Which are te best for metal and rock; MA Silver 6 or B&W CM8S2?

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Next week i hope i can listen to these 2 speakers. But has anyone heard these speakers? I have listen to a lot of speakers and only these not yet. Metal and older rock sounds on many apeakers very bad. Sharp, shrill, too bright. Ity hurt my ears. Or it sound flat such on the Kef R500. On the Kef it was very boring.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The simple answer is the one that you prefer....remember, there is more to the sound of a system than the speakers (imo).

What was the kit driving the Kefs?

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The Exposure 3010S2/D was driving the Kef's. Cables Wireworld luna. It was unexcited. Not fun with metal and voices too laid back. And the bass on the Kef was not good.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I tried the Kef r500 and didn't find them failing in the bass or to bright you might try listening to the Kef r700 Great bass and treble or you could look out for a pair of ATC SCM40s on the bay as there is a new modle out now and you might find a pair at a bargain price. what source are you using ?

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Source are the Pioneer N50-A streamer connected with a NAS. But on the Kef really metal don't make fun. So boring and flat. I like with this music more excitement.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:
The Exposure 3010S2/D was driving the Kef's. Cables Wireworld luna. It was unexcited. Not fun with metal and voices too laid back. And the bass on the Kef was not good.

It is possible that Exposure/R Series just doesn't work...or the room acoustics were not favorable.

It looks to me that, (taking into account your amp character/taste in music/personal preference), there will be speakers that suit, but you may have to kiss a few frogs to find them.

Brands to consider - ATC, PMC, Focal, Taga Harmony, Tannoy, Mark and Daniel, Paradigm, Triangle.

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
First i will next week listen to the B&W CM8S2 and the MA Silver 6. For my room i want floorstander who are not too big. For a few years i've heard the MA RX6. When i remember me a very nice sound with metal with very good bass. Maybe a little bright at the top end but hifi is always a compromis. But it makes fun listen to the RX6. That's why i'am interested in the Silver 6. From B&W there is always it is very nice with rock and metal because of their warm bass and no brightness. The 683S2 is too big. the 684S2 i don't find good. Very bad bass. But maybe the CM8S2 is good. I will buy speakers with a amp. For MA i think Arcam A19, because MA and Arcam was always a good match. For B&W i think Rotel 1570.

rainsoothe

For the sound you're describing, the music you're listening and floorstanders that aren't too big and with great bass, you should really audition Naim Nait XS2 (or used Supernait 1, or Supernait 2) + Martin Logan Motion 20 (or 40) or Neat Motive SX2 speakers.

Also, have been reading a lot of pozitive stuff about Rogue Audio Sphinx - which seems to be quite the gem, and capable enough to drive a pair of ATC SCM 19 (i know they're not floorstanders).

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
You want excitement in your Rock? Do not mess about with various other HiFi makes go straight for the jagular and audition Naim products.

I auditioned Naim Supernait 2 with the entry level Naim CD via PMC23 Loudspeakers and played 'Perfect Strangers' live version by Deep Purple and I had a wow moment. It was all there, bass, vocals, soaring meaty sounding guitars and the growl of the Hammond Organ. I could not ask for more from the sound, it just nailed it in true 'Rock' fashion. And to plus it the atmosphere of the venue came over strongly. (I must admit I prefer live recordings in comparison to often sterile studio version of the same song).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts