Which speakers to keep?

TK311

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've been given some old b&w speakers from a friend moving countries, and im trying hard to figure out which to keep.

1. B&W DM603 S2.
These are my current speakers. I like the sound of this better, though sadly one side had a punched in tweeter which I took apart and smoothed out. However its lost some ferro fluid or something has happened, and the tweeter sounds quieter on this side, and therefore is slightly unbalanced. A replacement tweeter was sadly uneconomical.

2. B&W DM620
These are the ones ive picked up. The sound is definitely not as clear as the 603's, but all 3 speakers (tweeter + 2 woofers) on each side are healthy and well and are functioning normally. I hoped the tweeters were interchangeable but alas does not appear to be so.

It is a matter of personal taste i understand but they're both similar, and was just wondering which would give me further mileage if I happen to upgrade amplifiers.

I currently run these through a Musical Fidelity elektra e11.

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

TK311

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
If you sold the 620s could you buy a replacement 603 tweeter with the funds? Or even a tatty used pair of 603s for the parts?

That is a great idea. I'll see if i can sell it then purchase the replacement tweeter. The only place i could find it new was from the Netherlands for 90 euros, and as for a spares set, they're hard to come by here, i've tried most local classifieds, eBay, Amazon etc. so no luck with that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts