Where’s my bass?

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hello

I have purchased a Teac CR-H255 micro and Mission M32i speakers for the bedroom – they do sound great but the bass is lacking somewhat I don’t feel the extension on drum n bass and dance tracks

I went with the Missions after reading the what Hi Fi review and thought they would be great for the music I listen to

I’ve heard that people say bookshelf speakers are good but this has made me think – I feel let down and they are on good speaker stands as well

Do I need a subwoofer?

I miss my MS 906i’s and I thought they were lacking in the bass department but I want them back now as these are worse

The bass is set at +6 but still not that impressed at all!

Someone help

A

Anonymous

Bookshelf speakers are good, but you haven't chose speakers for the music you like, you've gone from floorstanders (I think) to stand mounters so you are goes to notice less bass, the Missions only measure down to 52Hz, which means no bass anyway, and the MS go down to 45Hz, which is just starting to get into the deeper bass regions, the mission just wont achieve what you want, you can't break the laws of physics, small boxes with small drivers won't do deep bass.

A

Anonymous

Make sure phase is right. Try to reverse wires on the terminals of one speaker (+/-)

T

the record spot

Does the speaker have good feedback when it comes to bass performance? Likewise, does the Teac? What is the sonic characteristic of your speaker cable; neutral, bright but flat, or bassy? Before dumping the speaker, talk to a dealer and see if they can do a home loan of some speaker cable. Might save you good cash in the end.

I just swapped my interconnect on my CD player from van den hul "The Name" to Nordost Blue Heaven and bass Inever thought I'd hear is ringing out loud and clear (and deep). Worth a shot for speaker cable too maybe...?

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Thank you I will change speaker cable

They are close to the backwall I tried all sorts and that is the best yet

I know they are only small boxes so I will buy a sub that drops low in the Hz department

A

Anonymous

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Minotaur.htm

Great value sub just the job!

A

Anonymous

sub is the only answer. that or change speakers again. they just dont have the cone area to shift the amount of air required for bass driven music.

Nadeac

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
It is what it is ,u are never going to get lots of bass from that small TEAC unit with bookshelf speakers , i have the Teac 300 with 1010is .Dont get me wrong it sounds well{better than any micro hifi u will pickup in currys etc} and is ideal for someone who isnt really interested in hifi ,but wants something small and neat

If it like my 300 theres a bass output socket on the back ,i would suggest u buy a subwoofer and connect it to that ,im no expert but i would say that would give a totally different sound

Its either that or bigger speakers ,its a catch 22 situation u either have a sub with two small speakers or or two big speakers ,even with two bigger speakers u want get the same sound as u would with a full size seperate amp

With the 1010is i have theres a dramatic improvement in sound when i connect them to my NAD amp as opposed to the TEAC unit in bass ,mid and treble as well as much more volume

Mark

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
I was expecting too much I think

I have to keep the speakers due to space but I'll buy a subwoofer - what do people think of the Wharfedale SW150, EPOS ELS or Mission E3ASR?

I've only got up to £200 to spend on it or should I look at a cheaper sub that would do the job just as good?

Thank you

A

Anonymous

Try and find a used Rel... Failing that, (subs seem to be a very contentious topic 'round here mind you) the Wharfey subs seem to do best to me.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Q Bass:
I was expecting too much I think

I have to keep the speakers due to space but I'll buy a subwoofer - what do people think of the Wharfedale SW150, EPOS ELS or Mission E3ASR?

I've only got up to £200 to spend on it or should I look at a cheaper sub that would do the job just as good?

Thank you

I think you'd be crazy to spend 200 quid on a sub with your system, no offense. I'd sell the micro and buy something such as Nad's entry level amp and player. Alternatively look for a cheaper sub. MJ Acoustics original Pro50 is sometimes available under different guises such as Ruark Vita 50 on ebay for £120 or so new. A very good sub. Spend the rest on music.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Cheers everyone I'm learning fast but it's costing me! - I just wanted an all in one unit for the bedroom as I have a proper set up in the living room

I'll see if I can put floorstanders in the space but I'm not sure so I'll keep looking for a cheap sub for now

Thank you again and if anyone has any other suggestions please add them

p.s. I miss my Technics system it had plenty of power only if they made it with DAB I would have never got rid

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
I only have 75cm to play with and all the speakers are taller than that - does anyone know of any floorstanding speakers that are only 75cm tall?

If not a sub it is

Thank you

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Olli1324:Rega R3s are 748mm tall... Can you squeeze an extra 3 millimetres?

Rega's with a Teac micro?
emotion-2.gif

Don't bother but perhaps go to RS, they seem to have a number of cheap subs there starting at 60 quid or so, I'm sure one will sound fine with your teac.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
I like the idea of the R3's but I think I'll just have to add a sub it's easier and cheaper too

I have found two, the Tannoy EFX and the Yamaha YST-SW150 - would either of these do the job?

The EFX only drops to 45Hz but I don't know about the other one

Thank you

A

Anonymous

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Minotaur.htm

Follow the link!

A

Anonymous

low enough, its basicaly the same as the mj pro50mk1 that was a 5 star winner at £350 a couple of years ago! MJ claimed 18hz for the pro50 although id take it with a pinch.

TRENDING THREADS