Which 2nd hand floorstanders under £400?

phydeau

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
How about some half price new Focal 714's?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-Chorus-714-V-Floorstanding-Speakers-Ebony-Brand-New-RRP-A-669-/261304785789?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3cd6fa9b7d

Very clear, but need a warm, laid back amp.

phydeau

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely love them. But they don't seem to have many fans, and I can't understand why. They definately lean on the forward and bright side, but with the right amp, I think they sound stunning. A really dynamic and musical sound. They have a wonderful clarity - voices just seem to float in the air, and they are detailed and fast. I have a Yamaha amp, and that seems to be a great combination. I'd imagine with a bright amp, they top notes would be too much, which is maybe why they have few fans.

What sort of music do you listen to?

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
mainly i listen to R&B, hip hop and dance music however listen to other stuff too. i think the forward nature of the 714 may not suit me as i prefer a more warm sound.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I'd stay clear of monitor audio if you want a warm sound.

I'd go for wharfedale/b&w amonst others.

A pair of second hand 684's should be around £400, if you can source a pair of wharfedale 9.6 it's worth a demo if you like a full bass sound, may be impossible though. The 10.7 should be good too though more expensive.

phydeau

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
krish123 said:
mainly i listen to R&B, hip hop and dance music however listen to other stuff too. i think the forward nature of the 714 may not suit me as i prefer a more warm sound.

Maybe the Focals aren't the solution for you - they don't deliver bass in heaps.

T

the record spot

Mission 752. Mind bogglingly good speaker. Mint versions are yours for around £100-150.

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Krish, If the Linns are still in the running have a look at this great example. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Keilidhs-rosenut-stunning-condition-99p-no-reserve-/261319321612?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3cd7d8680c

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
The missions are a bit to old I think looking for Sumthin a bit more modern . Il look into the linns mate as I haven't heard of those speakers before. Any more reccomendations

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
You might be able to snatch up some Q Acoustics 2050i's if you shop about. Failing that, some KEF iQ5 SE's or some Tannoy DC4's. I've not had any experience with the MF amp though so I can't comment on compatability, sorry.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I probably would look at a pair of MABX5's. HifiWorld measured/tested them and they came out with flying colours. Very well engineered/voiced for the money with tremendous bass.

When they came out first, years ago, I listened to a pair with cyrus and rotel amplification and found them better then the next range floorstander up (I think RS range) and better than some B&W floorstanders, the model of which I can't remember.

Very nice bass too.

I would perhaps suggest some Rega RS3 but I only heard the older R3 and front port output of internal reflections was slightly off putting plus the tweeter was a little harsh. Good rythm and bass though.

regards

T

the record spot

The Missions, if you get the original ones, are as contemporary sounding as any. Certainly, if you're looking at the Keilidhs you're in the same period almost.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
just setup my amp in my room and the sound is lovely, really an improvement over my old amp. Really made my small missions sing!

Now just to let you guys know wat im looking for in these floorstanders. I want a nice big soundstage with a warmer rather than bright or forward sound so perhaps a soft dome tweeter. Finally i want some good bass nice and powerful and extended. Looking second hand max £400

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi Krish. I would suggest some vienna acoustics bach or perhaps pro ac studio 125. Both nice smooth, warm sound with great soundstage. They both have soft dome tweeters so nice sweet treble is the order of the day. I have heard both with the amp you have purchased and was a good match. I used to own the viennas. lovely speakers. Almost bought the proacs but the viennas were cheaper so went for them. they can both be had for 400 or less and both originally sold for 1000 so offer a taste of high end. hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS