Which Plinius pre/power that Clare rated so highly?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That is an absolutely storming £5100 combo, but it was actually the slightly more modest integrated amp and CD player - the Plinius 9200 and CD-101 (£3000 each) - that I still pine for in my system
emotion-9.gif

I don't dare spend too much time with the even-pricier stuff, or i'll be convincing myself to sell a kidney or something
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I have not had a chance to hear either of the 2 options mentioned by Clare, but have heard the Plinius SA-REF reference power amp, paired directly with a CD player which had a output control. Speakers were 802Ds. The sound was unbelievable. In your opinion, is the Plinius 9200 better sounding than the Pre / Power combo of the M8/P10?ÿ

I am in the process of buying a system. I have auditioned the Pathos Inpol2 with Wilson Benesch Curve. CD Player was Pathos Endorphin. The sound was great, but I felt that it lacked some of the bass punch I wanted. The music I listen to is Supertramp, U2, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Police, The Doors, David Bowie... classic rock, and some pop rock. I read the reviews in What Hi Fi ... ultimate systems issue, where these systems are reviewed. My questions...

ÿ1. Which of the 3 Pathos Amps better? Inpol2, Logos, or Classic One MKIII. The review in What Hi Fi does indicate that the bass in the Inpol2 could be better. Would youÿrecommendÿthe Plinius over the Pathos combos? I do like to sometimes crank up the volume.ÿ

2. The Wilson Benesch Curve speakers sounded excellent. Very musical, and very clear. Amongst the best treble, and midrange I have heard. Very musical. IÿauditionedÿSonus Faber Cremona M as well, but the Wilson Benesch sounded better. But it justÿdidn'tÿdo it for me. I felt that I wanted a bit more punchy bass. I had heard the Monitor Audio PL300 with a Chord system in another audition. The speakers sounded excellent. Would the MAs be more suited to my genres of music?

ÿIt is very difficult to audition these with the Pathos amps I am considering. Would you reccommend the Pathos, or the Plinius? And then which speakers to go with the different amps. Clare and Thaiman, your advise will be really really appreciated. My total budget for Amp / CD / Speakers / wires and interconnects is between GBP10 to 12K after the VAT I will get back on exporting the system out of the UK. I live in Dubai, and trying to audition these here will be impossible. I will try and arrange auditions for yourÿrecommendedÿcombinations when I next visit the UK, possibly in the next 2 months.ÿ

ÿ

BTW (Thaiman), I did hear the Krell 400Xi with the WB Curve speakers, and was not too impressed with the sound. Too clinical. Didnt sound 'musical'.ÿ

ÿ

Would love to hear peoples advice, expecially from someone who owns the Pathos amps.

ÿ

Thanks

ÿ

Aunÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts