Which speakers and amp for budget setup?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

New to the forum and hifi and I'm looking to upgrade from PC speakers to some proper hi-fi stuff. Currently I'm using Creative t20 desktop speakers which are ok but they sound pretty fake and boxy compared to a set of real monitors. I would get monitors but I cant really justify spending £2-300 on a pair of active ones.

All I really use the speakers for is listening to music from my computer, watching films and gaming. I occasionally record guitar etc so I want a decent reproduction of that if possible. I'm using an edirol ua-25ex interface/soundcard, so the sound from my computer should be good enough quality to go into something hi-fi..

My budget is £100-200 for both an amp and speakers. I'm willing to go used on ebay etc. What I want is a pair of bookshelf speakers which can sound natural and clear without being boxy, boomy or harsh and have a fairly even frequency reproduction. The creative speakers I have now give me enough bass so I know I dont need a sub.

Basically what should I be looking at? I've been looking on richersounds and so far what seems most appropriate is a tangent amp for around £60 and a pair of Cambridge Audio S30s for £120 ish? I wouldnt mind going used if anyone has any better suggestions which will sound as good or better?

Thanks

matthewpiano

I'd go for Eltax Monitor IIIs or Tannoy F1 Customs for the speakers and then look for a good second hand amplifier for about £100-£120. One of the Rotels such as the RA930AX or an older Denon like the PMA250 would be far far superior to the Tangent amp.

A

Anonymous

Any reason you'd go for the Tannoys over the Cambridge S30 in particular or is it just a general improvement?

A

Anonymous

I agree with matt's suggestion but would also add the NAD C320 BEE as a recommend second hand amp in fact I think it's better than the ones mentioned. In terms of speakers yeah those are a good choice but also the Monitor Audio BR1's

matthewpiano

_tom_:Any reason you'd go for the Tannoys over the Cambridge S30 in particular or is it just a general improvement?

The Tannoys are at least as good as the S30s (if not better) and cheaper, leaving budget for a better amplifier. The S30s are very fussy about positioning as well and can sound very thick and syrupy if you are not careful. The Tannoys really get your feet tapping but they will need, and deserve, much better amplification than the Tangent.

Don't rule out the Eltax Monitor III. Cheap these days, and a very very capable speaker with a rhythmic and dynamic sound. Well made as well.

A

Anonymous

I was looking at those Eltax monitor 3s but read that they require decent stands to sound good. I'm hoping to just sit these on my desk, maybe on some isolation pads like auralex or something similar.

I'm also looking at the Rotel RA-01 amp, reckon it'll be good enough for the Tannoys?

A

Anonymous

tom, these isolation pads are okay nothing special, if you have no stands, just bluetack them down, you aren't guaranteed to have boom. Oh and by the way if you are looking for speakers with great bass and a really upfront sound, then you will love the Mission M71's or Mission M72;s they are both very cheap and even held down with bluetack sound class.

matthewpiano

hi fi newbie:

I agree with matt's suggestion but would also add the NAD C320 BEE as a recommend second hand amp in fact I think it's better than the ones mentioned. In terms of speakers yeah those are a good choice but also the Monitor Audio BR1's

Absolutely agree. The NAD C320BEE or C325BEE would make an excellent used buy. Can't believe I forgot about them. Brilliant amps. The BR1s are great (I have BR2s and love them) but you would need to find a pair second hand to fit your budget. Would work well with the NAD amps as well.

A

Anonymous

Tom, I recently bought a pair of used Tannoy Mercury M1 speakers from ebay for exactly the purpose you describe. They were not very expensive and seem to work well, with a natural and clear sound. In terms of an amplifier, the NADs mentioned so far are the classic budget home amps, and have good sound quality. I also like the Pioneer A400 or A300, which can be found on ebay from time to time, for the sound quality and the simplicity of use. Of course, these are just personal opinions, and others may differ. Have you also considered a pair of good headphones? I think they are often under-rated as an alternative to loudspeakers.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I have a pair of Grado SR80s but I dont like listening to stuff through headphones all the time.

Cant decide between hifi and studio monitors now! I havent heard any hifi stuff thats blown me away but then again I havent heard anything quality. I really like how my mates Mackie MR5 monitors sound so I'm tempted to go that route, but they're £250 for an ex demo pair :( I suppose they do include an amp which is matched to the speakers and enclosure though, so it saves faffing about with finding an amp and speakers that work well together...

A

Anonymous

You could do worse than visit Richer Sound on boxing day and tell them you want the VIP deal on the Cambridge A5 based system. £199.95 all in for CD player amp and speakers.

A

Anonymous

I'll have a look into that Cambridge A5 system, got a link to it or do I have to go instore to get it?

I was looking at those Audioengine A5s before, reckon its worth spending an extra £30 for KRK Rokit monitors or something though?

I like the idea of all in one powered speakers like the audioengines or monitors rather than an amp and speakers, because I move my setup between home and uni a lot.

Cheers

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:hi fi newbie:

Absolutely agree. The NAD C320BEE or C325BEE would make an excellent used buy. Can't believe I forgot about them. Brilliant amps.

why bother second hand? Empire Direct have got ONE left, at 70 quid...

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~NAD-C325BEE~dept~hifisep~subdept~AMPLIFIERS~brand~nad.htm

A

Anonymous

If you are still thinking of the Cambridge route, then dont miss out on this deal. It starts 10am on boxing day.

erdtikjl.png

A

Anonymous

Reckon that'd be a better option than Audioengine A5s? Those seem to be the best bet at the minute but that offer looks great..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts