Which speakers to suit Cambridge CXA60

TheMaxx1997

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I´m planning on getting a Cambridge CXA60 at the end of the year and I´d like some well suited full-sized (not desk-speaker-size) loudspeakers to go with it. Can you recommend any? I´m also planing on adding a decent turntable (eg. Pro-Ject 2 Xperience) later on.

I´m listening to almost any music genre and I´ll most likely use them to watch movies too (yet music-listening is the main point here).

Room is around 3,5m by 3m -> I´ll sit around 2,5m away from these speakers.

My budget everything under £500.

What about the KEF Q500 or am I complete wrong there?

Or if the CXA60 is not that good of a choice and you´d recommend spending more money on the speakers than on the amplifier please suggest an amplifier suiting loudpseakers around >£500, with total budget around £1000.

With kind regards and many thanks in advance

Max

PS: I´m very sorry regarding my bad english, it´s not my main language.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Personally I'd like one of them amps, simply from what I have read, but I don't think it has a phono stage (I could be wrong), so that means adding one, at more cost, just something to keep in mind

TheMaxx1997

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
muljao said:
Personally I'd like one of them amps, simply from what I have read, but I don't think it has a phono stage (I could be wrong), so that means adding one, at more cost, just something to keep in mind

Ok thanks, yes it doesnt, but as much as i apprechiate your reply muljao thats not the point here :)

Thanks anyway

Kind regards

Max

insider9

Max, given that your budget is £1,000 you may find this recent thread interesting

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/digital-only-system-ps1000

In my opinion for room your size I'd be looking at standmount speakers with decent stands and not floorstanders. System synergy is most important so I'd start from choosing speakers as they make the biggest impact on what you hear and then to proceed to choose an amp that suits them.

Sound is very personal so without knowing what you like it will be difficult to advise. Try to describe what you think matters for you in a system and you may get a better answer. As a rule of thumb I'd spend more on speakers and less on an amp.

TheMaxx1997

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Max, given that your budget is £1,000 you may find this recent thread interesting

In my opinion for room your size I'd be looking at standmount speakers with decent stands and not floorstanders. System synergy is most important so I'd start from choosing speakers as they make the biggest impact on what you hear and then to proceed to choose an amp that suits them.

Sound is very personal so without knowing what you like it will be difficult to advise. Try to describe what you think matters for you in a system and you may get a better answer. As a rule of thumb I'd spend more on speakers and less on an amp.

Thank you very much insider9,

really apprechiate your reply.

Well I´m not very good at describing such things but I´ll try :D

I think, for me, its important that theres a clear seperation between instruments and voices, not that mudly sound that you would get from a bad player or such, further more it should be crisp yet also with a, i quess, normal amount of bass (if one can discribe it that way). I hope that is helpful, I´m sorry if not, I´m not often discribing these things :).

So what about the "Triangle Esprit Titus EZ" or the "KEF LS50" or "Dynaudio Emit M10" or "B&W 685 S2", which one would you choose and what amp to go with it?

Many thanks in advance and with kind regards

Max

insider9

TheMaxx1997 said:
insider9 said:

Thank you very much insider9,

really apprechiate your reply.

Well I´m not very good at describing such things but I´ll try :D

I think, for me, its important that theres a clear seperation between instruments and voices, not that mudly sound that you would get from a bad player or such, further more it should be crisp yet also with a, i quess, normal amount of bass (if one can discribe it that way). I hope that is helpful, I´m sorry if not, I´m not often discribing these things :).

So what about the "Triangle Esprit Titus EZ" or the "KEF LS50", which one would you choose and what amp to go with it?

Many thanks in advance and with kind regards

Max

Your description and most importantly your headphones in signature help to narrow it down. As a side note with such quality headphones you may struggle to find equally good speakers within your budget.

I've only read the review for Triangle Titus EZ they seem a great buy especially for circa £500. I have listened to KEF LS50 and personally wouldn't pay £800 for them. They're a very good speaker that many people rave about but didn't wow me. If you have an opportunity demo both.

From speakers up to £500 I've listened to my pick would be Dali Zensor 3 if you want musical and versatile speakers. And if you prefer more refined music Monitor Audio Bronze 2. These two are actually circa £300 leaving you money for amp and some to spare.

The fact you have a grand to spend doesn't mean you need to spend it all. Also after a while you may find that you find things you enjoy more or less hence you'll find yourself upgrading anyway.

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
You say you want 'clear separation between instruments and voices', 'not muddy', 'crisp, yet with good bass' -- how about KEF Q-300s? Their instrument / vocal separation is stunning, they have a really expressive, crisp midrange and great detail in the treble, and this is all balanced off with really good bass. The more expensive and altogether funkier KEF LS50s get all the attention, but the more humble Q-300s are seriously good hi-fi speakers. They are also heavily discounted at the moment. Orginal RRP was £450, but you can pick them up from most hi-fi outlets now for less than £300.

Certainly worth an audition.

gasolin

Al ears said:
gasolin said:
Q Acoustics concept 20, then you have some left for 2 pair of decent speker cable (bi wiring)

Save some money by looking at the Wharfdale Diamond 220 or even the Elac Debut B6, buy a decent pair of stands.... and don't bother bi-wiring.

I just feel if he want's something better he should look at the Q Acoustics concept 20 or even just the 2020i or 3020 since i feel the diamond 220 is to darks sounding needs a bit sparkle

gasolin said:
Al ears said:
gasolin said:
Q Acoustics concept 20, then you have some left for 2 pair of decent speker cable (bi wiring)

Save some money by looking at the Wharfdale Diamond 220 or even the Elac Debut B6, buy a decent pair of stands.... and don't bother bi-wiring.

I just feel if he want's something better he should look at the Q Acoustics concept 20 or even just the 2020i or 3020 since i feel the diamond 220 is to darks sounding needs a bit sparkle

Whilst I agree he should look at whatever he can get to audition your opinion of the 220's is just that. Did you heard them connected to a Cambridge amp? It's not how I would describe them but I guess that's just the point everyone is likely to hear something slightly different depending on location and their own ears.

Whatever, the OP is likely to hear something different again. Audition is the key.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts