Which Glue for Repairing Album Covers?

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I have several album covers where the original glue seal to the seams have failed. Apart from avoiding the very smelly petroleum or spirit based glues for fear of it affecting the vinyl (and making me high/ill), does anyone have any adhesive recommendations and/or warnings?

Thanks

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
pritt-stick-paper-glue--361-p.jpg

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, you've confirmed what I was thinking. Although I also thought about Prittstick (other adhesives are available) I was not sure whether it would be good enough to provide a long term solution with the glossy finishes used on some covers.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi Joe,

I have found that placing the sleeve open, as it were, on a flat surface and running a 1mm bead of evostik down each seam. Fold the album cover flat, seam to seam, and open immediately again leaving a flattened line of glue on each seam. Wait 6 or so mins then press together again. This has worked for me every time and has never damaged a record or become undone.

All the best,

Andrew.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Come on guys, it's only gluing two bits of card together! Let's not over think it. I've used anything that's closest to hand. Sometimes it's been superglue, sometimes it's been 'No Nails' and sometimes it's been bogeys*

*Possibly a lie.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
Come on guys, it's only gluing two bits of card together! Let's not over think it. I've used anything that's closest to hand. Sometimes it's been superglue, sometimes it's been 'No Nails' and sometimes it's been bogeys*

*Possibly a lie.

I know school was a long time ago for a lot of us but I remember sticking two bits of card together back then with Pritt Stick, so I agree with Bretty that you can over complicate things................don't know about snot though :O

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Well, so far PVA white glue is working ok for me; although it's way too soon to comment on its long term viability.

I suppose using chewing gum may also be a good alternative if the bogies don't work
smiley-laughing.gif

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I have used the aforementioned retractable glue stick and found it to be fine.

I try and use as little as possible and temporarily hold the sleeve together with a couple of clothes pegs while it dries (an hour or two.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts