Where to go from here?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a modest budget hi-fi system which I'm mostly happy with. I've built it up over nine years as:
  • Tannoy mercury M1 speakers
  • Denon PMA-250SE stereo amp
  • Technics CD player (I can't remember the exact model)
  • Inherited Arcam Alpha CD player (no model markings, left at home)
  • Sony ST-SE370 tuner
  • Apple iPod 5G (video)
  • Sony SCD-XE597 SACD player
  • Soundstyle Z2 speaker stands
Most of my casual listening is done from the iPod. Eventually this will be replaced with a SqueezeBox or similar, streaming FLAC from a PC, but this is too costly at the moment. Otherwise, I listen to CDs and occasionally SACDs on the Sony.

In the meantime, I'd like to improve my system generally, bearing in mind that I'd like to add a turntable in the near future. The speaker stands are a recent addition, and they've dramatically improved the sound stage, but they've highlighted a harshness in the treble, and the bass is dulled somewhat. This improved slightly with some fiddling with the stands, but I wonder if this can be improved in the system.

The Denon doesn't have a phono-stage, so I've been thinking about buying a second-hand amp with a phono-stage to upgrade. Can anyone recommend some gems that I might be able to find for around £100 on eBay? Is this the best way to improve my system? The Tannoys are the oldest component, and I don't know how they compare to recent bookshelfs (except that they're bigger than budget speakers are now!).

Any advice is greatly appreciated
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I've just done some googling, and it certainly seems like a popular amp. Auctions on eBay up to £75 at the moment. For an ampt aht was ~£650, I guess that's more than a bargin!

Thanks for the tip. Any other suggestions guys?

A

Anonymous

I've done some more reading, and while the Audiolab's praises are highly sung, I'm worried about its transparency. I can't find personal fault with my Sony CDP as I have nothing to compare it to, but reviews I've read of it haven't been amazing. I'm concerned that the Audiolab will show up its faults.

How do you think it'll pair with the Arcam? How easy is the Audiolab matched to speakers?

A

Anonymous

your arcam is probably the first alpha model made and is still a fairly decent cd player and should work nicely with the audiolab, much better than the sony

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
The original Audiolab 8000A was only £299. Mine is 22 years old so you could be getting a secondhand one as old as that.

I've just demo'ed mine with some Monitor Audio Silver RS6s and B&W 685s and it sounded superb to me. So if you get a decent one you'll be happy. Might be an excuse to upgrade your speakers next ?

A

Anonymous

I've seen lots of contradicting indications on price, so sorry for misquoting that one. I've been following a few auctions on eBay, which have all ended around the £100 mark.

I've been home this weekend and now I've hooked up the Arcam CD player. What an improvement already! It's so much easier to listen to, I feel a lot happier about the system now. However, I've got an itch for the Audiolab after reading such praise.

I think I might sell some of the old kit to help fund the Audiolab. How much would someone be willing to pay for a Technics SL-PG490 and Denon PMA-250SE do you think?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Marantz PM66KI or Denon PMA355-UK. I'd go for the latter for reliability reasons. Marantz is sweeter more open, the Denon is more detailed with better bass. Both are an improvement over your 250 and can be found around your budget.

A

Anonymous

Not really ancient - only a few weeks, and certainly still useful. Thanks for your suggestions!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts