WHO IS THE BEST INTERNET PROVIDER ?

corrias

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
And who offers the best deals ? this is important because without internet this forum would not be possible nor this post .

A

Anonymous

Shouty headline deserves a shouty response.

SKY @ £5.00 PER MONTH WITH OTHER PRODUCTS

emotion-5.gif

not a bad service , speed and download amount actually on the basic package.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
You get what you pay for.........so the cheapest isn't necessarily the best.

What are you priorities - good service, UK support, unlimited downloads etc. etc.

I still say the true sign of a good ISP is when something actually goes wrong and you find out how they deal with it.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
brendonw:

What are you priorities - good service, UK support, unlimited downloads etc. etc.

I still say the true sign of a good ISP is when something actually goes wrong and you find out how they deal with it.

Here here. After the folly of trying to find the cheapest ISP I've settled on Plusnet - definitely not the cheapest, but for £20 you can choose between 2 packages - unlimited downloads or guaranteed line speed at all times (and a 40gb d/l limit). I went for the former and have never had any cause to complain about the speed in any case (and I checked before taking the plunge that they will let you switch between the 2 packages if you're not happy).

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
brendonw:

Completely agree. I was with Pipex for years on Dial Up and then Broadband and it was a matter of weeks from being taken over by Tiscali that the performance and customer service nosedived.

I ended up going with a small company called Fast. Have been with them nearly two years now and can't praise them highly enough. They're regularly near the top of the ispreview list of ISP's.

A

Anonymous

I have been with 'Vodafone at home' for around 3 years now.
Line rental, unlimited 24/7 free UK calls, broadband with no download restrictions.

All for £25 mth. It is on BT lines and I get 6mg + speed so streaming off i player is a doddle.

Have found it very reliable off a wireless modem network around the home.

Gozaradio: I ended up going with a small company called Fast. Have been with them nearly two years now and can't praise them highly enough. They're regularly near the top of the ispreview list of ISP's.

Blimey.....they are expensive!!
emotion-8.gif

The only problem with these small companies is.....they get swallowed up by larger ones & their customer service plummets.

I've been with BT Total Broadband for 3 years now......absolutely top notch customer service & technical support. Ulimited download limit, & doesn't slow down during peak time, all for £15 a month (including the loyalty discount).

A

Anonymous

bigboss:I've been with BT Total Broadband for 3 years now......absolutely top notch customer service & technicalÿsupport. Ulimited download limit, & doesn't slow down during peak time, all for £15 a month (including the loyalty discount).

Ditto. Great service too - our hub went pear-shaped after our contract period had expired - they sent a new one first class the next day at no cost.

T

the record spot

From personal experience, O2 are excellent. £12.99 a month unlimited, UK based helpdesks and the service has been near faultless. Less than impressed by many of the £5.99 a month only to find in small print "for the first three months" right next to the price. No good when it goes back up to a similar price as we're paying.

Oh, the other thing for us was the O2 deal being a rolling and not 12 month minimum contract. Important for us to have the flexibility to move if we wanted to.

athenry:

bigboss:I've been with BT Total Broadband for 3 years now......absolutely top notch customer service & technical support. Ulimited download limit, & doesn't slow down during peak time, all for £15 a month (including the loyalty discount).

Ditto. Great service too - our hub went pear-shaped after our contract period had expired - they sent a new one first class the next day at no cost.

Oh yes, even my router was changed for free when it went bust after 2 years of use.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Which? puts Zen Internet Ltd (who??) top of the pile: "It has been a Best Buy since 2005, and this time round received top marks (five stars) for nearly all individual satisfaction elements, falling down only on value for money, for which it got three stars."

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I used Freeola For years with no problems , with only having to phone the helpline due to the loss of internet twice and i never had to wait longer than a couple of minutes to get through .

But i'm now with talk talk thinking at would be best to go for a cheap deal . now my line drops from time to time , the speed really slows down at times and to get through to tech help , i've run out of time waiting twice now

Once i'm out of the 2 year contract i will possibly go back to freeola ( small company who value there customers )

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
We have a NTL/Virgin fibre optic 20Mb connection, it is the best service I have ever had with a really fast connection and it has only gone off line twice in a year. I was with AOL before that over the phone line on an upto 8Mb connection, average service with mixed speeds and the service used to go off line on a regular basis as AOL ermm did upgrades.

The worst though was when they moved all their servers out of the uk, almost two months of extrememly poor connections and download speeds. AOL denied they were doing anything until I quoted a report I spoted online and a nice little tool my mate told me about that shows you all the different servers your connection goes through to reach base, with their ip adress and what the ping is between each stop. We did recieve three months free though for the hassle.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
SpiceWeasel:

The worst though was when they moved all their servers out of the uk, almost two months of extrememly poor connections and download speeds. AOL denied they were doing anything until I quoted a report I spoted online and a nice little tool my mate told me about that shows you all the different servers your connection goes through to reach base, with their ip adress and what the ping is between each stop. We did recieve three months free though for the hassle.

Nice one Spice. Though its ridiculous what people have to do just to prove something these days! Personally I wouldnt ever touch AOL with a bargepole

Im with Virgin too, fanatastic service except for the slowing down of my speed after so much downloading

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:Which? puts Zen Internet Ltd (who??) top of the pile: "It has been a Best Buy since 2005, and this time round received top marks (five stars) for nearly all individual satisfaction elements, falling down only on value for money, for which it got three stars."

I put our business line on Zen 5 years ago and they are quite simply brilliant.Absolutely no issues.Might not be private user orientated but if you want a business line,absolutely top notch.

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:
Gozaradio: I ended up going with a small company called Fast. Have been with them nearly two years now and can't praise them highly enough. They're regularly near the top of the ispreview list of ISP's.

Blimey.....they are expensive!!
emotion-8.gif

The only problem with these small companies is.....they get swallowed up by larger ones & their customer service plummets.

Absolutely, and the moment this happens, I'll move on to the next one. It has happened to me twice with domain and web hosting companies but there's always someone else out there. However, comparing my experience with Fast versus my own experience with Tiscali, my friends experience with Virgin, my fathers experience with BT, my brothers experience with Orange and my brother-in-laws experience with Talk Talk, I'm happy to pay the extra. As much as anything, I need business-like uptime and support without paying astronomical business rates.

I'm currently on a Fibre To The Cabinet Package (40Mb Down, 2Mb Up) with a 45Gb Download limit, unlimited uploads (which is important for me). There is no port blocking, absolutely no throttling and no restrictions. Instant knowledgable English speaking human on a standard rate landline number and excellent service. Worth every penny of the £26.99 I pay a month.

Like I say, I've been with them 2 years and nothing but praise. It's like all the kit we talk about on these forums, you generally get what you pay for. I view the likes of Sky, Orange, Talk Talk, etc. in the same way as a cheap all in one home cinema system or mini hifi; perfectly adequate for many people's needs but if you want or need the best, separates are the only way to go.

A

Anonymous

I take the length of contract into consideration, as a lot of the cheaper deals can tie you into a period of at least 12 months.

I am with ICUK, using the Cable & Wireless/Bulldog LLU - and am very happy - but it is on a monthly contract, so if I am uhappy over a period of time, allows me to swtich.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts