When does an old cartridge start damaging the vinyl?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I have an old Beogram TX2 tt with a cartridge (MMC4) that I bought in 1989. The tt has not been used extensively, but as of late the cartridge has started making a hell of a scratch noise when its lowered onto the vinyl (and when lifted). It still seems to have an okay sound quality though when playing, but could the high scratch noise somehow be a sign of wear?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I will. I was just wondering whether the noise when lowering or lifting the cartridge from the vinyl was a common sign of cartridge wear. I have listened to new tt's where you almost can't hear the cartridge being lowered onto the vinyl, and my tt didn't do it to begin with.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
If possible, take the tip off the cartridge and have a good look at it through a magnifying glass.

But remember, some tips are rounded, others are pointed,... Check what the tip should look likefirst, and if there are any irregularities, replace it.

I wouldn't bother examining the stylus just go and buy a new cartridge.

If it's been on the TT that long, whether it has had hard usage or not, then the suspension is probably shot by now.

Recheck the tracking weight when you have fitted the new one.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What type of cartridges does the TT take (ie what fiting is it)? I Googled it and it looks a bit like a Technics T4P plug-in cartridge but without the bolt-hole. If they're particularly scarce or model-specific you'd probably be better off buying a different turntable that at least accepts regular cartridges.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Well like most of B&O's equipment from the 80's they made sure that only their own accesories worked, so I don't think any other cartridge brands will work. Soundsmith are licensed by B&O.

I will buy a new turntable though. But, I am so gonna miss the TX 2's ease of use. And actually also great sound.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you want a decent automatic turntable from the same era which at least accepts cartridges and stili you can still buy without having to remortgage the house, then you can do worse than hunt-down a well-maintained Technics SL-7 or SL-10. They have a linear tracking arm just like your B&O but accept plug-in T4P 'p-mount' cartridges. I always fancied an SL-7 or an SL-10 myself, but I can't justify the purchase when I already have a Thorens TD160 and a Technics SL-6 (with a p-mount Ortofon OM-10 in it) gathering dust.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts