Which input to use on a stereo amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I own a Rega Mira stereo amp.

Now i want to use this Rega in my surround (Onkyo 875) setup, use it for the two front channels. When i play music(cd or record) i will only use the Mira and cdplayer or recordplayer.

On the back of the Mira are two inputs(two sets): "power amp in" and "pre amp out.

Which one will i use and do i have to use the volumeknob on the Mira, (say 12 o'clock ) when i watch a movie?

Hope some one can help!

Greetz.

A

Anonymous

power amp in - means im operating as a power amp, for an incoming signal.

pre amp out - means im operating as a pre amp, sorting sound out and sending signal out to be amplified by other kit.

You will use just an input like aux for this, the above connections are for adding other amps to the amp in question.

Your just providing sound from your surround sound amp (front left/front right=stereo), to another amp, just like stereo sound from a cd player or another source, just connect to the input of your choice.

the volume knob you will have to experiment with as not too familiar with the kit in question.

dave

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
hanno:

I own a Rega Mira stereo amp.

Now i want to use this Rega in my surround (Onkyo 875) setup, use it for the two front channels. When i play music(cd or record) i will only use the Mira and cdplayer or recordplayer.

On the back of the Mira are two inputs(two sets): "power amp in" and "pre amp out.

Which one will i use and do i have to use the volumeknob on the Mira, (say 12 o'clock ) when i watch a movie?

Hope some one can help!

Greetz.

I don't know about a Mira amp but I have the pre-outs from my Onkyo into Line 1 on my Caspian and would presume you would do the same (Aux or Line 1 Etc)

I have the volume on the Caspian set at 10 o'clock so you don't deafen yourself when you forget to turn it down when switching back to stereo.

idc

I had a Rega Mira. The various configurations are

Use the Mira as a pre amp to a power amp so you would connect the Mira with pre amp out. That also means your signal from the CDP or turntable is coming to the Mira first, it controls the volume and then on to the power amp which is what the speakers are connected to.

Use the Mira as a power amp so you would connect a pre amp to it with the power amp in. The Mira (and its 40 watts if I remember correctly) is now taking the signal from the CDP etc from the pre amp so it no longer controls the volume and it will only have the speakers connected to it.

This will work if the Onkyo can operate as a pre or power amp. Can it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts