admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys why is it that despite the massive reductions in televisions,
dvd players, dvd recorders etc, that seperates have not seen such price
reductions and secondly where can i buy end of line clearance hi fi
seperates?. It's so frustrating because once the new model comes out
you are having to pay full price again.

I know you can buy second hand but i would prefer the confidence of buying something new

Thanks
emotion-2.gif
in advance

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's a little-known fact that hi-fi separates (which include speakers and speaker packages) are exempt from EU regulation preventing RRPs - in other words, manufacturers and retailers are allowed to charge an RRP for them, which is why you see so little price variation on core hi-fi kit.

In terms of end-of-line discounts, keep an eye on our news pages for stories about forthcoming new products: if one of the major manufacturers has a new model due out in a few months' time, you'll typically start to see reductions on existing stock.

Also, manufacturers often sell end-of-line stock to certain retailers as a batch deal, so the reductions may not be available in every stockist. Again, our Hot Deals section on this Forum tends to carry news on the best deals to be had, as if we or others spot a good offer then we'll pass it on,

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My local Audio-T have not seen the 'recession' yet. They are busier now than for many years (mostly v expensive home cinema systems and their core Naim business). No discounts and very little in the way of ex-dem 'bargains' to be had.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
It's a little-known fact that hi-fi separates (which include speakers and speaker packages) are exempt from EU regulation preventing RRPs - in other words, manufacturers and retailers are allowed to charge an RRP for them, which is why you see so little price variation on core hi-fi kit.

In terms of end-of-line discounts, keep an eye on our news pages for stories about forthcoming new products: if one of the major manufacturers has a new model due out in a few months' time, you'll typically start to see reductions on existing stock.

Also, manufacturers often sell end-of-line stock to certain retailers as a batch deal, so the reductions may not be available in every stockist. Again, our Hot Deals section on this Forum tends to carry news on the best deals to be had, as if we or others spot a good offer then we'll pass it on,

could you spell that out a bit more for the hard of thinking among us? RRP? Do you mean reccommended retail price? If so, are'nt all manufacturers and retailers allowed to charge an RRP? Surely not letting them do so would lead to the totally false impression you're getting something cheaper than the rrp, and many places advertise products in that way too.

confused.

Are'nt there other differences with hifi kit to, relating to the sales of goods act or somesuch?

i think someone should start an explanatory thread.

go on.

you know you want to.

A

Anonymous

Ask for a discount - I recently asked for one and was told 10% off a £1k CD player - which I will use to try and get a further discount elsewhere. All worth asking for really.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Claire and to respond to the question about rrp, typically it's illegal because competition is encouraged, selling at the rrp creates price fixing which is bad for the consumer.

A

Anonymous

bargains? look at gumtree in four hours on hi-fi....

A

Anonymous

al7478:

confused.

Are'nt there other differences with hifi kit to, relating to the sales of goods act or somesuch?

go on.

you know you want to.

Thread started over in Off Topic. Have fun!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Gary Mardell:al7478:

confused.

go on.

you know you want to.

Thread started over in Off Topic. Have fun!

Blimey! How's that for service?! Thanks!

And thanks hi fi newbie.

A

Anonymous

just look at Arcams end-of-line products for real bargains. Amps, CDPs, and DVD players all reduced to less than half their orignal shelf price!

T

the record spot

hi fi newbie:
Hi guys why is it that despite the massive reductions in televisions,
dvd players, dvd recorders etc, that seperates have not seen such price
reductions and secondly where can i buy end of line clearance hi fi
seperates?. It's so frustrating because once the new model comes out
you are having to pay full price again.

I know you can buy second hand but i would prefer the confidence of buying something new

Thanks
emotion-2.gif
in advance

Depends on how you shop around online to get an idea of what is out there. Cyrus dealers have to lower their prices on Cyrus stock ahead of new lines coming out, hence why there's a regular sale every 18 months (or so) with a couple of hundred quid or more - the CD8x had £500 off at Glasgow Audio so you could've had it for £550.

I tend to avoid the big online sites, but do look out for the independent dealers offers, which are often very attractive. Lintone Audio, Glasgow Audio, Holburn Hifi in Aberdeen, Loud and Clear in Edinburgh, etc., etc., all do good offers on both new and used stock.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:Ask for a discount - I recently asked for one and was told 10% off a £1k CD player - which I will use to try and get a further doiscount elsewhere. All worth asking for really.

Well ... na, I could'nt possibly ... best stay out of this ...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
Graham_Thomas:Ask for a discount - I recently asked for one and was told 10% off a £1k CD player - which I will use to try and get a further doiscount elsewhere. All worth asking for really.

emotion-1.gif

If you don't ask, you don't get!

matthewpiano

drummerman:

emotion-1.gif

Me too pal!!

Seriously, of course you should ask for discount. Just don't be offended if they say no.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:drummerman:

emotion-1.gif

Me too pal!!

Seriously, of course you should ask for discount. Just don't be offended if they say no.

Exactly, just leave and try elsewhere.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts