Which AV Receiver to go with a Dali Phantom (In-Wall) set of speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
We're rebuilding an oast house at the moment and one of the fantastic features of the main sitting room is a mezzanine floor taking about 1/3 of the floor space. The room's 20ft square and has a 17ft ceiling height. Not bad hey! (Oh forgot to say, the speakers will be in line with ear height when seated in the Mezzanine. So they'll be about 4/5 feet down from the ceiling! Sub will be on the Mezz floor).

So we're putting in some in-wall speakers and need a bit of help choosing an amp!

Front Pair - Dali Helicon Phantom
Centre - Dali Phantom Vokal
Rear Sides - Dali Ikon Phantom
Rear Rears - Dali Ikon On-Wall
Sub - Dali 1.5S

The idea was to hook up an Onkyo 905. Part of the reason for using the Helicon front pair is that music in stereo will be better than with the Ikons. I own a Dali Ikon 5.1 set up in my own flat and love it, which is useful as I've never heard their in-wall speakers. Not sure anyone else has either! But is the 905 likely to be up to the job? I get the feeling from reading all the posts, that it's the best option, value wise and outright in quality terms. I'd prefer not to add a stereo integrated for the front pair if it can be avoided, I'd rather add a stereo power amp later on for quality, so is this the right AV amp?

Cheers!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I can certainly recommend it as an AV amp, though I haven't heard it with those speakers. Just watched Master and Commander on Blu-Ray though and my goodness, it rocked the living room - and probably the people's who live in the living room above me
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Much obliged to you professor.

Looks as though we'll go with it. But of perhaps more interest is the kitchen. Well, more a kitchen / living space. 42inch Pioneer 427 is going in there and an Onkyo 875 to power a style surround system. This time, no embedded speakers, it'll need to be on-walls. So which ones? 20ft x 15ft. Any suggestions? Are the 3005 Kefs and MT30 B&Ws really all that's out there? Are they good enough for the Onkyo? Does anyone make a better set of satellites. (May put a different sub with them, Velodyne 800R perhaps).

So thoughts please. Up to £1500 retail on satelites. Anyone have an alternative suggestion? M&K perhaps?? Really appreciate an expert opinion!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, see PJs thoughts in another thread - definitely worth an audition (haven't heard them personally). Out of the other two, have heard the KEFs and they were very good for a style system but I can well believe Clare when she says the MT30 package is better (my B&W system has M1 rears and they do provide fantastically detailed rear effects...)

A

Anonymous

Problem with the Arcams is they don't really look very nice.

Major advantage of any system of style speakers would be if they came in white. That way, they won't show on the walls too much. The Bose cubes, would suit, but then no-one ever has anything nice to say about them.

Has anyone heard the Orb Audio speakers from the states? They look gorgeous, but then, no-one seems to have tested them over here so comparisons with the B&W, KEF and Bose wouldn't be possible. On Onk 875 is pretty monstrously capable amp, (it'll power a zone 2 in the hall) so there must be some suggestions for style speakers, even in a strip shape. They'll be in amongst cabinetry at the front. So a little larger than average would be ok there.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:Problem with the Arcams is they don't really look very nice.

Major advantage of any system of style speakers would be if they came in white. That way, they won't show on the walls too much. The Bose cubes, would suit, but then no-one ever has anything nice to say about them.

Has anyone heard the Orb Audio speakers from the states? They look gorgeous, but then, no-one seems to have tested them over here so comparisons with the B&W, KEF and Bose wouldn't be possible. On Onk 875 is pretty monstrously capable amp, (it'll power a zone 2 in the hall) so there must be some suggestions for style speakers, even in a strip shape. They'll be in amongst cabinetry at the front. So a little larger than average would be ok there.

Why don't you get the Denon 4308 and use it for both rooms?

By the way the MT30s are fantastic and will be definitely good enough of whichever receiver you go for. Obviously they won't be as good as traditional speakers but they sound brilliant all the same.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts