Where do you go to sell your unwanted equipment?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I've got my old Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR blu ray player just sitting in the cupboard doing nothing in the box and it seems like a waste to me so was wondering how you all go about selling your unwanted kit? I really don't want to sell this on eBay but if I have to I will but just wondered if any of you have any better suggestions of how to go about selling this? Many thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Cheers bigboss :cheers:

Have you had any experience with selling on either? Just wondering what the costs are for using them?

AV forums is free and hassle free. I have sold about 8 items on there now, all went well.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Oldboy said:

Have you had any experience with selling on either? Just wondering what the costs are for using them?

AV forums is free and hassle free. I have sold about 8 items on there now, all went well.

Excellent, thanks gel :cheers:

I've never sold any of my previous equipment to anyone other than friends before so this is all new to me which is why I'm asking for your advice, I don't like selling on eBay after a previous bad experience and just want to get a fair price with the minimum of hassle.

Any idea how I can find out what sort of price I should be charging for it? As you can see I'm a complete newbie at this sort of thing so excuse the questions if they seem ridiculous :oops:

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:
Oldboy said:

Excellent, thanks gel :cheers:

I've never sold any of my previous equipment to anyone other than friends before so this is all new to me which is why I'm asking for your advice, I don't like selling on eBay after a previous bad experience and just want to get a fair price with the minimum of hassle.

Any idea how I can find out what sort of price I should be charging for it? As you can see I'm a complete newbie at this sort of thing so excuse the questions if they seem ridiculous :oops:

No probs. On eBay you can do searches to see what price they are:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.XPanasonic+Blu-Ray+pl&_nkw=panasonic+blu-ray+player&_sacat=0&_from=R40

On AV you don't pay any fees at all, and you can use PayPal.

Here is where you can put it up for sell:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/dvd-blu-ray-player-classifieds.338/

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks gel :cheers:

Just signed up for AV forums and will put it up on there and see how it goes once I get the confirmation email. Will also use gumtree and hope that between the two I get a result before resorting to eBay.

buzz_lightclick

Oldboy said:

Just signed up for AV forums and will put it up on there and see how it goes once I get the confirmation email. Will also use gumtree and hope that between the two I get a result before resorting to eBay.

Just a word of warning not to advertise your items on AV Forums and Gumtree at the same time, as it is against the rules on AV Forums, and the mods may close your thread if you are found doing this and ulimately you could get a trading ban. It is worth reading through the rules before you post anything on there as they are quite strict.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you want the biggest audience then eBay and Gumtree are where it's at, probably in that order. AV Forums is good but it doesn't have nearly the throughput of daily visitors, even if you discount all the Gumtree and eBay vistors who aren't looking for HiFi gear.

I sold my old Cyrus 1 on eBay last year, It attracted 400+ views, 20-odd watchers, 18 bids and sold for £149, which I was happy with. Sure there's the fact that you can typically kiss goodbye to 10% of your sale-price in fees, but that's the cost of laying something for sale before a potential audience of 17 million visitors per month, and that's just in the UK alone.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
Oldboy said:

Just a word of warning not to advertise your items on AV Forums and Gumtree at the same time, as it is against the rules on AV Forums, and the mods may close your thread if you are found doing this and ulimately you could get a trading ban. It is worth reading through the rules before you post anything on there as they are quite strict.

Thanks for the warning, I won't make that mistake now. I've not advertised my player at all at yet but I'm hoping to get some photos of it today ready to sell it, think I will go the AV forum route first and hope I get some interest. If not then gumtree is plan b.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I found out that silly rule, IMHO, when I listed something on there and a car forum I was heavily involved with.

A guy on both grassed me up, yes how petty was that!

I asked for my AV account to be deleted and I never went on there again.

Also just a warning when selling stuff on forums, its the same as selling or buying out of the paper but if you pay or get payed with PayPal always opt to receive via Gift as if for example you sell a perfectly good item and they say its broken to PayPal, PayPal will always side with the buyer!

You could lose the item and the money, eBay may be expensive, |( , but you are a little better protected.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Paypal is smartening up to the whole paying via gift option, I believe it now charges? From my experience as an eBay seller for quite some years I can honestly tell you - the best way to deal with these items is to have cash on collection. People will be ok with that and willing to travel. The more expensive the item the more plausible it is to request such a thing.

You could also consider Amazon Market place....

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
buzz_lightclick said:
Oldboy said:

Thanks for the warning, I won't make that mistake now. I've not advertised my player at all at yet but I'm hoping to get some photos of it today ready to sell it, think I will go the AV forum route first and hope I get some interest. If not then gumtree is plan b.

I've succesfully sold on AV Forums completely hassle free, easiest way is before the sale is agreed (on the Forum for transparency). make sure you include your preferred payment method in your offer for sale.

I've always gone with bank transfer, works like this; sale agreed, move to private messaging, bank details given, transfer made, release/send goods on to buyer, really very simple

I've bought and sold high value and low value goods this way with no hiccups

Good luck

fayeanddavid said:
I've succesfully sold on AV Forums completely hassle free, easiest way is before the sale is agreed (on the Forum for transparency). make sure you include your preferred payment method in your offer for sale.

I've always gone with bank transfer, works like this; sale agreed, move to private messaging, bank details given, transfer made, release/send goods on to buyer, really very simple

Good luck

Not sure anybody there will trust a bank transfer to pay a first poster on AV Forums.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
fayeanddavid said:

Good luck

Not sure anybody there will trust a bank transfer to pay a first poster on AV Forums.

BB

Possibly, they have good systems in place and an active complaints/review system

Point is, you've got to start somewhere I guess, Catch 22

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts