When does the new Xbox and PlayStation 5 come out?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

What are you watching?
I was flicking between gaming, YouTube and Blu-ray. I have now setup my CA 4K player again and got it working and just connected the XBox to the TV and listening through the amp on optical cable again. I have 4K again and 120hz for gaming now.

D

Deleted member 2457

Any ideas why I couldn’t get it to work? Would’ve and keeping my new sound bar improve things?

buzz_lightclick

Bitstream for gaming is limited to Dolby Digital or DTS on the Xbox. Not lossless. So when set to BITSREAM you are actually not getting full HD sound.

Compare with PCM (which is lossless HD audio) and see if you notice a difference.
When you select PCM the Xbox is decoding the audio, not the av receiver. Yes I realise that it’s “lossless” audio.
However, When I select bitstream, and “let my receiver decode the audio”, then I get either Dolby Digital or DTS sound, depending on the game I’m playing, and this sounds better than PCM to me.
I guess the trickery in the amp is enough to improve the sound, I do have various other audio parameter options on the amp selected too that boost the audio.

According to this optical cable to the amp is the only option:

I guess you need a 2.1 HDMI amp.
When you select PCM the Xbox is decoding the audio, not the av receiver. Yes I realise that it’s “lossless” audio.
However, When I select bitstream, and “let my receiver decode the audio”, then I get either Dolby Digital or DTS sound, depending on the game I’m playing, and this sounds better than PCM to me.
I guess the trickery in the amp is enough to improve the sound, I do have various other audio parameter options on the amp selected too that boost the audio.
Dolby and DTS are lossy audio codecs so information is lost. Logically, bitstream is always the preferred option, but with game consoles, bitstream actually downscales the audio codec quality. If it was just bitstream without having to opt for Dolby or DTS, that's the best option. Otherwise, PCM is the one to go for, which retains lossless HD audio.

D

Deleted member 2457

Should be in the output of the amp, then change your TV's settings for audio via HDMI.
Still no luck and it seems to be reverting to stereo in the audio settings although I do select DTS or PCM. Are you sure HDMI settings through the TV sound is right? I don’t know what’s going on.

D

Deleted member 2457

What about this sound bar I have turning up today do I keep that?

D

Deleted member 2457

I thought you cancelled it
I was not going to accept delivery and get a refund it was turning up Friday but going delayed in transit same thing happened on Sat but I think it will come today.

D

Deleted member 2457

So I can do it on my soundbar because that’s got ARC/EARC.

D

Deleted member 2457

No delivery slot for today even though they say it will be delivered today! Had to email Currys now, I paid to have it delivered on Friday!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts