Which CD player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to purchase the Onkyo 875 receiver with Mordaunt-Short Alulmi 5.1 speakers to run a home cinema system. I want a good sounding CD player to put with it and 2 floorstanding speakers. Anyone have any suggestions, or think I could get better systems for the cost of receiver and surround speakers? And while on the subject looking at Epson TW200 projector or Infocus 82, any thoughts?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Your Onkyo will play cd's comfortably. What's your budget? I use a Rega Apollo CD Player and would recommend it without any reservations.

A

Anonymous

Not too sure of the budget, would we willing to pay for a CD player that was worth the money. Seen good reviews of marantz CD6002 but would pay more if necessary. Looking at B&W 684,685?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
If you are gonna use 684s or 685s as the front speakers in your surround package as well then you wont need a full Alumni package but you'll need the B&W HTM 62 centre to balance with some rears and a sub. This is more of a question for Home Cinema.

Is a Rega Apollo too good for a 875 ?

A

Anonymous

I think the Apollo is too good imo I would personally get a Beresford DAC for c.£100 and use your DVD as a transport

A

Anonymous

Hubby wants home cinema and I want hifi, we were trying to combine the 2 for cost sake but should we just get completely different systems? I am coming to this conclusion as I like the Rega Apollo, or is there an amp/receiver (needs to be full HD) which works well with this and the projector/surround sound?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
sdux:

I am looking to purchase the Onkyo 875 receiver with Mordaunt-Short Alulmi 5.1 speakers to run a home cinema system. I want a good sounding CD player to put with it and 2 floorstanding speakers. Anyone have any suggestions, or think I could get better systems for the cost of receiver and surround speakers? And while on the subject looking at Epson TW200 projector or Infocus 82, any thoughts

First of all, go with the Infocus over the Epson - much better projector.

Secondly, the Alumni speakers are nowhere near good enough to do the Onkyo justice with movies, let alone a player of the Apollo's abilities with music.

You'd be better off with a cheaper CD player - like the Marantz CD6002 - or a DAC, as suggested, and spending more on the speakers for improved all-round performance.

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

Hubby is now looking at KEF KHT3005 and I want B&W 684 to add to hifi. Is the Onkyo 905 worth the extra money? Would it just be better to buy 2 amps?

A

Anonymous

Get a HT amp with pre-outs. You can then use a stereo amp for the fronts when listening to music

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The B&Ws would certainly be a better bet than the KEFs as all-rounders.

The Onkyo 905's main advantages over the 875 are extra power, and two HDMI outputs (handy if you plan to use your projector in tandem with a flatscreen). Musically it's no great improvement, so for your set-up you may prefer the 875 plus a stereo amp for music duties (if you go for the Marantz CD6002, its matching PM6002 is equally excellent, and would be great match for the B&Ws...)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts