Which way round?

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
In the process of revamping my home cinema room. I've currently got the seating under the window and the TV on the opposite wall. I've started to wonder if I should be reversing this so the TV screen has its back to the window, or not? The TV is not used as such, as it isn't connected to an aerial socket and is only used for movie watching, so the curtains are invariably drawn on these occasions, but as the aerial socket is over the window side of the room that could be changed. What do ya reckon?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I would put the TV on the plain wall, opposite the window.

You could put some plasterboard shutters over the window opening if you're dedicating the room to media use, remove them quite easily if / when you sell the house, or just get some really good lined curtains or a huge picture.

If you put the TV in the window, it will get obsured by sunlight coming through the window, and it's easier for burglars to see and steal the TV. Also, I'd worry about UV light affecting the plastics and the resulting heat affecting the TV's innards. It's also a lot easier to fix wall mounts to walls than it is to glass :)

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I don't have to worry about the burglar aspect, as the room isn't on the ground floor, but some of your other points make sense. I don't feel a strong need to completely block out the window, as I feel curtains will suffice...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
simonali said:
I don't have to worry about the burglar aspect, as the room isn't on the ground floor, but some of your other points make sense. I don't feel a strong need to completely block out the window, as I feel curtains will suffice...

Back in the 90s, double glazing was pretty much past its prime, so double glazing companies had switched, quite a bit, to trying to sell glass conservatories to people.

My home address, in Aberdeen, was 20 Craigton Drive. Just 20 Craigton Drive - that's important as you read on. I used to get a lot and I mean a lot of calls from said double glazing companies. So much so that in the end I succombed to their offers of free estimates and asked them to come by.

The looks on the faces as they realised 20 Craigton Drive is a first floor flat...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The guy across the hall was (still is) a professional bagpipe player. Honestly. Neil Selby is his name, you can google him.

Home cinema would have been the least of the enighbours' worries...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts