WHF Site and Bauer in general.

manicm

I would gladly pay a reasonable amount monthly for the website if you remove the idiotic ads at the bottom, and the imbecilic, unrelated videos that pop up from nowhere, both obscuring the content.

I‘ll categorically state that visiting the WHF or Techradar sites is not a pleasurable or pleasant experience anymore.

Reactions: eoc69
D

Deleted member 188533

The internet in general is a more pleasant place with adblockers. :) The combo of uBlock Origin and Ghostery in particular is quite effective.

Reactions: eoc69

manicm

Personally, I don't follow websites that charge money. Chrome browser is effective for me and I don't see many ads, certainly none that are obtrusive.

I often catch up on my light browsing on the couch in front of the telly with family, so I do it on the iPad, and the pop up videos and ads are highly irritating.

Wired magazine , for 2 years in a row, offered full access to their website- with all the articles you’ll find in print - for $5 a year. I would gladly pay WHF that just to have a pleasant experience on the iPad.

So I maintain the current experience is suboptimal - and the same on sister sites like Techradar.

Personally, I don't follow websites that charge money. Chrome browser is effective for me and I don't see many ads, certainly none that are obtrusive.
Maybe I should try that! Seriously, I do find this site on a newish iPad often crashes because the ads and videos make the page jump around, resizing, and the editorial is hard to follow.
I would be pretty sure that a less chaotic design would draw a larger number of readers and click-throughs, which is presumably where the revenue comes from.
And yes, the embarrassing advert dross about Singles Near You, and What Local Housewives found is beyond the pale.

Last edited:
Reactions: eoc69 and Al ears

Friesiansam

I‘ll categorically state that visiting the WHF or Techradar sites is not a pleasurable or pleasant experience anymore.
The problem with this site, Techradar and many others, is that they are now owned by Future PLC and therefore all suffer from the same ad and auto-playing-video related annoyances. These can be, mostly, dealt with by use of adblocking. Unfortunately their liking for speculative stories, based on little or nothing, can't be dealt with the same way. On the other hand, many of the publications now under the Future umbrella, would have gone the way of the Dodo without them.

Reactions: bigboss
D

Deleted member 188533

Should add that on Future sites Editorial ( the site content ) and Community ( the forums ) are separate entities. The Tom's Hardware Community team became the Future Community team when they bought us from Purch and the same happened when Purch bought Tom's from Best of Media group.

Future not only kept the Community team but they invested heavily in allowing Tom's to move from an old, proprietary forum software that was a broken mess to the same Xenforo platform we have here at What Hi-Fi. Not a small undertaking when you're talking about a forum with several million users.

I totally agree about the auto play videos and clickbait articles. But I use adblockers anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts