Which Sub?

Brek

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Just got reinterested in home cinema, after getting fed up of sitting a room that resembled a hifi dealer more than a living room (This was the kit list at the time: rel strata sub, pioneer 925d laser disc player, sky box, on digital box, dvd player, kenwood dolby digital amp, arcam alpha 9 cd player, pre amp and 2 x power amps into dynaudio speakers for left and right, a really crappy sony centre speaker, and celestion surrounds) It sounded awesome and really did the job well, this time however going for a very local key approach, So I have got rid of hi fi, ripped all cds to a 1 tb nas drive and plugged into a onkyo 609 reciever, running minx 10's as front height and rear surround and kef q100 and q200 at the front, went for the minxs as really want a low key approach, but wondering now how they'll intergrate with a sub as they generally roll of at 120 hz for LFE, dont think the minxs put out much below 130 hz, so seeking advice on a suitable sub, looked at the minx options and the two smaller ones don't any deeper than my stereo pair do, and not spending £550 on the largest of the three, so given budget of around £300 whats available?

A

Anonymous

Superfi have the MJA Pro 50 mk2 on offer (£299) at the moment. I have the Mk1 and it is a superb and small sub. The Mk2 is more powerful and supposed to be even better.

It has both High level and low level inputs which is useful.

BK make great subs too (I have an XXLS400DF which is really good), but I did wait quite a few weeks for delivery, but the Gemini is only £215, and the bigger 200 is a touch over budget at £315.

But considering your desire for low-key, the MJA is hard to beat. I have mine in my 5.1 system and it isn't visible from the seating position :)

By the way there is a review, here

Brek

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I am so out of the loop with modern kit, picked up a copy of what hi if (awards issue) and rel were no where to be seen LOL, will have a look at those subs as they certainly tick the boxes, both the m&J and the bk200, thankyou for your well considered reply.

A

Anonymous

If I was you, I would sell the minx, and replace with 2 sets of T101 speakers which would add a far better matching soundstage, then look for a deal at somewhere like HIFIX who usually have some good deals on ex-demo subs. You may have to do it gradually, but IMO it will sound so much better.(I used to own the min20s as rears).

Brek

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
If it were up to me I'd have dipoles for the back and front heights, but I have to stick with room friendly (read wife friendy) small speakers, the minx are causing issues with me needing to look for a sub that goes to 200hz so the m&k is the front runner at the moment and it is slightly smaller than the BK one. I am not playing system at reference volume, we live in a semi and the neighbours wouldn't appreciate it, the minx are coping and they do produce a difused soundfield, time will tell if I become unhappy with the integration with the fronts.

Brek

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
If it were up to me I'd have dipoles for the back and front heights, but I have to stick with room friendly (read wife friendly) small speakers, the minx are causing issues with me needing to look for a sub that goes to 200hz so the m&k is the front runner at the moment and it is slightly smaller than the BK one. I am not playing system at reference volume, we live in a semi and the neighbors wouldn't appreciate it, the minx are coping and they do produce a diffused soundfield, time will tell if I become unhappy with the integration with the fronts.

A

Anonymous

Now that I have a new sub I shall be selling my BK XLS 200 MK2 FF sub which is only 11 months old. It is in light oak and a superb sub with high and low level connections. It has received great reviews.

A

Anonymous

There's a BK200 on ebay with a £200 buy it now. Day and a half left.

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
snivilisationism said:
Superfi have the MJA Pro 50 mk2 on offer (£299) at the moment. I have the Mk1 and it is a superb and small sub. The Mk2 is more powerful and supposed to be even better.

It has both High level and low level inputs which is useful.

BK make great subs too (I have an XXLS400DF which is really good), but I did wait quite a few weeks for delivery, but the Gemini is only £215, and the bigger 200 is a touch over budget at £315.

But considering your desire for low-key, the MJA is hard to beat. I have mine in my 5.1 system and it isn't visible from the seating position :)

By the way there is a review, here
The gemini is basically the same as the M, so no reason to fork out the extra on the MJ really, and the XLS200 is step up on both, so that would be the best choice there.

Brek

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I got a MJA 50mkii from superfi for £269 delivered, sounds pretty good for the size, although some of the stuff routed to the LFE on some film tracks seems a bit OTT, so shall have a play with various settings to tune it to my taste. Thanks for your input guys got just what I was looking for.

Brek

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I got a MJA 50mkii from superfi for £269 delivered, sounds pretty good for the size, although some of the stuff routed to the LFE on some film tracks seems a bit OTT, so shall have a play with various settings to tune it to my taste. Thanks for your input guys got just what I was looking for.

TRENDING THREADS