Which Blu-Ray Player for Music

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iMark

Our Sony BDP-S590 is OK with CDs but pretty good with with SACDs and Bluray Audio.

Our CDs sound much better as ripped ALAC files played through the Airport Express and our DAC. But as an almost universal player (it doesn't play DVD-Audio discs) it's good value for money.

Stuartk

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
jerryapril@msn.com said:
I've had a Denon DBT 3313UD for about two years now and it's the best /CD/ player I've had.

It is not surely slower than I am. It is however amazingly sleak and library quiet - something the OPPO was not when I demoed one.

Good discounts on them as well...

Denon were as far as I know always regarded as being solid with excellent sound mine yesterday was anything but and not just because it didn't work as the first thing I noticed was how light it was it felt like it was nothing when the drawer opened it sort of coughed several times....I thought the poor thing is not well and I was right......As it died.

Richard, 7760, Bigboss,

So I thought I would try what was suggested in the " what about the Pioneer", well I did connected to the Rotel power and integrated amps with the MA RX6 speakers via Coaxal and tone control bypassed and WOW I never thought that would be possible such clarity Bass tones distinct and the vocals way out there with brilliant pitch.

Im also pleased to say that it loads up in only a few seconds but I have never really looked out for that before.

Its true that I would probably have to pay a fortune to get much better than this, I mean just before I tried the Pioneer I used my redundant but working Arcam Alpha 5 CD Player connected via RCA and the Pioneer is way better.

Im so surprised so for those who said Blu-Ray players are just as good as CD Players in music I bow to your superiority.

Now I'm assuming that an Oppo would be even better as it does everything + but unless someone is selling one ( I did email a Gumtree ad but no reply, it was an Oppo 83 at £225) then I will need to stick to my lovely Pioneer, bless him.

Stuartk

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I haven't ripped in a ALAC file as I have not got a clue to what it is apart from I suppose it is a higher bit rate but would love to be able to do it.

Change days to when you thought you were the dogs doo da's when I was ripping my selected tracks onto a blank CD and apart from the usual iTunes and Spotify that about all I do.

I love anything that has clarity such as SACD and I have quite a few of them as well as DVD-Audio but I sold most of my 5.1 gear as I wasn't getting the sound I really wanted and as pointed out earlier by someone it's the overall cost because it spirals out of control especially when it comes to DTS HD 96/24 etc with all the equipment needed I just had to make a decision of going back to a half decent Stereo set up.

Oh dear I can fairly gibber on!!

Appologies.

Stuartk said:
Now I'm assuming that an Oppo would be even better as it does everything + but unless someone is selling one ( I did email a Gumtree ad but no reply, it was an Oppo 83 at £225) then I will need to stick to my lovely Pioneer, bless him.

Stick to your Pioneer. As good as the Oppo is, if you're not looking for the extra features that it offers, then the Pioneer will be just as good.

Stuartk

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Stuartk said:

Stick to your Pioneer. As good as the Oppo is, if you're not looking for the extra features that it offers, then the Pioneer will be just as good.

Thanks Bigboss,

Yes I do agree with that my Pioneer does do very well and I'm still a bit surprised at the quality of sound and for the extra cost of any of the Oppo's I would not get the financial difference from better sound.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Stuartk said:
Yes I do agree with that my Pioneer does do very well and I'm still a bit surprised at the quality of sound and for the extra cost of any of the Oppos I would not get the financial difference from better sound.

Good to see you're pleased with this effective solution!

However, you continue to mix together analog and digital conversion points. In other words, it's less the Pioneer BDP you're pleased with, rather it's the digital-to-analogue conversion done by the Rotel amp. Whichever player, CD or BD, you would attach digitally to it, the sound is going to be very similar. Now, if you were to connect the various players to your amp the analogue way, THEN you would likely notice significant differences between your current BDP, dedicated CDPs and top-class BDPs such as the aforementioned Oppo 105.

However, as I said before, benefit-versus-outlay-ratio will be low compared to the current solution, in fact you might very well have to change amps instead or also in order to noticeably improve performance! So since you stated being quite pleased with the results, I recommend you just leave it as it is and don't worry further about making any changes. :)

Stuartk

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
7760 said:
Stuartk said:
Yes I do agree with that my Pioneer does do very well and I'm still a bit surprised at the quality of sound and for the extra cost of any of the Oppos I would not get the financial difference from better sound.

Good to see you're pleased with this effective solution!

However, you continue to mix together analog and digital conversion points. In other words, it's less the Pioneer BDP you're pleased with, rather it's the digital-to-analogue conversion done by the Rotel amp. Whichever player, CD or BD, you would attach digitally to it, the sound is going to be very similar. Now, if you were to connect the various players to your amp the analogue way, THEN you would likely notice significant differences between your current BDP, dedicated CDPs and top-class BDPs such as the aforementioned Oppo 105.

However, as I said before, benefit-versus-outlay-ratio will be low compared to the current solution, in fact you might very well have to change amps instead or also in order to noticeably improve performance! So since you stated being quite pleased with the results, I recommend you just leave it as it is and don't worry further about making any changes. :)

Cheers 7760,

Now I take it that you are saying that analogue via n Oppo 105 would produce a better sound overall than the Digital from my BDP but again would it justified improvement at over £1k.

I previously only used Digital connections for the surround sound on movies, DVD-A so I have pretty much never used them for Stereo but I was disappointed with my Arcam via Analogue and I think connecting to Digital saved my frustration temporary.

I think in the near future I will look at the Oppo 105 to benefit from have a can do everything player.

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for Oppo as well to replace my CDP & BDP, main concern is they might going to put out new player this year as the 105 been around quite long.

Don't care if they're going to release a new 4K player as I don't have 4K TV, my main concern is they might upgrade the dedicated stereo part as well. If they put out new 4K player without any upgrade on the stereo side, I can get the 105D with discounted price I guess. Therefore, I prefer to wait & see.

dsuciato said:
I'm looking for Oppo as well to replace my CDP & BDP, main concern is they might going to put out new player this year as the 105 been around quite long.

Don't care if they're going to release a new 4K player as I don't have 4K TV, my main concern is they might upgrade the dedicated stereo part as well. If they put out new 4K player without any upgrade on the stereo side, I can get the 105D with discounted price I guess. Therefore, I prefer to wait & see.

A good plan. I don't see how they can upgrade the current stereo as its already using the top notch DAC, nothing changed on that front when they bought out the Darbee version of the 105 so would expect any on the 4K version whenever it arrives.

Stuartk

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Waiting for the new Oppo is a good plan but it will only be more expensive that what it is at present although as suggested the existing model may be discounted so yes I will probably keep using the Pioneer but keep my eye out for a second hand Oppo or as time goes by see what level of discount is available on the current 105D when the 4K is out.

Stuartk said:
Waiting for the new Oppo is a good plan but it will only be more expensive that what it is at present although as suggested the existing model may be discounted so yes I will probably keep using the Pioneer but keep my eye out for a second hand Oppo or as time goes by see what level of discount is available on the current 105D when the 4K is out.

My advice to you, if music is your main concern and you are not going to fully utilise the video functions (Darbee) of the 105D, is to seek out a discontinued 105EU and save more money.

Example:- ex demo 105eu = £899, new 105eu £999, new 105D £1099

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts