Which DAC for a deep soundstage & decent bass?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently trying to decide which DAC would be a good fit for my system

Currently music is from iTunes via my ATV2 into a basic CYP DAC connected to my MF XA-2 amp via Chord CrimsonPlus interconnects and then into B&W 684's... I have recently bought a Cyrus 8vs2 amp also so that will be demo'd side by side with the MF amp

Its sounds ok now but I feel the bass is lacking a bit at times and isn't as deep as I'd like

My budget would ideally be £300 and less (happy to go 2nd hand also) and was considering the MF VDAC Mk II and the Arcam rDAC. are there any others I need to look at?m

A

Anonymous

Is anyone able to offer any advice on this?

Has anyone heard the Arcam rDAC against the Rega DAC; any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

The Rega Dac is miles ahead of the Arcam rDac. You'll have to get an external linear PSU for the Arcam rDac before it even becomes a fair comparison. I wouldn't get the Arcam rDac because of the switch mode PSU. That'll inject a bunch of noise and kill the sound of the rest of your system.

Rega Dac -> Brio-R. Heaven!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I strongly reccomend you to try before buying anything, do not given for granted a DAC will improve drastically basses and soundstage...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
acalex said:
I strongly reccomend you to try before buying anything, do not given for granted a DAC will improve drastically basses and soundstage...

Out of interest, what alternatives are there to the rDAC that deliver deeper bass and a greater soundstage, for less than £300?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
acalex said:

Out of interest, what alternatives are there to the rDAC that deliver deeper bass and a greater soundstage, for less than £300?

Don't think there is any at that price range. I actually have an rDAC but I am not sure a DAC con deliver a deepER bass...

I mean don't think a DAC can do miracles if amplification/speakers are not up to the job.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
acalex said:
6th.replicant said:
acalex said:

Don't think there is any at that price range...

;)

I actually have an rDAC but I am not sure a DAC con deliver a deepER bass...

FWIW, I sampled a Beresford, a DacMagic and an rDAC - IMHO, of the three, the rDAC has deeper bass.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
FWIW, I sampled a Beresford, a DacMagic and an rDAC - IMHO, of the three, the rDAC has deeper bass.

Good to know, I actually didn't find any difference between the rDAC and the SB Touch that's why I am getting rid of it. It could be also a cheaper alternative...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

Its not an aim to make the bass deeper but to keep it realistic and punchy when it should be.

Ive had the MF VDAC Mk II on loan this week and it's been great with some music but when it came to house music or some rock it seemed to make the sound overly smooth and soft.

The Arcam rDAC aapears to offer a lot for its price tag; I feel that the Rega DAC may be a bit too much for what I need etc...

Currently using a basic CYP DAC I bought from amazon a few weeks ago between my ATV2 and Cyrus 8vs2 and the music sounds superb; in my opinion better than the MF DAC as its more even right across the board.

I think a home demo of the Arcam DAC is in order and then I can go from there...

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:

Its sounds ok now but I feel the bass is lacking a bit at times and isn't as deep as I'd like

Don't go expecting a DAC to vastly improve any aspect of your sound presentation. Try the swap between ATV and CYP DAC first to see what differences exist, if any. Then if you are convinced that spending more on a DAC is the way forward, try before you buy.

rDAC, DACmagic and Caiman would be the obvious choices, but also consider something like the Roland UA-25EX, or M-Audio Fastrack Pro for example.

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
Nad_fanatic said:

Don't go expecting a DAC to vastly improve any aspect of your sound presentation. Try the swap between ATV and CYP DAC first to see what differences exist, if any. Then if you are convinced that spending more on a DAC is the way forward, try before you buy.

rDAC, DACmagic and Caiman would be the obvious choices, but also consider something like the Roland UA-25EX, or M-Audio Fastrack Pro for example.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I've no other way of connecting the ATV2 to my amp so the CYP DAC is needed anyway.

A

Anonymous

Hi, if you can stretch to it try to have a listen to the Rega DAC as well as the others. I can't compare with rDac as didn't end up hearing that but I am very happy with the Rega DAC.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, i would think about a musical fidelity m1 a, your xa2 has a smooth sound, the mf m1 would suit your xa2 rather well imo, the m1 is quite lively for mf, detail is superb, bass is fast and tight, i think it would be a good balence.

A

Anonymous

For less than £300 you should look at Audio-gd NFB 3.1, it's made by a small chinese company, very much loved by the head-fi community for it's fantastic price to performance ratio and use of high quality components. It's a lot of DAC for the money.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that.

Ive never heard of them and the fact that I can't demo one as they're not readily available in the uk puts me off straight away.

Better the devil you know etc...

Re Jimm's post; my MF amp has already gone off to pastures new. Had it since Monday and it was boxed up on Wednesday when my Cyrus 8vs2 amp landed. Soundstages were chalk & cheese. MF very nice but too smooth and soft in the bass; the Cyrus however is a lot better, much more punchier and detailed in every sense

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts