Which av receiver?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Which of these amp's is best?

yamaha rx-v2700 (£490 ex demo) or yamaha dsp-ax763 (£400 new)

I have been reading up about them both and the rx is the better amp but an old model, and does not have dolby digital or true hd were as the dsp does?

A

Anonymous

Hi mondo, How old is the 2700?

I don't think I'd pay more for an old used model without features that are considered essential on a receiver today.

Tbh unless you have to buy one of these two for some reason I'd widen my options, look and then listen to some other options.

I'm not saying the 763 isn't a very good receiver but if you are thinking well the 763 has the features but the 2700 was, when new, a much more expensive unit so the sound quality should be better then I wait say don't buy either and wait.

The reason being, if you like the Yamaha sound and if you can afford to go upto the £500 mark for the old ex-demo then in a month's time there will be the new 765 out.

This new receiver is pitched between the old 763 and 863 models, it has all the current features and burr brown DACs and other higher end components in common with more expensive units, so it may be a far better option for you than both and dealers are taking pre-orders now for £549 if you could stretch that far. It may become cheaper if Yamaha can do a better job supplying the numbers needed this year.

Hope that's of some use.

daveh75

Well out of the two i'd go for the rx-v2700. It maybe an older model but it's further up the food chain.

The fact it doesnt decode the new HD codecs doesnt actually matter,looking at the manual it will accept LPCM audio signals via it's HDMI inputs(page 23 of the manual HERE). So as long as your BDP can decode all the HD formats on-board you will be getting HD audio.

A

Anonymous

Hi lee & daveh75 thanks for the reply

Not sure how old it is, its from a local shop and they say its in mint condition.

I'm setting a new system from scratch, in a new room, in an extension i'm having built. I'm not specifically limiting myself to yamaha, but more the features that it has. I am wanting to be able to listen to music from the PC so i will need the DAC's. The 2700 is also networkable. I need an extra zone as i am wanting to have outdoor speakers too. The only other amp that i can see which does this is in the sub £500 range is the Onkyo's (don't think this has DAC's?).

The amp will be running a tannoy arena speaker package.

A

Anonymous

I have the Yamaha RX-V2600 (no network function) and it's a fantastic amp, i'm sending multi-channel pcm via my Pioneer bd 51-fd and it works a treat.. i'd go for the 2700 but try and get em' down a little bit more on the price.

A

Anonymous

I have just bought the Onkyo 876 for £649 brand new with 3 year warranty, still a few left if that takes your fancy.

A

Anonymous

I too am after an av receiver.

I want one which is happy to handle music and films with equal endeavor. My budget is limited to around £400 and have shortlisted yamaha 783/Onkyo 606/Denon 1909 although alot depends on price and ofcourse availability as these are outgoing models. Do I try secure a deal on an outgoing model or do I look at the new releases at a higher premium. Should I be looking at offerings from Pioneer/Sony also?

I have a Onkyo 406 dvd player which upscales to 1080p and am running Mission M33i fronts and a Mission M3C2i centre.

Any advice would be warmly received

Sorry new to all this
emotion-2.gif

P.S Anyone tell me how to add template of desciption of my own system in bottom part when writing posts?????

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Chris247:
P.S Anyone tell me how to add template of desciption of my own system in bottom part when writing posts?????

Put it in your signature on your account options page, and then it appears every time you post.

A

Anonymous

Were did you buy the onkyo 876 from? thats a good price!!!

I'm confused now!! went into richer sounds and they recommened the onkyo 606 rather than both the yam's???

any advice?

A

Anonymous

mondo68:
Were did you buy the onkyo 876 from? thats a good price!!!

I'm confused now!! went into richer sounds and they recommened the onkyo 606 rather than both the yam's???

any advice?

Sorry Mondo I haven't checked the board for a few days.

Ok well I have bought many things from Richer Sounds and I like them but sometimes I take them with a pinch of salt, they haven't had the Yam's in stock for some time and were trying to sell me an Onkyo 607 for upto £500 when I could get an 876 elsewhere for just £649, they only had an ex-demo and wanted the same money for it.

I got the 876 from Newcastle Hifi which is also Peter Tyson, you'll find both online with a google search and you can phone them they are a real shop. They had 9 left before I bought mine last week, it is only the silver 876 that is at £649, the black one is £749 but I can't see why people are fussy about the colour tbh, I personally think that it looks great in silver (well polished alloy look) anyway.

Free delivery, Onkyo 3 year warranty and I ordered it 4-30pm Saturday and it arrived Tuesday morning
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts