Which piece of kit to plug Ethernet into

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've got the opportunity to either run one ethernet cable to my kit or up to four. I have an amp, tv, skybox and blu-ray that all have an ethernet port and everything will be linked into the amp with one hdmi cable into the tv. I don't know whether I should just run one ethernet cable in thru the amp or separate ones into each piece of kit. Will the one cable into the amp allow internet access for all the other kit or should i take the opportunity to run one into each?

Tonestar1

You will need to run a separate cable into each bit of kit. You could always buy a cheap switch, locate it next to your kit and run one ethernet to that. You then run a short ethernet from each device to the switch. This would also give you spare capacity for any new stuff you buy.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, you can't daisy chain ethernet devices. Get a switch. That said, what's the opportunity?

I have provided four ethernet ports (each with their own run of ethernet cable) into my kitchen diner a part of recent building works. In fact, I'm taking the opportunity to provide a full hard-wired network all over the house with a large rack (node zero) in the loft.

A

Anonymous

I can locate the router either with the equipment or upstairs and run a cable down to the kit.

No sure what you mean by internet sharing?

I'll have router and DLNA compliant server (NAS)

I'm interested in playing music from my pc upstairs on the downstairs tele and also potentially streaming films from online, lovefilm, etc.

Tonestar1

Andrew Everard:Some recent receivers allow suitable devices to share an Ethernet connection over HDMI, provided an HDMI cable with Ethernet capability is used.

I'm pretty certain the connected devices must also be able to do the same. ie how would the sky box know that a connection to the network was available via its HDMI port?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Hence my use of the term 'suitable devices'. But the Sky box is a poor example, as its HDMI connectivity is from a generation way earlier than the current one, with its Ethernet potential.

Tonestar1

Andrew Everard:Hence my use of the term 'suitable devices'. But the Sky box is a poor example, as its HDMI connectivity is from a generation way earlier than the current one, with its Ethernet potential.

I used the skybox as an example as it was the only piece of kit I could identify from the OP as I was trying to assist him/her with the query.

I wasn't aware of Ethernet sharing via HDMI, an interesting concept. Basically your receiver will be working as an Ethernet hub/switch. This will be great once the majority of devices become compliant. I love technology.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts