WHF Digital Edition?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Anymore news about a digtal editon? I saw talk a while back in Feb about it, I hoped there would be one by now.. http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/390027.aspx

I am in New Zealand and we receive the mag at the newsstands at least a month late, the airfrieghted editons are twice the price.. crazzy! So I stopped reading a while back, I kept hoped that a digital edition will surface and still do, would love to start reading WHF again especially the Awards version.

I have an iPAD that i imported and a app for iPad/iPhone would be perfect like Wired magazine does. Or what about delivering it through Zino, http://gb.zinio.com/index.jsp they have apps for iPad/iPhone and PC.

thanks

Jaidev

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yup, a digital edition and app are definitely on the agenda, but right now our focus is on getting the new Content Management System sorted and launched, hopefully (he says with fingers and toes crossed) in the next few weeks.

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Andy Clough: the new Content Management System

What's this? Is it going to make a big change to our online experience or just making things prettier 'under the hood'?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:TheHomeCinemaCentre:Good thinking,the Wired App is the benchmark to judge all others IMO. Really?

Well I certainly think it is very impressive. Easy to navigate and read.I am yet to see another mag or paper that comes across that well on screen. The Times and FT do a good job but Wired feels more like a complete package rather than a series of articles. If you have another suggestion of well executed text please let me know and I will give it a shot.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
SnowyJohn:

What's this? Is it going to make a big change to our online experience or just making things prettier 'under the hood'?

Mainly the latter, but there will be improved functionality on the Forums. Full details here.

John Duncan

Andy Clough:SnowyJohn:

Mainly the latter, but there will be improved functionality on the Forums. Full details here.

Certainly the latter in the first instance - in fact the brief was to make it look exactly the same, more or less. But the intention is that the new platform will give us more flexibility to do some interesting things with the website in the fullness of time...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ronald Archiebald:HCC have a digital copy of their award winners on their site which looks quite nice.

Ah, Havering Cricket Club - is there no stopping them?

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Ronald Archiebald:HCC have a digital copy of their award winners on their site which looks quite nice.

Ah, Havering Cricket Club - is there no stopping them?

Apparently not.

A

Anonymous

The Wired app is very pretty.but I find it a little hit and miss on the navigation front.

While Zinio is a good fallback, it feels little more than a nice jpg viewer! Personally, I think Time magazine is the benchmark so far. It feels less gimmiky than Wired but still manages to offer interactive content.

Now the 'iPad is here' I am trying to avoid buying physical magazines and books ( to reduce clutter aroound the house mainly ), and would gladly pay a subscription to a decent what hi fi digital edition.

I for one, am one of those people who realise I am paying for content and not paper!

-Rab

D

Deleted member 2457

I had a look at a home cinema title's digital magazine the other day, i am pretty sure they are asking a premium price for the previlege as well, why would anyone pay more to view a digital copy, than buy it in a shop?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gel:why would anyone pay more to view a digital copy, than buy it in a shop?

Because they...

- Don't want to have to travel to a shop to buy it

- Live somewhere where the shops only stock a limited range of magazines

- Would like to have the magazine as soon as possible

- Want to think they're saving the planet by not buying a paper magazine

- Live overseas and don't want to pay a fortune and/or wait for weeks to get copies of the magazine

- Want to show off their iPad to the one remaining friend they have they've not bored sick about it being the future of everything...

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:

gel:why would anyone pay more to view a digital copy, than buy it in a shop?

Because they...

- Don't want to have to travel to a shop to buy it

- Live somewhere where the shops only stock a limited range of magazines

- Would like to have the magazine as soon as possible

- Want to think they're saving the planet by not buying a paper magazine

- Live overseas and don't want to pay a fortune and/or wait for weeks to get copies of the magazine

- Want to show off their iPad to the one remaining friend they have they've not bored sick about it being the future of everything...

i guess it definetely has it's market then, i can't see me being interested at extra cost know. Although my collection of home cinema + what hi fi magazines is getting pretty big again and most of them are laying all over the house in one place or another at present
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

oh Andrew.that's a little hissy.

The iPad is clearly NOT the future of everything..but it is a breakthrough device and will probably define a new form factor for personal computing devices which will become the dominant form factor used by most people for browsing and consuming media. We await to see the response from Dell, HP etc.but I am sure that the light OS model espoused by iOS rather than a full blown Desktop OS is the way to go. I am amazed that Microsoft can't make more of the Zune OS.

On your points of paying 'more'? I don't see why that should be the case. Paying the same, certainly.but once the initial Rush is over I think the digital man will ultimately demand more for the big money than the analogue kid.

-Rab

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
covenant:oh Andrew.that's a little hissy.

Not even sure what that means...

covenant:The iPad is clearly NOT the future of everything..but it is a breakthrough device and will probably define a new form factor for personal computing devices which will become the dominant form factor...

Blah blah blah - 'breakthrough device', and 'form factor' twice, in the same sentence?

A

Anonymous

blah blah blah? blah 3 times in the same sentence..now thats lazy journalism! :)

What I mean't by 'breakthrough device' was that the tablet 'form factor' ( i.e. shape, size, packaging ) has been tried before, but that Apple have produced the first usable device in this area. Ok, my language was lazy and I repeated the same term ( for shame! ), my point stands however.

Anyway.I didn't want to pick a fight!

But I would buy a digital edition of What hi-fi..so make it so.

-Rab

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I wasn't commenting on laziness or journalistic quality, as I assume you're not a professional journalist, but pretentiousness. As you yourself said, 'form factor' just really means shape, so why not say so?

All we really needed in that post was 'paradigm shift' to complete the set.

Oh, and the use of the Star Trek quote at the end of your last post kind of confirms all my suspicions...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the update, I'll go back to not reading Whathifi.. I think Zino has a few will read those..

T

the record spot

And of course, that would be The Analog Kid. I think our covenant was referring to his slob-like British cousin.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Sounds familiar

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts