Who is planning to go to the Bristol show?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
For the detailed show report. Especially drummerman , ellisdj and Jonathan RD. Really enjoyed your detailed insights on different kit there . A big thanks for taking the effort to share :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Pleasure and likewise to the others, many thanks.

Here is a link to my PFM write up which I have tidied up so it's easier to read if anyone is interested. -

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/anybody-going-to-sound-and-vision-bristol.211126/page-3

I am looking forward to my next show, perhaps the WAM at the end of March.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hawkwind16 said:
Macspur said:
Hawkwind16 said:
My first hi fi show.

Parking was £12.50 ! Never seen so many middle aged guys in scruffy clothes !

I discovered that i don't like a lot of top end hi fi ! I hate aggressive trebles and can't be bothered with floor shaking bass, I think like a detailed warm sound. I certainly won't be spending £40k on a top range Naim set up !

I tended to spend little time in each room and I'm currently looking at speakers so that was my focus. Like others hear I was very impressed with the ATC active speakers and will definately check out ATC scm11 / 19 speakers at some point. Also the large panel (electrostatic speakers?) in another room and the Spendors impressed.

I wanted to listen to Harbeth, but wasn't impressed - strangely fuzzy and vague (where they using a Marantz cd 6006 as a source?)

Listened to the Chord Qutest - quite nice.

Next time I'll take more time.

Strange about the Harbeth! never been called fuzzy before.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Yes surprised me given their reputation, but i didn't stay long and wouldn't mind listening again

Yes, if you get the chance to hear some in a proper listening environment, definitely do and I think you'll change your mind

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
Pleasure and likewise to the others, many thanks.

Here is a link to my PFM write up which I have tidied up so it's easier to read if anyone is interested. -

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/anybody-going-to-sound-and-vi...

I am looking forward to my next show, perhaps the WAM at the end of March.

Hey Drummerman

I didn't see much audiovisual gear - was there a TV section ?

I also didn't see any portable radio's - Trannies.

*scratch_one-s_head*

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a little late to the party, but I thought I'd add a few observations from my experience of the Bristol Show on the Friday.

In general

Noticeably less AV, more 2-channel. I did go into the WHF demo, but they were concentrating more on Dolby Vision than the sound department. There seemed so much to see at the show this year. I tried to do more listening to full demos rather than room-hopping, but as a result only saw about half of it. I felt sorry for Leema on the top floor...I hope they got some punters through the door. But a full show with some well-prepared presentations, even if ultimately the products themselves weren't always to my taste.

Good demos

I must admit the B&W's weren't quite my cuppa, but full marks for a very professional and well-considered demo.

Cyrus also worthy of note. The staff were very helpful in demoing the Cyrus One later in the day even though they hadn't got it all rigged up and ready. They treated my like a customer rather than just saying 'no', so that was appreciated.

Standout Products

Focal Listen headphones

Really liked the sound of these. Beautiful tonal balance: natural but exciting. Very musical. And not daftly expensive.

Quad

I was extremely impressed with the S1's and the Artera amp. I was amazed that the 75wpc all-in-one could even think about driving the electrostatics they also had in the room, and I do appreciate they were playing vocals rather than bass-heavy techno, but still a quality piece of kit. I was intrigued by the little S1 standmounters. I loved the tonal balance, which is so often my bugbear with many hifi products. Our hearing is very sensitive to the human voice and if it doesn't sound real, if it sounds artificially shouty, then it's just wrong. Quad really got this spot on, so really impressed. It also underscores that it's not all about money. These are the cheapest speakers Quad produce.

The only criticism was they sounded a little boxey. I would have loved to hear the Z1's or Z2's, which with their larger drivers, taller ribbons and curved enclosures, should in theory sound much better again. If I was in the market for a pair of standmounters, the Z1's or Z2's would be at the top of the shortlist certainly.

Neat

This is the second time I've been really impressed by Neat's sound. I heard the new Iota Explorers and the Iota Alphas. I just loved everything about them. As close as you can get to the real instruments in the room. Very very natural sound. Lovely timing, attack and musicality without ever sounding harsh or artificial. And as far as the Alphas go, not silly money either. I love the look too (although my friends with me didn't at all!). I just really like the idea fo something really capable that's nearly invisible in the room. Good to see the availability of speaker covers on all the Iota range too - it's now a real option to those with young kids with the propensity of poking at shiny things,

PMC

This was an impressive demo for sure. But the speakers were firmly in hig-end wallet territory, a was the amplification, so I had the feeling that it should have been good at that price. I was more impressed by cheapers systems I heard that seemed to offer nearly as much: certainly as much musical enjoyment if not outright ability.

Ruark

I'm a die-hard Ruark fan. I own 7 of their speakers circa 2006. They continue to out-perform 80% of speakers I listen to today. My Talisman III's have a lovely natural open breathy midrange but with fantastic jaw-dropping timing. Sadly, but understandably from an economic perspective, they decided to ditch traditional speaker manufacture for the emerging bluetooth speaker / DAB radio / multi-room market so I'm always interested to see their stand. If I had the need, the little MR1's look just lovely. They have an optical input and can be paired with a subwoofer (they said the REL zero works very well). Certainly a product I'd choose over a soundbar any time of the week.

Their yet-to-be released officially MRX's at £399 each look very interesting indeed. They look aimed at the Sonos 3/5. Can be paired as a stereo pair. With Ruark's speaker pedigree I would imagine they's give the Sonos a real run for their money. Unfortunately as their stall was in the area near the bar proper listening wasn't really possible, but one to watch nonetheless.

I know when I've missed the show previously I've been grateful for the comments fo those that did make it so I hope this is useful to somebody.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I agree neat and pmc are stand outs. I wasn’t that impressed with quad last year, but might have been just the set up. But on pmc, the smaller speakers easily equal the quality of larger variants if not doing things in such a well rounded fashion.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I wasn't dissing the PMC's at all: they were very capable. The bass was just how I like it, but again the amplification's quality would have much to do with the palpable grip.

But I did note how I came away from the show as impressed at systems that were very reasonably priced as those in real high-end territory. Wilson Benesch's pricing made me laugh out loud. Really.

I would have been just as happy with the Heed Elixir / Neat Iota Alpha combo as anything Wilson Benesch had to offer, although if bling is what you're after there's clearly no contest.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

There are differences in the Wilson and neat as if you’ve got the money and no object, I’d have have the Wilson, but these shows always show the differences are nowhere near the price. Law of dim returns.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davidf said:
I was doing a bit of observing at the Bristol Show, and although I used to do it myself to some extent, it baffles me why some people bother going.

Youll see people shuffling down the corridor, reaching a door, looking up at the name above it, look down, shuffle on. And people will do this for the majority of the floor. You can almost read their minds as to what they’re thinking: first door, ”never heard of them”. Next door, “I have no idea what they’re showing, but I’m not interested”. Next door, “I don’t like that brand, as I heard one of their amps in 1982 and didn’t like it. Ive never heard anything they’re done since, but I don’t like them”. And it goes on.

Virtually any visitor to the Bristol Show has spent the good part of £15/20 getting in, plus parking, plus their food and drink bill for the day (or weekend), plus whatever it cost them to get there. That’s not cheap, and will exceed £50 easily. So why not take the time to visit more rooms?! Why not give a manufacturer you don’t like another chance?! Widen your experience whilst you have the chance to, as no hi-fi store in the U.K. has that kind of selection to listen to! Skipping rooms may well have made you miss your perfect next upgrade...
Was SVS new tower floor standing speakers there ? they meant to sound really good

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thoroughly enjoyed reading your observations, and thanks for taking the time to share it.

As Mr.david pointed out, a great opportunity to hear many systems at once. And though I haven't made it to any shows so far, folks like you sharing your experiences takes me as close as I will ever be to the real thing. Thanks again :)

Blacksabbath25 said:
Was SVS new tower floor standing speakers there ? they meant to sound really good
As I was working the show this year, and was pretty much useless on the Sunday due to picking up the "Bristol bug", I didn't really get much time to visit many rooms. I did *** into the SVS room as I know a couple of years ago it was a talking point because the SB16 Ultra was first being shown (with Primare AV electronics), and there were many reports of the room not sounding very good. For the brief time I was in there, it was sounding excellent (with Emotiva AV electronics), although a film wasn't playing, it was a demo disc to show off Atmos with wooshy effects etc, but everything sounded in the right place, balance was excellent, and bass was deep, punchy, and controlled. I was going to say that I would hazard a guess that it was the best of the (admittedly not many) AV rooms that were present - but I do believe it did win an award for best sounding AV room.

I was doing a bit of observing at the Bristol Show, and although I used to do it myself to some extent, it baffles me why some people bother going.

Youll see people shuffling down the corridor, reaching a door, looking up at the name above it, look down, shuffle on. And people will do this for the majority of the floor. You can almost read their minds as to what they’re thinking: first door, ”never heard of them”. Next door, “I have no idea what they’re showing, but I’m not interested”. Next door, “I don’t like that brand, as I heard one of their amps in 1982 and didn’t like it. Ive never heard anything they’re done since, but I don’t like them”. And it goes on.

Virtually any visitor to the Bristol Show has spent the good part of £15/20 getting in, plus parking, plus their food and drink bill for the day (or weekend), plus whatever it cost them to get there. That’s not cheap, and will exceed £50 easily. So why not take the time to visit more rooms?! Why not give a manufacturer you don’t like another chance?! Widen your experience whilst you have the chance too, as no hi-fi store in the U.K. has that kind of selection to listen to! Skipping rooms may well have made you miss your perfect next upgrade...

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I'd like to add my thanks to everyone who's taken the time to post reviews and comments, although I went (on the Friday) I really think I was wondering around in a little world of my own, I missed quite a lot that you've reported.

However, I really enjoyed the Kef LS50W demo, bit of a surprise if I'm honest, they've kind of thrown my future plans into chaos, or should I say they've opened my eyes to other possibilities, I'd be concerned if they can't do gapless though, also unfortunate that they don't come in white and blue.

I did make it up to the thin atmosphere of the 10th floor to hear the Leemas, shame Lee Taylor was in deep conversation with some other guests so I didn't get to hear the Antila/Tucana pair powering those huge ATCs to the best of their ability I'm sure that would have been really impressive, I had meant to pop back later but I forgot, durr!

I poked my head into the Wilson Benesch room a couple of times but frankly I couldn't stand the music they were playing (a common problem at shows), I've always been very fond of WB speakers but they never seem to play anything that demonstrate their ability, to my ears anyway, very disappointing.

Also a little disappointed that Acoustic Energy didn't have a pair of AE1 actives, but I appreciate they're promoting a new range this year, although AEJim offered to make a pair available if I want to hear them, he even said I could pop into their factory if I ever go through Cirencester, which is a nice idea *biggrin*

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Thoroughly enjoyed reading your observations, and thanks for taking the time to share it.

As Mr.david pointed out, a great opportunity to hear many systems at once. And though I haven't made it to any shows so far, folks like you sharing your experiences takes me as close as I will ever be to the real thing. Thanks again :)

Cheers Newlash.

My only regret was that we just ran out of time and only got the chance to see about half of it. I'll start on the top floor and work my way down next time.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
davidf said:

Virtually any visitor to the Bristol Show has spent the good part of £15/20 getting in, plus parking, plus their food and drink bill for the day (or weekend), plus whatever it cost them to get there. That’s not cheap, and will exceed £50 easily. So why not take the time to visit more rooms?! Why not give a manufacturer you don’t like another chance?! Widen your experience whilst you have the chance too, as no hi-fi store in the U.K. has that kind of selection to listen to! Skipping rooms may well have made you miss your perfect next upgrade...

This is a fair point. From my three visits to the show I was quite disappointed with some of the usual suspects but really surprised at the quality of products I didn't previously know well at all.

I wouldn't have really had Anthem on my radar had it not been for the demo a few years ago, which considering it was an AV receiver, was even more remarkable that it was the most impressive demo I listened to at the show that year. So, it was sad not to see them represented here this year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts