Whats the difference between normal speaker cable and biwire speaker cable ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]Get a demo" is an easiest way to answer in the forum but sometime it's not that easy in practice.....and I have a flu [crying icon here][/quote]

I am afraid there is no answer to that. If you have already purchased the cable before checking then the damage is done (unless you can sell the cable with no loss-which is unlikely ). As you know Thaiman, Hifi is one of the most subjective pastimes. Equipment sounds different, we all hear differently, we all like different music, we listen at different levels, we listen in different environments, the list goes on and on... There is very little common ground ( which is where ZHR mostly came from (when he wasn't getting mired in scientific dogma)) ie very few reference points that we can use when assessing a piece of equipment, cable or sound such that someone else can also use as an absolute. "Get a demo" is not only the easiest way but it is the only sensible way of really assessing (absolutely within your own context) something you will spend your hard earned cash and then be happy to live with the consequences. Getting opinions/ reading mags like What hifi are only guides to point you in the right general direction. At the end of the day it your money. Do you get something because someone told you to or do you get it because you like it. Would you buy a car before trying it?

As for the flu, I hope you get well soon.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"]

[quote user="Thaiman"]Get a demo" is an easiest way to answer in the forum but sometime it's not that easy in practice.....and I have a flu [crying icon here][/quote]

I am afraid there is no answer to that. If you have already purchased the cable before checking then the damage is done (unless you can sell the cable with no loss-which is unlikely ). As you know Thaiman, Hifi is one of the most subjective pastimes. Equipment sounds different, we all hear differently, we all like different music, we listen at different levels, we listen in different environments, the list goes on and on... There is very little common ground ( which is where ZHR mostly came from (when he wasn't getting mired in scientific dogma)) ie very few reference points that we can use when assessing a piece of equipment, cable or sound such that someone else can also use as an absolute. "Get a demo" is not only the easiest way but it is the only sensible way of really assessing (absolutely within your own context) something you will spend your hard earned cash and then be happy to live with the consequences. Getting opinions/ reading mags like What hifi are only guides to point you in the right general direction. At the end of the day it your money. Do you get something because someone told you to or do you get it because you like it. Would you buy a car before trying it?

As for the flu, I hope you get well soon.

[/quote]

If none of the shops stock an appropriate variety of brands, or the model no.'s you're after, then they have to order it in. If they order it in, you've bought it. There's no option to demo. That's why any comments or opinions on what different cables 'sound like' would be appreciated.

It might be easy for you living in the U.K, where stores stock a wide variety of equipment and accessory brands, and you can easily demo whatever you want to hear and compare. But if you're somewhere else in the world then it's not so simple. For example the largest chain of dedicated Hi Fi stores in N.Z - "Eastern HiFi" - stocks ONE brand of speaker cable, that's right, just ONE. (audioquest, which isn't even reviewed in What Hifi). They have just taken over from another hifi store that stocked other brands.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Captain Destructo"]That's why any comments or opinions on what different cables 'sound like' would be appreciated. [/quote]

I understand the dilemma, being disabled its not easy for me to travel to the shops. People need to be aware that when people make comments about the performance of a cable this must be taken with the proviso that your own sense of hearing/preferences/equipment and listening environment are different to the reviewers. If you are happy to accept that and live with it then there is no problem however if you find that you have spent a lot of money on a highly recommended cable and find you don't like the changes to the sound or you cant hear any difference then what do you do? I have bought cable in the past purely on recommendation (DMN solid core) and I didn't like it. In all likely hood there was nothing wrong with the cable but in my setup it was wrong.

I you are happy with the risk then fine, if you are not then there is no answer (other then a demo).

A

Anonymous

Biwire cable is arranged to stop cross interference, i.e. the low end pair interfering with the top end pair.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Surely the only way to be certain of a difference in sound is by demo at home (that's where your speakers will be) with the cables you want to test and by switching them at short intervals. The guy who changes after a few months and can notice a great difference must have amazing ears because surely you cannot remember exactly how something sounds in the past. I'm not bothering with biwire.

A

Anonymous

Don't bi-wire, just change the jumper between speaker binding posts to strands of whatever speaker wire you're using. That's the best gain in such an arena.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
IMO and experience bi wiring made a large difference with all the speakers (bi wired) I tried. Also you can tailor the sound by careful choice of which cables you use for the treble and which you use for the bass. Using a jumper to me just made a sound which had a looser bass,harder treble and a loss of sound stage depth and space.

You should try it out for yourself with some cheap cable and if you can hear a difference then invest in better cables that can exploit the fact you can tailor the sound.

A

Anonymous

Each to their own. I'm sure different speakers will yield different results.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
My Amphion only have one set of terminal so can't biwire anyway but I think (now a day) that some speakers are mend to be biwire and some have 2 set of terminals so they can look like a top audio products.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts