Question Which DAC should I get for Hi-Res music?

Holden Caulfield

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a DAC for home audio for listening to Hi-Res from Amazon Music? I'm looking at the Dacmagic 200m or the JDS Labs Element 3. I currently use the Music Fidelity V-Dac and it' outdated. Thanks for any suggestions.

Holden Caulfield

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
what's the source, what are you connecting it to and what's your budget??
Too many unknowns I am afraid.
Source: Amazon Music App from 14" 2021 Macbook Pro
Connecting to V-DAC connected to Little Dot MKII Preamp to QSC rmx1450 2 channel amp
Speakers: JBL E90 (definitely replacing)
I'm open to getting a DAC that could replace the Little Dot, such as the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 200M or getting a different preamp or sticking with the Little Dot.
Budget: $500 although I'd go to $750 if it was worth it. I'm looking at the ifi Zen One Signature, they seem to be the only company who reference Hi-Res audio on their website.
Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
Dont be too misled by the mention of hiRes, just about any DAC around will handle it and Apple Music quality.
If you need MQA decoding for Tidal then that is a different matter .
The iFi is great for the money.
You said the iFi is great for the money. Is there a better one for a little more money? I'm going to get new speakers so I'm willing to spend a little more on my system. Thanks.

robdmarsh

ifi Zen One sig fanboy here!
You're not into Tidal, too expensive and don't need MQA: snap.
You use Amazon HD: snap.
Now, here's the new bit which some would disagree with: If you've got an amp and speakers you're happy with, I don't think you need a streamer. Bluetooth with this thing is that good. But if you must have a streamer, you can add one at a later date as the One sig has plenty of inputs.
Job done.

Holden Caulfield

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
ifi Zen One sig fanboy here!
You're not into Tidal, too expensive and don't need MQA: snap.
You use Amazon HD: snap.
Now, here's the new bit which some would disagree with: If you've got an amp and speakers you're happy with, I don't think you need a streamer. Bluetooth with this thing is that good. But if you must have a streamer, you can add one at a later date as the One sig has plenty of inputs.
Job done.
I like the iFi products, I have the iFi Hip Dac 2 and it's great. So I'm thinking why not get another iFi for the stereo? The Zen One Signature is at the top of my list.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I highly recommend the Cord line of DAC's. I myself have a Cord Mojo (I don't own the Cord Mojo 2) and could not be happier with it. at. If you are looking for a real good bargain then get that DAC as you can now probably get it for under 400 quid (I payed 450 quid for mine brand new a few years ago) as the Cord Mojo 2 is out. Cord DAC's have a big fan base and when you own one your see why they are so loved by meany.

I highly recommend the Cord line of DAC's. I myself have a Cord Mojo (I don't own the Cord Mojo 2) and could not be happier with it. at. If you are looking for a real good bargain then get that DAC as you can now probably get it for under 400 quid (I payed 450 quid for mine brand new a few years ago) as the Cord Mojo 2 is out. Cord DAC's have a big fan base and when you own one your see why they are so loved by meany.
That's Chord!
And overrated by many.

Woodylen

Jan 9, 2023
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a DAC for home audio for listening to Hi-Res from Amazon Music? I'm looking at the Dacmagic 200m or the JDS Labs Element 3. I currently use the Music Fidelity V-Dac and it' outdated. Thanks for any suggestions.

Go to audioscience and have a look at their table. I have a Topping Dx5, a Topping Dx3 pro and Motu M2 and various S. M. S. L dac / headphone amps. The Topping Dx5 for me gives me the best price/ performance. Has a great headphone amp on it to. I have run it with my Elac DBR 62 ref's / Kef R700's / Kali in-5's / Adam Audio A5x's and it sounds fantastic...like it doesn't exist D/A conversion is as flawless as I need it. You can spend hundreds more and you won't hear an audible difference.

Are you saying you're one of these "all DACs sound the same" guys? The first part of your post seems to say you're not of these guys but then you finish up with a comment that makes you sound like one.
I can't for the life of me see where he is implying that, he does state you could spend much more on a dac for no discernible improvement and that's his, quite valid, opinion.
Please do not attack newbies in this manner.

Woodylen

Jan 9, 2023
Visit site
Are you saying you're one of these "all DACs sound the same" guys? The first part of your post seems to say you're not of these guys but then you finish up with a comment that makes you sound like one.
More from the camp that looks to science as proof that once you get to a certain level of component and engineering used in a DAC, that you are not going to hear any audible difference, unless it has been built badly. Most of the chips and circuits made in the last few years are unbelievable at converting digital to analogue without affecting the source and even a swathe of reasonably priced speakers these days are kicking expensive ass in the colouration / Soundstage etc department straight out of the box. Not sure why people throw so much of their hard earned cash away on Chord products. Each to their own.

Reactions: SteveR750

SteveR750

Big plus for the JDS gear. I use an Element 2 for my PC headphone system with a set of audeze LCD-X and works really well. The amp is a beast. You could just get the Atom DAC if that's the only bit you need.
Topping, smsl worth checking out. You don't need to spend a huge amount. I used a dacmagic in a 10k system because nothing more expensive made any worthwhile difference.

Last edited:

robdmarsh

I can't for the life of me see where he is implying that, he does state you could spend much more on a dac for no discernible improvement and that's his, quite valid, opinion.
Please do not attack newbies in this manner.
Of course he's entitled to his opinion but saying you could spend much on DAC with no discernible improvement is a pretty categorical statement and I would be a bit reticent of making such a statement if I hadn't heard much more expensive DACs.

In my case I've heard 3 besides the DAC in my amp and they all sounded very different with the ifi Zen One signature being by far the most pleasing.

Holden Caulfield

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
Excellent. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

What are you doing about the amplifier situation? Are you keeping things as they are?
So I ended up getting the Geshelli J2 DAC. The drums sound amazing. I also got an Emotiva Basx A2 and my speakers pound and sound clear. This DAC and this class AB amp is a great combination, I highly recommend it. I got a cheap Fosi Audio Tube P-1 Preamp to add some tubes to the mix. I upgraded the tubes and it sounds great. I'm not sold on the tubes and at some point I think I'll get a real preamp. Next is new speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts