Which TV

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am in the market for a new TV, 37-40 in size.

Ideally it needs to be 1080p compatable and I need to be able to get the best out of a 60gb PS3.

As I am quite new to all this I would appreciate some recomendations from people who have more knowledge than me.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ste

A

Anonymous

How much ya got to spend? New models are always coming thick and fast, it all comes down to budget !

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for being a bit vague.

Budget would be upto £1000.

I have been looking at the Sony KDL40W4000 was wondering what people thing.

A

Anonymous

Well, it certainly fits the bill for your requirements and budget. If you spend any time on these forums you will see a lot of discussion about Sony and Panasonic sets and they typically get 5-star ratings. Bear in mind that with Panasonic you have the option for Plasma as well as LCD.

Start with the online reviews here: http://whathifi.com/Reviews/Televisions-Reviews/Televisions-Reviews/Rule-Price-601-1000!1,Star-Rating-5-stars!3/

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago (but with smaller budget) and ultimately opted for a Sony V3000 and PS3; I couldn't stretch to the W3000 and the 4000 range hadn't been announced. In part, my decision was influenced by the fact that I have a Sony DVD Recorder also and BRAVIA sync was therefore attractive. Consider what other equipment you may wish to connect and how it will all integrate.

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
How good is your V3000, because I have thought about that one as well, and seen it advertised for a very good price.

As for other equipment its really only the 60gb PS3, as we have lots of old PS1 and PS2 game.

A

Anonymous

I'm very pleased with the V3000, watching Blu-Ray discs on the PS3 is breathtaking and the PS3 games look good too. It's not going to matter too much if you're playing a lot of PS1 and PS2 games - no need to spend too much other than for any future HD stuff you may want.

One area where the V3000 fell down for me was watching tennis from a SD source, the serving action of players appeared blurred. As you will read on other forum posts the quality of the SD picture on an HD set is variable depending on the quality of the source. I usually find mainstream channels such as BBC1 still look very good.

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Had a quick measure of where the new TV is going to go and it appears that a 40/42 is going to be to big.

I am now looking at a max size of 37". Just been reading about a Panasonic 37", the TX37LDZ70, its got 5 stars from what hi-fi and by all accounts its very good. I have found it for sale for well under £600 and was wondering is this the one to buy?

A

Anonymous

Miggs: I am now looking at a max size of 37". Just been reading about a Panasonic 37", the TX37LDZ70, its got 5 stars from what hi-fi and by all accounts its very good. I have found it for sale for well under £600 and was wondering is this the one to buy?That's last years model. The What Hifi best buy 37" on this site is the Panny 37PX80, still around £570.

A

Anonymous

Just spotted that Sony have just released a 37" version of their v4000 - it is selling for under £600 online - this may be a suitable option - the only issue is it is so new there are unlikely to be any reviews yet?

A

Anonymous

hi i think that once you play HD ps3 game you will not want to play ps1 or ps2 games anymore,thats what i thought anyway.

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
What does anybody think of the Hitachi L37X01.

It appeares to tick all the right boxes, and at a very good price.

Anybody any thoughts?

Thanks Again.

A

Anonymous

Miggs:

What does anybody think of the Hitachi L37X01.

It appeares to tick all the right boxes, and at a very good price.

Anybody any thoughts?

Thanks Again.
Seen a couple of reviews, both say the that the lack of black level let the set down badly. What's wrong with the Panny 37PX80?

A

Anonymous

Miggs:Nothing wrong with it at all, its just that I would prefer something that takes 1080p.The PX80 will take a 1080p source, and BluRay 24p, and is 100Hz. The panel is 720p, but unless you sit on top of your TV you are unlikely to tell the difference between the 1080 and 720 panels.

A

Anonymous

simoncar:hi i think that once you play HD ps3 game you will not want to play ps1 or ps2 games anymore,thats what i thought anyway.

Not entirely true, if you have played games such as God of War 1 and 2 you will instantly realise that the PS3 still has a long way to go, even Tekken 5 still looks amazing. PS2 games are still a must!

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Whats the difference between the px80 and the px8.

I have just read a few more reviews and I am warming to the idea of one of these tv's.

They are for sale at just over £500 at currys online, anyone know of any better prices?

A

Anonymous

The PX80 is the better model. Better contrast, more shades of colour, Vreal 3, more connections, SD card, and looks better.

Littlwoods Direct have the PX80 with 10% off using discount code XX869. Works out at £517. PX8 is £20 cheaper.

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just found the 37px80 via a company on Ebay for £585 delivered with a 5 year warranty?

What does anybody think?

Thanks Ste

A

Anonymous

You don't need 1080p for a TV 37-40", so buy a 720p 42" Pioneer PDP-4280XD for £1,200. The colour and contrast is better than the others, no exception.

A

Anonymous

hey, thought i had found my ideal set up, sony kdl 40w4000, stand, and sony blu ray s350 or whatever. But now iv seen theÿSamsung LE40A656A. what tv is better???

A

Anonymous

Go with the Sony W4500. It is supposed to be the best LCD on the market for now.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I am happy with my LZD 85 Panny 37 that is nearly 6 months old. It looks elegant and has the x/y 100Hz 24 fps 3 HDMI and is Full HD to boot. See my review on What Hifi when you click on the Model Number and I paid the full asking price as I purchased it on release. Apparently it can withstand a Wii Controller thrown at it but I am a bit loathe to test this theory for obvious reasons
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts