Which amp would you choose?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone

I am going to give my son my old marantz CD63SE CD player and Mordant Short MS904 Declaration speakers can anyone suggest an amplifier to partner them, I have lost touch with hifi over the years and would appreciate any suggestions on the latest kit.

Thanks

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Probably the Marantz PM7001 at £350. "2 x 70 watts amplification, 6 inputs including a turntable input and 2 tape loops, a pre-out/main-in loop, 2 independently switchable speaker outputs and a superior build quality using high grade audio components."

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="theoldfella"]
Hi everyone

I am going to give my son my old marantz CD63SE CD player and Mordant Short MS904 Declaration speakers can anyone suggest an amplifier to partner them, I have lost touch with hifi over the years and would appreciate any suggestions on the latest kit.

[/quote]

Its nice of you to provide your son with what probably is his first system but I dont think you need to spend that much unless you are planning to upgrade the whole system gradually. I'd get a second hand Marantz PM66SE or 6001OSE or something like that and it will make nice music for not much money.

A

Anonymous

Drummerman's right...check the second-hand market for some good deals. I'd also suggest you keep a look out for a used NAD C352 amp.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Second hand is a different matter as there are many more options. Do you want something older and used? Providing it hasn't been thrashed you'll get more for your budget and less.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all for your comments, I didn't think of second hand equipment, but I will have a look around as it makes sense to get something that won't unbalance the system.

T

the record spot

£200 or thereabouts will get you the PM66SE-KI or mine (below) - both knockout amps; powerful enough, detailed, with great presence. A good chance that might even be less - £150 or the like, so shop around.

Edit - check out the Badaweb marketplace site - plenty of options on there for good money and likely to come with a warranty in some cases too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts