Which Home Cinema speaker package

Ksutty

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I’m in the process of decorating my living room at the moment and to finish it off Id like to renew all my audio visual kit. I’m looking to spend £1000 on a new TV and was considering the Panasonic PX70B or maybe Pioneer PDP427XD. Id love to get a 1080P LCD but the whole idea of motion blur whilst watching sport puts me off and the plasma versions are just too pricey at the moment. For the speakers I was looking at the KEF KHT3005 series, the B&W mt-30 or the Monitor Aud Radius R90AV-12. I need speakers that are small and stylish ( my wife hates bulky speakers ).To drive the speakers I was thinking of the Sony STR DA5200ESI need some guidance and quick .... my wife says she can solve all my problems with a quick trip to Asda. The thought of an Alba home cinema system in a box is an extra worry I just don’t need!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I'd go for the Sony STR-DA5200ES and the D&W speakers, which I'm sure will work together very well without taking over the room. You could save some money and look at the Onkyo TX-SR605 if you're under financial pressure - it has more than enough oomph to drive the B&Ws well.

BTW, don't let your interior design consultant see the new Sony Bravia Theatre SAV-IS10 system we covered here: if she sees those dinky speakers all will be lost.

Mind you, on the brief listen I had the other day it does sound really rather special...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's also worth noting that KEF has just upgraded its 'eggs' - the KHT3005SE package is sitting in our testing rooms right now, ready to be reviewed in our October issue, out August 23rd.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
And all of the above, including that incredibly dinky Sony Bravia Theatre system Andrew mentioned, will be featured in the Ultimate Guide to Home Cinema - coming soon!

Ksutty

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Upgraded ? in what way? the sub ???

I had a demo of the kht3005 but found them no match for the B&W mt30, the big difference being the sub.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Both the sub and the satellites have been upgraded.

We certainly agree with your assessment of the original KHT3005 vs the MT30 - hence the former getting four stars and the latter getting an Award in its price class. And yes, the major difference was B&W's PV1 subwoofer, an Award-winner in its own right. But then the B&W package costs half as much again as the KEFs (£1575 compared to £1000), so it should sound a lot better....

Time and a lot of testing will tell how the new KEFs get on against a range of competition.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts