Which amp for MA RS6 speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey everyone,

First of all, thanks to the What Hi Fi team for putting together a great site & forum. This is my first post, and can't wait to become a regular!

After listening to many different pairs of speakers, I think I'll probably settle on the Monitor Audio RS6 because of their value. I have to fill a large living room so I think floorstanders are the way to go. I can't really afford to spend much more as I have to buy an amp, too. I'm probably going to look at the used market for my amp to save some dosh and am hoping that the WHF faithful can give me some help with amp selection.

My dream set-up would consist of either Naim or Exposure driving Neat Motive, Proac 130 or Rega R5 speakers...but it's all out of my price range at the moment & I need to get rid of my existing Sony set-up (it's killing me!).

Right now, there's two Arcam amps available on the used market in Canada (where I'm from). One is the Arcam A85 and the seller is asking $675 Canadian. The other is the Arcam FMJ A22 for $750 Canadian. I can also try and find a NAD C352 somewhere, now that the C355bee is on the market.

I'd love to hear your suggestions on these & other amps to consider. Also, other speakers I should be considering. My budget is $1300 for the speakers & $1000 max for the amp.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

You should be able to get the Arcam FMJ A32 for that much in Canadian $...superb amp! The NAD C372 is also a beast and should be looked at.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you are really set on the MA's (bearing in mind that Rega's R3 are prob roughly the same price in your neck of the woods and the R5's only just a little more expensive, either one imo better) both Arcam and Musical Fidelity match ok.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You should be able to get the Arcam FMJ A32 for that much in Canadian $...superb amp!

... Really
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Which amp would you match with the R3 or R5, drummerman? Keep in mind that I have a limited budget and need something powerful enough to fill a large room.

Also, I'm guessing that your sly smile was a knock against the A32? Not a fan of Arcam?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Canada made some of the finest HiFi in the world! but all the Brits should be honored that you are going for Arcam, Nad and Monitor Audio!

A

Anonymous

Yes, the Canucks do make good hi fi, but my heart lies with England...
emotion-2.gif

On the Naim front...I could wait to find a Nait 5i used for around $1100 and look at Focal JmLab 714 speakers to match as they're only $ 845 here. Is that a good match-up for a large living room?

A

Anonymous

Has anyone paired the NAD C355bee with the RS6's with any luck?

Right now I can grab the 355bee for only $599 Canadian...which seems to be a good deal.

A

Anonymous

Perhaps I may be of service. being the resident canadian.

I'd say get the nad, hands down if you're buying new. If used is the game get the FMJ (brits should note that Arcam has disproportionately high north american pricing). The Primare and Nait would also be excellent gets if you go down the used route. However, if you like nad and arcam the Naim may be too harsh for you.

Whatever you do don't buy Anthem. It's ubiquitous in Canadian HiFi shops and total rubbish. A rare miss for the canadian hifi industry.

A

Anonymous

Oh and if you're buying Arcam get fmj or none at all.

And the question begs... considering how inexpensive (relatively) totems are here in their domestic market, why not the Arro or the Rainmaker??? I'm sure you've heard the little darlings?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Mr. Palmer!

I think the C355bee would probably pair well with the RS6 speakers...so I will probably go down that route. Have you heard NAD paired with the RS6's?

As for the Totems, I've heard them with NAD and I got the feeling that they would benefit with a Naim amp or something with more PRAT than Arcam or NAD.

Do you think the Arros would service a large living room with the right amplification?

A

Anonymous

I believe.. Thaiman? I think it was thaiman who had arros. He loved them. And yes, the Arros would easily fill a large room, my rainmakers fill my entire apartment at 10:30 on the dial, at twelve I can listen to them from the living room, through the dining area and onto the balcony. Don't think that just cause they're mounters they have no oomph. It's a 9 litre enclosure that performs down to 42Hz, I'd put it on Par with the silver6 for room-filling ability.

A

Anonymous

Well, if I'm lucky enough to find a Naim Nait 5i on the used market, maybe I'll look towards the Rainmakers or Arros. I think the Nait goes for around 1050-1100 used, and the Totems are 1100 (rainmakers) and 1350 (arros). That would be stretching my budget, but may be worth it.

It's either NAD C355bee & Monitor Audio RS6 new = $1650 + tax; or

Naim Nait 5i used & Totem Arros new = $2500ish...although I'd probably be tempted to hold out for Neat Motives if I found a Naim used.
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Good to see another Canadian on the forum! Glad to see you've met Ray, too.

Not to hijack this thread, but I've been away for a bit (moved into my new loft and loving the new digs) and thought I'd say what's up to Ray! BTW - still no decision on my new set-up, but I'll have to make my move soon!

I'm in the same position as you and am replacing a vintage NAD combo with (hopefully) an Exposure 2010S or Naim Nait 5i and Neat Motive 2's! I just have to convince the wife that it's a good thing to spend all this money! LOL

If she vetoes that system, I may be looking at NAD and Monior Audio, too. Although I still have a few speakers to audition (Focal JmLab Chorus 714s, Dali Ikon 6, Revel Concerta F12s and B&W 683s). For what it's worth, the Monitor Audio RS6's have me interested because of their price - I was quite impressed and have no problems settling for them.

A

Anonymous

Brock! I thought we'd lost you! I'll have to insist you post pics of your setup when it's all done.

As for the Rainmakers... 1100?? No sir. I think you'll find you can get them for 950, or 900 even maybe. You just have to shop around and make it clear that you're a friendly and loyal sort of bloke. (play the game)

As for Nait. I had one not so long ago, absolutely loved it. It sang with my rainmakers. I moved away from it because I'm very sensitive to brightness, as a result I'm using a Jolida now. 1100 seems to be pretty much the going rate. I think Electronic Depot in the Falls still has a demo Nait5i version 1 (no 3.5mm input on the front for the kids and their ipods) they need to shift. Not sure though, might want to Email Graham there.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:Canada made some of the finest HiFi in the world! but all the Brits should be honored that you are going for Arcam, Nad and Monitor Audio!

I'm Swiss so can I be excused?
emotion-1.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Whosgotsoul:

Which amp would you match with the R3 or R5, drummerman? Keep in mind that I have a limited budget and need something powerful enough to fill a large room.

Also, I'm guessing that your sly smile was a knock against the A32? Not a fan of Arcam?

I would'nt buy their amplifiers but thats just me. Around that price cyrus8vs2 is a good match for Rega.

A

Anonymous

How about a Creek Evo amp for your RS6's?

I haven't heard the pairing, but the Stereophile reviewer that raved about the RS6 paired it with the Creek Classic 5350 for his review.

Has anyone on the forum heard the Evo & RS6 together?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO out of the amps mentioned i'd go for the NAD C352 or the NAD C355BEE if you can get it.

I have auditioned both amps on my RS6's and my mates RS8's and theyre superb. The NAD C355 just out-pipped the C352 with a bit more bass weight and smoothness in the midrange.

All the above is IMO - My hearing and music tastes are different to everyone elses!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
brock_boogie:
How about a Creek Evo amp for your RS6's?

I haven't heard the pairing, but the Stereophile reviewer that raved about the RS6 paired it with the Creek Classic 5350 for his review.

Has anyone on the forum heard the Evo & RS6 together?

Spot on. I had the Evo with my RS6s and they sounded fabulous together. I only upgraded because the Evo would not link with my AV receiver. I have mentioned the Evo many times on here to be paired with these speakers - you will not be disappointed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts