Which bookself speaker for metal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
A dealer told me today that nowadays speakers wil be more and more neutral and more open. This means rock and metal with theur bad recordings sounds very bad on these speakers. Het told me avoid metal tweeters and look at speakers with a soft dome. But which speakers with a soft dome are suitable for rock and metal?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
A dealer told me today that nowadays speakers wil be more and more neutral and more open. This means rock and metal with theur bad recordings sounds very bad on these speakers. Het told me avoid metal tweeters and look at speakers with a soft dome. But which speakers with a soft dome are suitable for rock and metal?

Personally, I think that is an exaggeration/generalization...and it also doesn't take into account the effect that an amp can have on the sound.

Did you listen to anything at this dealer and what brands did he stock?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Only you can decide that for yourself but i think youll find that dynaudio dm 2/7 or 2/6 can play anything well. I personally dont think you need to buy a speaker for a certain type or style but more important to get a speaker that suits the amp so that the sound has a good tonal balance. Btw i listen to metel. Heavy rock, country and jazz and in my kefs it all sounds good. Just go and audition and enjoy- dont think too much about what goes or who said that/this. Only you will know. Imagine metel tweeters sound good to you and you brought a soft dome tweeter speaker because of what the guy said in the shop, only for you to start another forum 'why does my system sound rubbish' hope that helps because i used to listen to reviews also but now ill listen for myself

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What is your amp?

At the start of your thread you said that you wanted something with a smoother treble and warmer sound for Rock. If this is the case, you should be looking at (and listening to) speakers such as:

Kef R Series

Spendor

Sonus Faber

Dynaudio

Harbeth

Opera

IME. Focal are not smooth and warm. They are fast, revealing and neutral....though the Aria is slightly less forward than other models. They work well with warmer sounding Amps/Valves.

FWIW. Don't rule any speaker "out" just because of some comment you read on the internet......how well a speaker sounds depends on: how well it's set up; the room it's in; the amp that's driving it; the quality of the source; the suitability of the Stands (if applicable); the taste of the person describing it etc. This means that getting a true picture is difficult and why you have to try for yourself.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I've heard the Kef R500 with a Exposure 3010S2 amp. For me not warm enough. Female voices too bright. By another dealer i've heard the Kef R300 with a Arcam a19 amp. Seems better. Warmer and voices are darker, not so bright. But also a slow bass and a unexiting sound with very laid back voices. I also think that for me bookshelf are better; that in my room, not so small, floorstander never sound well. Maybe a little floorstander like the B&W CM8S2, but the highes? I don't like the sound of the 683S2.

Also Focal aria, Dynaudio DM or Kef R300 who don't have a bright sound, but too unexiting but perhaps with another amp right for me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You might like the Kef LS50, which are cleaner, tighter and more exciting than the R Series, but IME not harsh or bright.

You seem to want the smoothness, without losing the excitement....which is often the right match between Speakers and Amp. The source plays an important part as well.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Indeed; smoothness with exitement.

My source are Pioneer N50A streamer from a NAS server (Flac). Amp are Arcam A19, but with new speakers i will also go for a better amp. I've heard the Kef ls50, but found ther sound "too light". and i miss a warm full bodied sound.

For 2 years i heard the MA RX 6. I like the fast exiting sound but the highs hurt my ears.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IME. At the more budget end of the market, you generally have to make compromises. It's possible you might get what you want from the right Valve Amp, like Puresound....which can give excitement with smoothness. Maybe worth a try.

You also might consider Hybrid Amps, like Pathos, Croft and Unison Research Unico or SS amps like Electrcompaniet, Abrahamson, Arcam (A39) and Audio Analogue.

A warmer amp, with a clean sounding speaker (like ATC, Tannoy, Focal, PMC, Proac), could also give you what you are looking for.....but requires a bigger budget.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Valva amps for my music mostly have too weak bass. And indeed, expensive. Then hybrid; but they don't always have smooth highs. Unison unico, long ago i heard their first unico hybrid. And found the highs not smooth, but bright. The dealer also and with me more people. But beautiful voices! Pathos is much better, but expensive.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I suspect you have 4 options:

- Up your budget

- Go ex-dem/used (from a dealer)

- Compromise with what you are looking for

- Get something like some LS50s + Sub (eg. something from BK)

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
A dealer told me that in my room a floorstander is possible. I don't sure. If so; i will go for a floorstander. Nicer to see. I have a room in L-form (45m2), but listen to music in the small. Speaker can 50 cm from the wall. Listeningdistance 2,5- 3 m.

This week i will listen to

Monitor audio silver 6 and 8

B&W Cm8S2

Focal Aria 926.

Kef R500 too bright and unforgiven for my music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts