Which Subwoofer?

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Looking at getting a pre-used subwoofer for my office system, which comprises of
- PC as Source
- Khadas Tone 1 DAC
- SMSL SA300 Amplifier (as it has a single RCA Sub socket)
- Q Acoustic 2010i Speakers
- QED Interconnect and Speaker Cables

Considering the following based on price, with similar specs;
- KEF 20B @ £89
- Tannoy SFX 5.1 @ £99
- Q Acoustics 1000S @ £119

Done some searching on line and none of them are top of class but appear reasonable and may be suitable for a secondary office system.

Has the collective got any experience of these and any recommendations you can give.

Thanks in advance.

DG…

Last edited:
Looking at getting a pre-used subwoofer for my office system, which comprises of
- PC as Source
- Khadas Tone 1 DAC
- SMSL SA300 Amplifier
- Q Acoustic 2010i Speakers
- QED Interconnect and Speaker Cables

Considering the following based on price, with similar specs;
- KEF 20B @ £89
- Tannoy SFX 5.1 @ £99
- Q Acoustics 1000S @ £119

Done some searching on line and none of them are top of class but appear reasonable and may be suitable for a secondary office system.

Has the collective got any experience of these and any recommendations you can give.

Thanks in advance.

DG…
Why do you need a subwoofer in an office set up?
Get your main speakers sorted.

Reactions: DiggyGun

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
After having been looking for a subwoofer, have decided not to get one.

Initially was looking for a Hi-Fi one, rather than an AV one. It was only out of curiosity and to have a play to see what the effect was as the amp has a sub out socket.

I must admit I was surprised by the prices of these. For me, this was going to be an experiment for something to try, not knowing if one was actually needed.

I was always happy with the sound I am getting, so will continue to listen to the Jazz and enjoy it.

DG….

Reactions: Al ears

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Strange turn of events.

I hadn’t cancelled the search on eBay and one popped up with no Watchers and a low start bid of £15.00. With only 30 minutes to go and no bids, I put a bid in.

I won, so now own a Wharfedale Moviestar 60+ Subwoofer and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 Speakers.

Not bad for £15.00, so now to play and see what happens.

If it doesn’t work, I can re-sell them on eBay.

DG…

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
So set up the subwoofer, got a suitable subwoofer cable from Amazon and away we went.

Tried the various settings on it and on the amp, but just couldn’t get it to sound right for me. There was either too much rumble or barely any effect. Maybe, being placed on a suspended wooden floor didn’t help. Tried playing with the different EQ settings on the amp, but still could not get the sound I liked. You could also manually adjust the treble and bass settings on the amp, but even after trying that, same again.

In the end, disconnected the subwoofer and played with the EQ settings on the amp of which there are six. Ended up using the SBD setting on the amp, which for me sounded the most natural, clear and had a fairly good bass sound without being too loud or boomy.

I’m glad that I tried a subwoofer and I’m not disappointed that it didn’t work out and, as they say, “Nothing ventured, nothing gained”. At least I tried it and enjoyed the experience of doing so. Not for me, but I did learn a bit more about the amp and it’s EQ settings.
Put the subwoofer and speakers on eBay as two separate items. The speakers sold for £62.00 and the subwoofer sold for £36. So all in all, not a bad profit on the initial investment of £15.00.
Hopefully, someone else will benefit from and get some enjoyment from these.

DG…

Attachment.png

Reactions: WayneKerr and Noddy

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I really think you need to pay a bit more for a subwoofer with a more music based scenario, something from rel, svs or bk electronics, the rel t-zero mkii that I own is a great wee sub and easy integrates into my system, On another note, the sub out on your amplifier isn't actually the best way for connection, rel provides a specific high level cable with its subs and they actually connect to the speakers terminals, this is the way.😁

Gray

the rel t-zero mkii that I own is a great wee sub and easy integrates into my system, On another note, the sub out on your amplifier isn't actually the best way for connection, rel provides a specific high level cable with its subs and they actually connect to the speakers terminals, this is the way.😁
You must like bass.
I had a demo of your Neat Petite Classic recently....as small as they are, I can only say I wouldn't feel the need for a sub with them.

On your other point, what's the reasoning behind high level being the preferred sub connection?
If I did use one, I'd prefer not to connect to my amp's speaker outputs (given the choice).

Reactions: DiggyGun

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
You must like bass.
I had a demo of your Neat Petite Classic recently....as small as they are, I can only say I wouldn't feel the need for a sub with them.

On your other point, what's the reasoning behind high level being the preferred sub connection?
If I did use one, I'd prefer not to connect to my amp's speaker outputs (given the choice).
Yeah, I'm with you on that the little Neats have plenty of bass and aren't found wanting (for a small standmount anyway), but I already had the subwoofer to compliment my previous pmc twenty 21's , and the rel does give that bit more extension so I decided to keep it in the system..

.oh and I'm no electronic engineer but I'm sure the high level connection is preferred by rel, possibly something to do with the subwoofer getting exactly the same information as the speakers, this method doesn't take any power from the amplifier, just a signal as the sub as you probably are well aware is a active unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiggyGun and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts