Which 4K ultra HD or Blu Ray DVDs have DTS X on?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

As above, just bought a new amp and what to know how to use it? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

To do Dolby Atmos can you do it with 5.1 speakers?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
What Amp did you buy? Atmos you need ceiling or up firing speakers. It can't be done withint a 5.1 set up, it needs to become 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 etc etc. Also didn't really thing DTS x was much benefit if you only have 5.1 setup? Might be wrong here though

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
What Amp did you buy? Atmos you need ceiling or up firing speakers. It can't be done withint a 5.1 set up, it needs to become 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 etc etc. Also didn't really thing DTS x was much benefit if you only have 5.1 setup? Might be wrong here though
Yamaha 3050 amp - just reading about DTS X on the WHF page and it says to use it in a 5.1 setup, so I am cool there. What's the 5.1.2 setup for Atmos? 5 speakers 1 sub and two other speakers?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
it will work, I'm just not sure on the benefit, I think you need more speakers to really benefit, again not sure but that's my understanding.

for the .2 in 5.1.2 it is indeed Left, Right, Centre, Left rear, Right rear, one Sub and two ceiling speakers or 2 upfiring speakers. Though I believe you have to coat your ceiling in a specific type of paint to get the bounce of the ceiling.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
macdiddy said:
you will need to add two more ceiling/height spks for Atmos/DTS-X.

*music2*
How high? Ta

for proper Atmos you need ceiling speakers mate, so as high as your ceiling
regular_smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
it will work, I'm just not sure on the benefit, I think you need more speakers to really benefit, again not sure but that's my understanding.

for the .2 in 5.1.2 it is indeed Left, Right, Centre, Left rear, Right rear, one Sub and two ceiling speakers or 2 upfiring speakers. Though I believe you have to coat your ceiling in a specific type of paint to get the bounce of the ceiling.
My ceiling is massive and triangular, these other two speakers would need to go on the side walls.

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
Hi gel i use CA MINX MIN12 they come with a bracket that you can screw to the ceiling.
Hi mate, ta, my ceiling is triangular though and really high, I think these speakers would need to go on the side walls.

D

Deleted member 2457

Benedict_Arnold said:
X = number of speakers around the room.

X=1 means mono. X=2 means stereo. X=3 means stereo plus a centre. X=5 means two fronts, two surrounds (not necessarily backs) and one centre. X=6 means you add one back. X=7 means you add two backs. X greater than 7 isn't available (much) for home use, except, possibly, in Japan. The additonal speakers would go down the sides, and most of us don't have living rooms / movie rooms the size of your local cinema, so probably pointless.

Y = number of subwoofers.

Can be 0, 1 or 2, but you can always wire up two or more subs to the same output channel.

Z = number of upward firing, overhead or height speakers.

Overheads are best.

Atmos speakers that bounce sounds off the ceiling don't work well, if at all.

Height speakers are the compromise.

You need a minimum of two overheads for Atmos.

DTS:X and Aura3D (or whatever it's called) need only one overhead - sometimes referred to as the "voice of God".

Personally, I think one of the reasons DTS:X is more popular in cinemas, and may come to rule at home (much like the technically inferior but longer playing VHS beat out Betamax) is beause it uses fewer overhead speakers. Much easier to fit speakers down the walls than in the ceilings, especially if your local cinema stems from the art deco period (or earlier) and probably has some sort of protected status on its ceiling. Likewise you'll do less damage to the artex at home fitting one speaker in the middle of the ceiling (possibly replacing that light you bought at Ikea and have regretted doing so ever since), than fitting 2, or as in my case, 2, then another 4 later.
Ah cheers, that is interesting.

D

Deleted member 2457

What about these two speakers for going on the wall?

https://www.hifix.co.uk/speakers/home-cinema-speakers/rear-surround-speakers/b-w-ds3-dipole-speakers-pair

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
gel said:
What about these two speakers for going on the wall?

https://www.hifix.co.uk/speakers/home-cinema-speakers/rear-surround-speakers/b-w-ds3-dipole-speakers-pair

no................
Don't they work? Damn.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
X = number of speakers around the room.

X=1 means mono.

X=2 means stereo.

X=3 means stereo plus a centre.

X=5 means two fronts, two surrounds (not necessarily backs) and one centre.

X=6 means you add one back.

X=7 means you add two backs and the surrounds go either side of the main listening position.

X greater than 7 isn't available (much) for home use, except, possibly, in Japan. The additonal speakers would go down the sides, and as most of us don't have living rooms / movie rooms the size of your local cinema, it's probably pointless for home use.

Y = number of subwoofers.

Can be 0, 1 or 2, but you can always wire up two or more subs to the same output channel. I've got two, planning to add 2 more, one in each corner of the room.

Z = number of upward firing, overhead or height speakers.

Overheads are best.

Atmos speakers that bounce sounds off the ceiling don't work well, if at all (IMHO of course).

Height speakers are the compromise. You put them on the walls front and back or at the sides near the ceiling and the sound is angled downwards.

You need a minimum of two overheads / bouncers / heights for Atmos, arranged half-way down the room or over your main listening position, left and right, about 1/4 and 3/4 of the way across the ceiling, maybe closer to the walls in a small room. 4 speakers should go at 1/4 and 3/4 of the way down the room or at plus and minus 45 degrees or so from your main listening position in a smal room.

DTS:X and Aura3D (or whatever it's called) need only one overhead - sometimes referred to as the "voice of God".

Personally, I think one of the reasons DTS:X is more popular in cinemas, and may come to rule at home (much like the technically inferior but longer playing VHS beat out Betamax) is beause it uses fewer overhead speakers. Much easier to hang speakers down the walls than fit them in or on the ceilings, especially if your local cinema stems from the art deco period (or earlier) and probably has some sort of protected status on its ceiling (or is just a flipping long way off the ground). Likewise you'll do less damage to the artex at home fitting one speaker in the middle of the ceiling (possibly replacing that "trendy" light you bought at Ikea and have regretted doing so ever since), than fitting 2, or as in my case, 2, then another 4 later.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Surrounds should go at ear height, so they say, which is about 3'6" or so above the floor (assuming you're not an eight-foot tall professional basketball player sitting on a bar stool). Mine are actually set at about 5' off the floor and they seem to work fine, although, I suppose, sounds seem to come form "up and over there" rather than "down and over there" - which probably means next year's big thing will be in-floor or in-skirting-board speakers as well, shudder. You notice it more with the sides than the rears.

Unless you're going for in-the-wall and / or in-the ceiling speakers, I'd suggest starting off with second hand bookshelf speakers off fleabay that you can hang off screws in the walls or put on cheap stands (or bookshelves even, if you must) and go from there. If they work well enough, keep them. If not, flog them on for more or less what you paid for them. Spend the money on a big powerful 12 or 15 inch subwoofer going down to below 30 Hz instead. Surround sound is all about effect, not audiophile stereo sound, remember.

Some people (salesmen mostly) say you need the same brand speakers all around. I'd say that's fair for the fronts and centre, but not for the surrounds. Just make sure they're about 50 WPC capable, around the same sensitivity as the fronts, and that the woofers are at least 3 inches in diameter. Otherwise they won't move enough air.

If you're going for height speakers rather than in-ceiling speakers, I know I keep banging on about them but look at the Klipsch RP-140SA speakers, or figure out what you could do with a pair of cheap secondhand bookshelf speakers and a chainsaw for much the same concept.

Add-on speakers or "Atmos speakers" that bounce sound off the ceilings are generally regarded in much the same light as chocolate teapots.

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
Hi gel have you seen my dolby atmos speakers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69466459@N04/21064489193/in/dateposted-public/
Cheers mate. Looks good.

D

Deleted member 2457

Benedict_Arnold said:
Surrounds should go at ear height, so they say, which is about 3'6" or so above the floor (assuming you're not an eight-foot tall professional basketball player sitting on a bar stool). Mine are actually set at about 5' off the floor and they seem to work fine, although, I suppose, sounds seem to come form "up and over there" rather than "down and over there" - which probably means next year's big thing will be in-floor or in-skirting-board speakers as well, shudder. You notice it more with the sides than the rears.

Unless you're going for in-the-wall and / or in-the ceiling speakers, I'd suggest starting off with second hand bookshelf speakers off fleabay that you can hang off screws in the walls or put on cheap stands (or bookshelves even, if you must) and go from there. If they work well enough, keep them. If not, flog them on for more or less what you paid for them. Spend the money on a big powerful 12 or 15 inch subwoofer going down to below 30 Hz instead. Surround sound is all about effect, not audiophile stereo sound, remember.

Some people (salesmen mostly) say you need the same brand speakers all around. I'd say that's fair for the fronts and centre, but not for the surrounds. Just make sure they're about 50 WPC capable, around the same sensitivity as the fronts, and that the woofers are at least 3 inches in diameter. Otherwise they won't move enough air.

If you're going for height speakers rather than in-ceiling speakers, I know I keep banging on about them but look at the Klipsch RP-140SA speakers, or figure out what you could do with a pair of cheap secondhand bookshelf speakers and a chainsaw for much the same concept.

Add-on speakers or "Atmos speakers" that bounce sound off the ceilings are generally regarded in much the same light as chocolate teapots.
Cheers - that's great! Problem I have a bit is that they have discontinued my speakers now. I can still get the new sub but not speakers, I will have a look around. Ta

DTS:X without height speakers will not sound effective. If you're adding extra speakers, you need to plan properly and include support for Atmos as well.

Post some pictures of your room and current speaker placements. Then we can help you with suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts