Which Android phone?

John Duncan

My iPhone 4 has just got stuck thinking it has headphones all the time, which means I can't make calls without headphones in, which is a serious PITA. This, combined with the fact that iOS7 has made it run like a dog, is the last straw. Which Android phone can you recommend? I love the look of the Sony Experia Z, which has just been slashed down to £330, and the Nexus 5 is the obvious alternative, but what about the Moto G, which seems a serious bargain? Is that a player or is it going to annoy me by being too slow?

daveh75

John Duncan said:
what about the Moto G, which seems a serious bargain? Is that a player or is it going to annoy me by being too slow?

It is a serious bargain!

Using one for work, and while its not as slick as my Nexus 5, its no slouch.

TR actually somes it up pretty well (so you don't have to read all 12 pages of their review)

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/moto-g-1199218/review/12#articleContent

mattytun1514

May 20, 2009
Visit site
i was asking about this phone the other day and i got the good deal at argos it was the last phone in shop http://www.whathifi.com/forum/android/motorola-moto-g

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
John,

I have a Sony Experia X10 its approaching its 4 year and all I have done is replace the battery! My son has a Sony Experia S and he is delighted with it. His colleague has Sony Experia Z and is delighted with hisSony and my son had a go with it loved as well. He will get a Sony Experia Z1 when his contract ends.I love Sony phones because they are reliable and take good photos when I don't have my Canon SLR.

mattytun1514

May 20, 2009
Visit site
http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-8gb-black/454-8906.prd?skuId=454-8906&pageLevel=&sc_cmp=aff_1018132

back in stock - £99

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
daveh75 said:
Until 4G is widespread I don't see lack of support as an issue.

EE is already available in 160 cities and towns in the country, which is widespread enough already, and considering the normal life cycle of a phone of 2 years, about 95% of UK will have 4G by then.

Given the fact that 3G is still in place, and will remain so, and what with the pitiful data allowances, I see no reason to use 4G. It's not like 3G is slow.

I live in a little town currently, and have had 4G since October 2012 on EE. Now I'm on Vodafone, as there are plans for 4G coverage in my area within 3 months. So I'm using 3G currently, which appears excruciatingly slow to me after being used to blazing fast 4G. I never dreamt of watching full HD YouTube videos and listening to Spotify while driving when on 3G. So for me, 4G is well worth the upgrade, and if I'm in the market for a phone, 4G support is an essential criteria. Three's 4G rates are same as 3G, and O2's 4G rates have recently been slashed. I will not want to be left out on 4G if I'm buying a phone today.

daveh75

bigboss said:
daveh75 said:
Until 4G is widespread I don't see lack of support as an issue.

EE is already available in 160 cities and towns in the country, which is widespread enough already, and considering the normal life cycle of a phone of 2 years, about 95% of UK will have 4G by then.

And using the early start the government gave them as an opportunity to gouge everybody...

People were still prepard to pay the premium to EE, indicating strong demand.

My current Vodafone plan gives me 4GB data + additional 4GB for Spotify Premium per month, on a £43 per month plan with free HTC One. I got 3 month half price line rental, and £150 cashback from Quidco. Once the 3 months half price rental is over, I will apply for 20% NHS discount on my line rental.

The other network providers are catching up fast in coverage. O2 for example is already available in 144 cities and towns.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm in Sweden, so things are a little different. But I will be sticking with 3G. It plays Spotify flawlessly, gives me a solid (capped) 3Mbps which is enough for Netflix too.

The big advantage is that it's an unlimited tarrif, which was the norm with 3G over here. Now they have wasted all that money on 4G, the tarrifs are now down to around a max of 10GB, which is pitiful... 1 HD film on Netflix takes around 4GB.

daveh75

Most of the other providers are scheduled to complete year end 2015.

Or in other words, if you buy a phone now, by the time its time to replace it (that 2 year life cycle you mention) it will be worth worrying about 4G support

daveh75 said:

Or in other words, by a phone now and by the time its time to replace it (that 2 year life cycle you mention) it will be worth considering 4G

So you'll consider 4G only if it covers the remotest towns? No reason to do that. Simply check 4G coverage in your area. If a particular network provider does not provide 4G in your area, simply switch to another (same as broadband).

Check what Ofcom says about 4G coverage:

Ofcom has designed the 4G auction in a way that will see mobile broadband rolled out to at least 98% of people in villages, towns and cities across the UK. This is for indoor coverage; however, given that it is easier to provide coverage outdoors, a network meeting this obligation is likely to cover more than 99% of the UK by population when outdoors.

Ed Richards, Ofcom Chief Executive, said: ‘As a direct result of the measures Ofcom is introducing, consumers will be able to surf the web stream high-quality videos and download big files on their mobile device from almost every home in the UK.’

daveh75

bigboss said:
daveh75 said:

Or in other words, by a phone now and by the time its time to replace it (that 2 year life cycle you mention) it will be worth considering 4G

So you'll consider 4G only if it covers the remotest towns? No reason to do that. Simply check 4G coverage in your area. If a particular network provider does not provide 4G in your area, simply switch to another (same as broadband).

No of course not and no provider has good 4G coverage in my part of the world (and no i'm not in themiddle of nowhere)

I have a 4G phone, and provider, 4G just isn't any use to me ATM, since its only available in Cities/large towns and i can usually find reliable WiFi in them anyway.

My point is 4G is still very much early adopter territory, so wouldn't discount buying a phone just because it doesn't support 4G.

daveh75

bigboss said:
Even today, 3G coverage isn't 100%, yet it doesn't stop people from going for 3G.

The fault of a greedy government ripping providers off for licenses and giving to many concessions WRT coverage etc in return.

4G will be better regulated (in theory).

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The problem is the networks don't tell you when 4G is going to be available in your area, they just "announce" that its happened

In the meantime I picked up a Moto G over Christmas to see what all the fuss was about and I'm loving it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts