Which goes on top?

helpmemrdavies

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Let me just take a moment to express my total awe and wonder at my NAD system - the 545 and 326 are amazing and have given me hours of listening pleasure so far. Thanks for all those who helped to recommend them to me back in December. I just have one small question.

In January's What Hi-Fi, the NAD system is shown with the CD Player stacked on top of the Amplifier and so that's the way I've set mine up. However, I've just noticed that in the instructions it says it's okay to stack the amp on top of things but not the other way around. What's the dealio here? Amp on top? Or CDP?

Will it really make a difference?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you have to stack them - which I wouldn't recommend, but which we sometimes do to give a more convenient picture shape - then I'd put the amp on top of the player.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:If you have to stack them - which I wouldn't recommend, but which we sometimes do to give a more convenient picture shape - then I'd put the amp on top of the player.
Andrew i,ve got my pre on top of my amp, should i change that the other way around

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As I said, ideally they should be side by side or even better on separate shelves, but yes, power amp on top of preamp. The way you have it now risks overheating both, and may well shorten their operating lives as a result of excess heat.

johnnyjazz:Andrew Everard:If you have to stack them - which I wouldn't recommend, but which we sometimes do to give a more convenient picture shape - then I'd put the amp on top of the player.
Andrew i,ve got my pre on top of my amp, should i change that the other way around

The simple answer is see which component has the most ventilation slits. This indicates that a machine needs circulation. Also check both amps at random times for excessive heat. Otherwise my answer is as above.

Andrew Everard:As I said, ideally they should be side by side or even better on separate shelves, but yes, power amp on top of preamp. The way you have it now risks overheating both, and may well shorten their operating lives as a result of excess heat.

Sorry, Andrew - we obviously were typing about the same time and you beat me to the post button.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts