When was the last time WHFI reviewed pre/power amps?

Answer: September 2007.

The only reason why I mention it is because how many of those amps would stack up against modern integrateds?

Tested:

Cyrus pre vs2, 8 power amp and PSX-R power supply.

Myryad MXP2000 preamp & MXA2150 power

Naim NAC122x preamp & NAP150X

Quad 99 preamp & 909 power

Roksan Caspian M series pre/power

The Cyrus combo won the test but oddly they recommended this with Wilson Benesch Square One speakers.

I heard the Roksan combo at Unilet many moons ago with WB Arcs (I think). Rockin good set-up IMHO.

Interesting read.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
That's why I put "The Cyrus combo won the test but oddly they recommended this with Wilson Benesch Square One speakers".

Yeah, I went from the title ...

"When was the last time WHFI reviewed pre/power amps?"

Sorry. i'm out. You need some saddo with a complete collection of magazines (and a lot of spare time) to look for the Group Tests. as they aren't featured in the website reviews and thus aren't searchable.

No saddo. Yesterday I took a box from the loft and they contained a lot of old WHFI mags (as Fridays and Mondays are generally quiet days with work, especially during school holidays) and I came across this one. Had a number of newer mags and looked at one for 2010 and it tells you whether it had a 'First Test or a Group test ( with the suffix FT or GT).

Looked at newer random ones (up until 2014) and they was no indication of a pre/power Group Test.

A lot of my early mags have now been chucked.

BTW, haven't purchased a WHFI mag for around a year.

Native_bon said:
It may well be the case many do not see the need for pre/power any more, when you can get really good sound quality from one box amps.

Yeah, it seems that way. I also believe (generalising) that people don't want a room cluttered with various hi-fi boxes.

Before buying the Leema I was tempted by adding a power amp to the A65, but the wife wouldn't have it: "No additional boxes." was her line and she's been consistant ever since.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts