When will WHF get a Nexus 5 in for review?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
spiny norman said:
gel said:
[EDITED BY MODS - please do not attack other members]

Language, Timothy – and they're spines, not EDITEDs

gel said:
if you don't like the reviews on here do one!

I'm not sure they'd let me do a review, Dave...

To be fair to Gel (I've no idea what he said though) it wasn't the smartest thing you've ever said...

:)

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
spiny norman said:
The_Lhc said:
But you'd still vote for them not to bother doing a review.

Only if they can't do it as well, as comprehensively and in as timely a fashion as all the other sources of such reviews out there.

If you are slating WHFS&V, why are you here ???

Well said mate. :clap:

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
simonlewis said:

It's hardly a slating; rather it's a criticism, borne out of many years of reading the magazine, and seeing the standard of the reviews slip almost as fast as the magazine has endeavoured to reinvent itself from a hi-fi (and latterly home cinema) title to the self-proclaimed arbiter of all things 'tech' (whatever TF that means).

I'm just making the point that the world has changed, and we all expect reviews to be available as soon as the product is launched, and to be comprehensive, in-depth and well-informed, rather than short and driven by a monthly timetable. If WHSV can't deliver that, there are plenty of other sources, both professional and enthusiast-run, able to.

Why am I here? I find the forums enjoyable, challenging, sometimes infuriating and often thought-provoking. The rest of the website should be to the same standard, IMNSHO

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
simonlewis said:

It's hardly a slating; rather it's a criticism, borne out of many years of reading the magazine, and seeing the standard of the reviews slip almost as fast as the magazine has endeavoured to reinvent itself from a hi-fi (and latterly home cinema) title to the self-proclaimed arbiter of all things 'tech' (whatever TF that means).

I don't think they're quite that bad, they wouldn't be allowed to be that bad as they'd then be overlapping with their sister title, Stuff, which is a "tech" magazine. I stopped reading Stuff when they started reviewing football boots. That's not "tech", it's sportswear. I've not seen an equivalent happen in WHF.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I don't think they're quite that bad, they wouldn't be allowed to be that bad as they'd then be overlapping with their sister title, Stuff, which is a "tech" magazine. I stopped reading Stuff when they started reviewing football boots. That's not "tech", it's sportswear. I've not seen an equivalent happen in WHF.

Are you sure? The two seem to be growing ever closer to the point where one might wonder when they are going to merge. And I think the cover of the Awards issue (or the January 2014 issue as this site would have it) sort of says it all about where WHSV sees itself now, doesn't it?

AWARDS_COVER.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yes but WHF still only review stuff that has an AV connection (and phones are included, I listen to more music through my phone than anything else and even at home I'm using the phone to control my other systems, so I consider that relevant). Stuff's brief is much, much wider than that.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Andy Madden said:
Hi all, we have a Nexus 5 in the building and it's in the hands of the review team. Hopefully we'll get our review online by the end of the week, so please stay tuned! And don't worry, we'll be bring you our thoughts on sound quality, picture quality, and everything in-between!

Thanks Andy, after reading the mixed reception up to now I'm looking forward to the WHF review.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Oldboy. Rest assured we find it just as frustrating when we can't get our hands on the kit first, but thankfully, these cases are few and far between. People are consuming conent in more ways than ever and a smartphone is just one of those. And, picture and sound quality are still as relevant to these devices as they are to a television, both of whch we cover in great detail.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Andy Madden said:
Thanks Oldboy. Rest assured we find it just as frustrating when we can't get our hands on the kit first, but thankfully, these cases are few and far between. People are consuming conent in more ways than ever and a smartphone is just one of those. And, picture and sound quality are still as relevant to these devices as they are to a television, both of whch we cover in great detail.

I can wait patiently for the WHF review as I do tend to respect your reviews more than other publications/sites. The difference with WHF is that you concentrate more on the picture and sound quality which others seem to just breeze over, there are plenty of reviews out there about how the Nexus 5 performs as a phone but not so many that cover sound and picture quality.

As I would use it for listening to a lot of music and for watching movies and TV shows then those two aspects are more important to me than how it performs as a phone, yes call quality and ease of use are important to me but not as much as how my music sounds and how my content looks on the screen. Really looking forward to your views as always.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
spiny norman said:
The_Lhc said:

Are you sure? The two seem to be growing ever closer to the point where one might wonder when they are going to merge. And I think the cover of the Awards issue (or the January 2014 issue as this site would have it) sort of says it all about where WHSV sees itself now, doesn't it?

AWARDS_COVER.jpg

Yes, that cover was a departure from our Awards covers in previous years. And happens to have been the best selling issue of the magazine this year. By a mile. Just saying
smiley-wink.gif

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Yes, that cover was a departure from our Awards covers in previous years. And happens to have been the best selling issue of the magazine this year. By a mile. Just saying
smiley-wink.gif

So presumably further departure is planned? But then one would assume that the January 2014 issue is always one of the year's best-sellers?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
After the very positive review by WHF and after finding out that Google intend on fixing the camera issues post release via an update I've gone ahead and ordered a Nexus 5, now it's a 3-4 week wait for it to arrive sadly and they took the money straight away but if I remember correctly it was the same when I bought my Nexus 4 and it stops me from spending it anyway so no big deal. £9.99 delivery charge still seems a bit strong to me when you consider the size of the phone though.

daveh75

Oldboy said:
After the very positive review by WHF and after finding out that Google intend on fixing the camera issues post release via an update I've gone ahead and ordered a Nexus 5, now it's a 3-4 week wait for it to arrive sadly and they took the money straight away but if I remember correctly it was the same when I bought my Nexus 4 and it stops me from spending it anyway so no big deal. £9.99 delivery charge still seems a bit strong to me when you consider the size of the phone though.

They don't actually take the funds when you pre-order, they request them from your bank to make sure your card is valid/you have the funds and they will disappear from your account, but they won't actually complete the transaction so will reappear in your account after a few days (depending how slow your bank is). Then re-request when it ships.

At least that's the way it worked when I pre-ordered the original Nexus 7.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts