What's the worst bit of hifi kit you have purchased

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Don't know about volume, but the VdH speaker cable I had tried to turn all bass notes into the same one, at least on certain tracks.

I liked VD's CS122. It was the the facto cable my local dealer used in most of their systems which included sensible and not so sensible ones.

They carried others incl Chord.

I did not have any issues with the VdH.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I liked VD's CS122. It was the the facto cable my local dealer used in most of their systems which included sensible and not so sensible ones.

They carried others incl Chord.

I did not have any issues with the VdH.
I was asking about the VdH because the internal wiring of my Dynaudio speakers is VdH CS-12 hf. The CS-122 is the twin version of that same wire. So i thought it was logical for me to have the same speaker cable as they are internally.
That said i read good things about the unexpensive Supra ply 3.4s. It has a ground wire to connect to the ground connection of an amplifier. It should really make a difference. Keeping the VdH or change it to the Supra, don't know what would be the best thing to do.

gasolin

Wharfedale diamond 220 because it was lacking bass, the midrange sounded strange and very dark sounding, comfortable to listen to but to soft,boring

Dali concept and zensor 1 to much high and fattigue sounding, couldn't tame the highs, lacked a little midbass

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I think they did a similar thing with the Zen Blue, although that was more the connection sometimes being les than robust. The software update fixed that. Might be the same with the Stream?
A bad batch i think. Didn't have the chance to do an update as it would not connect to the internet in the first place. I could get into the menu of the device and connected a usb stick with music on and it didn't read most of the files also.

Last edited:

robdmarsh

Mine were Dali Zensor 3 or Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers. It's probably a tie, they were both equally dreadful in my system. The Dali sounded like they had been tuned by a bass obsessed 14 year old, and the Wharfedale had the most mechanical uninteresting sound I've heard from a well-respected speaker manufacturer.

AJM1981

I mentioned the Tannoy M1 before but that was just a boring speaker.

I think I might place the Magnat Motion Sub 25a above it on the list. It was a time when subs for audio were less of a thing in Europe and they just started to be a thing for films.

It is mediocre and has a volume button.. that's it.

A world apart from modern subs which are far better in configuration and sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts