WHF Testers - HP Mediasmart Server EX490 Review

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
The review of the Mediasmart Server says that a RAID 1 (backed up) configuration can be used.

As far as i can see from the specs, RAID is not possible with this device, only that you can set it up to duplicate (specified) shared folders - not a mirror image on two drives. Is this correct, or has RAID functionality now been added?

There also seems to be some conflicting information as to whether the USB ports do provide shared printing functionality over the network. Did you manage successfully do this?

Thanks

Steve

A

Anonymous

You are correct Mr Steve. The EX490 does not support RAID at all. It uses a software-implementation for data duplication. It basically runs the disks as JBOD and makes them a 'storage pool'. You can then configure certain folders/shares to be duplicated. It will then make sure that another copy of that data is stored on a different drive to where it is originally stored thus producing a partial-psuedo-RAID 1 effect.

A

Anonymous

Further, to answer your question about USB Printer Sharing, the HP website (see here) states:

HP:Q. Can a printer with a USB connection be attached to the HP MediaSmart Server?
A. Windows Home Server does not support printer sharing. That said, most printers today offer network capabilities.

Hope this helps.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Beta4Me,

emotion-21.gif
for the confirmations. The HP does then seem to be more limiting than some of the other options - i will have to continue looking.

Regards

A

Anonymous

It isn't so much the HP but inherent limitations of Windows Home Server. If you are somewhat technical you could easily get around them by playing with the underlying OS settings or 3rd party software.

If you would like to go down this path I would be happy to assist.

A

Anonymous

I own an HPX510 with 6TB of storage, it is the best NAS I've ever owned. It resides in our living room as the noise is not to intrusive unlike other NAS boxes, performance is excellent. It's very extensible and easy to use, compatible with PC's and Macs.

My previous NAS boxes have been slow and noisey (whiny fans !) I've tried

- Netgear, Thecus, Evesham, Synology, QNAP and built an unraid, the HP tops them all.

I'd recommend this NAS box as the best one currently available. Mine was purchased with 3TB for less than £500 from eBuyer (although I've noticed the price has gone up), the HPX510 is the business equivalent to the EX495.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

TRENDING THREADS