Which is better; Tannoy Revolution DC 6T or Monitor Audio RX 6?

A

Anonymous

As above really... Need to know what your amp and music source is and also what music you generally listen to?

Also; what's the room like where your system will be (i.e. carpeted with soft furnishings, wooden floors etc...)

Both speakers are very good but both have different traits

A

Anonymous

What speakers do you have currently and also what cabling do you use?

For me the NAD C355BEE was and still is a superb amp and IMO better than the PM6004 - The PM6004 is a very good amp indeed but it can be quite overly smooth at times wgereas the NAD is a lot more open and with better detail at the top end

Yes the NAD amp has bags of power and is quite bassy but with your room set-up, IMO, the M/A RX6's or even the QUAD 22L2's would be very well suited indeed

The Tannoy's, when I demo'd them with the NAD C355BEE, i found to be a little too open at the top-end and their midrange wasnt anywhere near as good as the M/A RX6's or QUAD's. However the B&W 684's could be worth demo'ing as well

peterpan said:
I have a NAD amp (C355) but i'm looking at Marantz (pm 6004). Find the NAD has too much bass. I have a wooden floor.

If you have wooden floors Nad should be (I'm using the words sparingly) fine as Nad has a warm presentation.

However, (can't comment on the new Marantz) if you're looking at taming proceedings then Arcam is a fabulous alternative. But, it does depend on the speakers.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Speakers now are KEF XQ. But find these too bright. Especially with my music; (metal) rock and pop and these are not good recordings. Cables are van den hul 102 and cs-122 speakercable.

Streaming is another thing. I find the NAD C446 not good enough (no Hi resolution). Maybe the new Pioneer.

A

Anonymous

Not a combo I'd go for personally; more so if you listen to rock etc...

I found the Pearl Lite an overly smooth amp with ok low end and a fairly detailed midrange but felt the top end lacked also. Would suit bright speakers but the thing is; the RX6's arent bright really (certainly not in comparison to their older siblings the RS6's)

Another amo to consider, IMO, would be the Rotel RA1520. Superb amp and suits the M/A RX6's very well indeed. A good mix between the NAD C356BEE and the Leema Pulse IMO

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
My music is almost rock......

I don't like Rotel. Find it harsh and bright. Can't listen to it.

Here in Holland on a forum there a people who find the NAD C355BEE also has a dull sound. But maybe it is the combination NAD C355BEE with C545BEE cdp not good?

peterpan said:

Here in Holland on a forum there a people who find the NAD C355BEE also has a dull sound. But maybe it is the combination NAD C355BEE with C545BEE cdp not good?

If you can't listen to Rotel then Nad and Arcam are the best choices with RX6s. Both these brands have no harshness (possible exception the Nad maybe a tad too bass heavy), and I would go with Focal speakers: Very balanced speaker that synergises well with both makes.

No idea about Tannoy I'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
peterpan said:

If you can't listen to Rotel then Nad and Arcam are the best choices with RX6s. Both these brands have no harshness (possible exception the Nad maybe a tad too bass heavy), and I would go with Focal speakers: Very balanced speaker that synergises well with both makes.

No idea about Tannoy I'm afraid.

The Rotel RA1520 is a different amp all together; it's a very detailed and punchy amp, a lot different to it's predecessors so would be worth a demo, even if to rule out!

The NAD C355BEE isnt a dull amp at all; I agree that partnering it with the C545BEE CDP would make for a very bassy system (that was the combo I initially had with my M/A RX6's). Sound was good but got too much after a while but a change to the Rega Apollo CDP made it all come together!

I listen to a lot of metal and electronica (as well as Jethro Tull, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin and other stuff in between). Music like System of a Down, Metallica, Offspring, Disturbed etc... all sounded fantastic with the RX6's - The amp has to be right though to manage the top end well. Audiolab, Cyrus & Yamaha would definitly be a no-go IMO with your room layout!

For me, the NAD C355BEE or C356BEE amp along with the Marantz 6004 CD and M/A RX6's would be a superb combo

T

the record spot

peterpan said:
Which speaker is the best? I don't like bright speakers for my music, (metal)rock and pop.

Depends what you partner them with or the kind of music you're playing to some extent. A lot of modern speakers emphasise higher end frequencies, some refer to this as brightness. If that's not your bag then probably take your time over which one you end up gong for, either instore with the geear you intend to partner it with, or at home if you can get a home demo.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
peterpan said:
Speakers now are KEF XQ. But find these too bright. Especially with my music; (metal) rock and pop and these are not good recordings. Cables are van den hul 102 and cs-122 speakercable.

Which XQ's do you have? I'm a little worried you'll be making a sideways or even downward change here if you're not careful. Depending which model XQ's you have, the brightness (and boomy bass) you're experiencing could be down to the NAD not controlling them properly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts