Which amp is the best for B&W 683S2?

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
After listening sessions the B&W 683S2 was the best for me. For me it sounded better than the CM8S2. I've heard it with the Arcam A19, only 50 W., but it sounds very good. Are there other amps suitable for the B&W 683S2? I can buy the Arcam for 800,-- Euro. The dealer also give me a offer for the Exposure 3010S2/D for 1400,-- Euro.

I never liked Naim and rotel.

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Depending on how loud you want to play these, get enough power to cope with the impedance dips. I got my receiver in protect with loud volumes on a movie with these speakers. I also noticed when upgrading to a power amp that there was more punch in the bass area.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I preferred Creek 50A to Arcam A19, so maybe worth trying if you can. If you want more power then the Roksan Kandy K2 would prob. be the best choice, think you can get them for about £450 now. Also there are some good offers on Marantz at the moment. But don't know your market. Have not heard the Exposure.

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The arcam sounded good and i always listening in the evening on normal niveau. But i think more power isn't wrong. The Exposure is a good offer. Normal price is 2099,-- euro and i can become it for 1400,-- euro. But don't know of it matched with the b&w. From Marantz i don't like their highes. It is not bright, but it irritating me. I liked the old warm sounding Marantz. Not their current models. Maybe the new Roksan k3 is a option?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:
The arcam sounded good and i always listening in the evening on normal niveau. But i think more power isn't wrong. The Exposure is a good offer. Normal price is 2099,-- euro and i can become it for 1400,-- euro. But don't know of it matched with the b&w. From Marantz i don't like their highes. It is not bright, but it irritating me. I liked the old warm sounding Marantz. Not their current models. Maybe the new Roksan k3 is a option?

I thought you had already auditioned the 3010S2 with some Kef speakers, and found it bright. If so, I am not certain that you will find the B&W 683 S2 any warmer than the Kefs.

I liked the Exposure 3010s2, but preferred and ended buying the Arcam A19. I found the latter to have a fuller presentation, which was what I was looking for at the time.

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes; i like the Arcam A19 too. It sounded very good with the B&W. But always told b&W needed much power. But the dealer told me that's marketing. I'm not sure about the sound of Exposure. With the Kef it sounded for me too forward with too agressive highs.

Also the Arcam has only 50 W. it is for me now the no. 1. The MF M3si seems also a fine amp.

AVRhunt

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Please help : I have been told i need a more powerfull AVR for my setup or i may burn my speakers voice coils by underpowering it..

My current Setup:

Yamaha RX- A820 Amp / connected to B&W 683s2 + HTM61 + B&W 685S2 + Jamo E8 sub..

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a820_black_u/

i was recomended to go for a Marantz SR6009 or a Marantz SR7009 series that will solve the current /power issue and get the most out of my speakers.

Another option was to buy a SR5009 with a Power amp. - Marantz 7025/7055 - sounded pretty expensive. Some reviews say the new Marantz is bright and lacks warmth. Eish - confused.....

Main use: 80 % movies/hometheatre and 20 % music (i would love an amp that could handle both)

Any suggestions guys?

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
AVRhunt said:
Please help : I have been told i need a more powerfull AVR for my setup or i may burn my speakers voice coils by underpowering it..

My current Setup:

Yamaha RX- A820 Amp / connected to B&W 683s2 + HTM61 + B&W 685S2 + Jamo E8 sub..

i was recomended to go for a Marantz SR6009 or a Marantz SR7009 series that will solve the current /power issue and get the most out of my speakers.

Another option was to buy a SR5009 with a Power amp. - Marantz 7025/7055 - sounded pretty expensive. Some reviews say the new Marantz is bright and lacks warmth. Eish - confused.....

Main use: 80 % movies/hometheatre and 20 % music (i would love an amp that could handle both)

Any suggestions guys?

If you are doing 80% movies, then you might consider getting an active subwoofer. This will take care of all your issues, the amp will be relieved of the power sucking low frequencies.

manicm

AVRhunt said:

My current Setup:

Any suggestions guys?

Forget what anyone told you, what to you are shortcomings in your system? Is the sound not satisfactory? Bass?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts