Which NAS??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Lee H said:
I have the Linkstation Live that I use with my Sonos. It's been fine for me. It sits behind the sofa and I only hear it if I'm running an anti-virus scan. It's maybe 3 years old now and is on all day every day with no problems.

Cheers Lee,

I like the look of the Linkstation and I think its easy enough to setup and obviously meets the criteria of a simple storage and streaming device....sounds like the Linkstation may be the way to go.

I have a linkstation live but it's now turned into a USB drive since buffalo wont be updating the firmware to make it compatable with Mac OS Lion.

Can anyone recommend a mac friendly NAS?

Thanks

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Hems said:
Jason36 said:
Lee H said:
I have the Linkstation Live that I use with my Sonos. It's been fine for me. It sits behind the sofa and I only hear it if I'm running an anti-virus scan. It's maybe 3 years old now and is on all day every day with no problems.

Cheers Lee,

I like the look of the Linkstation and I think its easy enough to setup and obviously meets the criteria of a simple storage and streaming device....sounds like the Linkstation may be the way to go.

I have a linkstation live but it's now turned into a USB drive since buffalo wont be updating the firmware to make it compatable with Mac OS Lion.

Can anyone recommend a mac friendly NAS?

Thanks

You may well have problems finding a suitable NAS for an Apple running Lion.

As is Apple's way they have replaced the open source version of Samba found in 10.6 with a new proprietary version in 10.7 "to better suit their customers".

Trouble is Apple's version is not fully featured or compatible - this means many Samba enabled boxes no longer work under 10.7

Great way to value their customers.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Lee H said:

Cheers Lee,

I run a Buffalo Linkstation Live for my Sonos system. It's OK considering the price the only downsides are, the fan is a bit noisy and the write speed is poor which can be frustrating when writing large amounts of data. On a positive note they are cheap and work flawlessly with the Sonos. Another bonus is you can add a JustStore to the USB port on the rear of the unit to add another terabyte of storage or scheduled backup etc

Paul.

AnotherJoe said:
Hems said:

You may well have problems finding a suitable NAS for an Apple running Lion.

As is Apple's way they have replaced the open source version of Samba found in 10.6 with a new proprietary version in 10.7 "to better suit their customers".

Trouble is Apple's version is not fully featured or compatible - this means many Samba enabled boxes no longer work under 10.7

Great way to value their customers.

Not ideal, but there are work arounds if you are comfortable with command line...

http://frankleng.me/2011/07/21/connect-to-a-freenas-samba-or-afp-share-on-lion-workaround/

EDIT: seems the SMB version is broke, only the NFS method works

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts