Which Turntable ???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for a Turntable. I have my heart set on a Rega 3 24 with Elys 2 Blue. But not sure if my current system justifies the £500 price tag. I've heard the Project Expression III with 2M Red. £325. Any views on these 2 TT considering my system below? Has anybody got any other recommendations?

John Duncan

[quote user="ssvirk"]Hi,

I'm looking for a Turntable.

I have my heart set on a Rega 3 24 with Elys 2 Blue.
But not sure if my current system justifies the £500 price tag.

I've heard the Project Expression III with 2M Red. £325.

Any views on these 2 TT considering my system below?

Has anybody got any other recommendations?[/quote]

Split the difference and get a Project RPM5.2 (375 at Superfi last time I looked), save the money for a cartridge upgrade. Fabulous and gorgeous (if you can live without a lid).

A

Anonymous

Was considering the RPM5.2, but as you say, I'm not sure I can deal with it being LID-LESS.

Any others?

A

Anonymous

It would be the Xpression 3 for me sub-£500, purely because it looks so damned gorgeous! Upgrade the cartridge when you get bored...

A

Anonymous

Ditto for the Xpression III. Currently using it with cyrus 6vs and monitor audio RS1 speakers and I am finding it hard to not play record after record. Hence i'm posting this at 12.25 am rather than going to sleep (steely dan on currently).

Am currently looking to get the speedbox for the convenience and as it may possibly improve the sonic performance (better speed stability i think). For me definitely more soul to the music than when listening to CDs.

John

John Duncan

RPM5.2. Buy a blower brush from a camera store, gets rid of the dust. Or use the white cotton gloves that come in the box. Lids are like big resonating....things.....that make the sound worse. G'wan g'wan g'wan - you won't be disappointed. Lots of potential for upgrade as well - cartridge first (a dealer will probably do you a deal on an upgrade to something around the 150 quid mark for the same price as the rega), one of the two speed-changing power supplies, better phono stage........

And it's gorgeous, did I mention that? Even my wife thinks it's sexy.

T

the record spot

Consider the secondhand market too - £400 or so will get you into Roksan Radius or Nottingham Analogue Interspace or Horizon territory without much trouble. They'll easily outperform the Pro-Ject and possibly the Rega too. They'll also withstand upgrades to the rest of your system in time.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="the record spot"]£400 or so will get you into Roksan Xerxes or Nottingham Analogue Interspace or Horizon territory without much trouble. [/quote]

Thanks Record Spot,

Where can I find these 2nd hand for £400 ? especially the Xerxes !!

To be honest I've only heard of the Xerxes, going to check www for the other 2 you mention.

T

the record spot

My error - I meant Roksan Radius - NOT the Xerxes! Apologies all round! Still a decent TT though.

I was going to send you a PM, but can't seem to find the option - have a look at the back pages of some of the other hi-fi mags out there; Hi Fi World has a section where dealers list used gear.

Check out the Retro Reproduction website - Edinburgh based shop. I can rcommend them having bought my Linn Mimik from them last year. Excellent range and their stock online isn't HALF of what they have indoors!

EDIT - Just checked the RR site again and they have BOTH a Xerxes and a Radius(no arm). They also have a Xerxes Phono stage on a different screen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts