WHATS THE BEST CAPACITORS FOR (PSU)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,OK I'm up-gradeing my 20yr old J.D.I- PRE-AMP+PSU, I'm looking to install some NEW smoothing Capacitors in to my (PSU) tp supply power to my PRE-AMP. I've been told to look at MUNDORF AG/AG+, RUBYCON ZL/ZLG, + JENSON 4-POLE'S (CAP'S) The MUNDORF'S seem very expensive The MUNDORF AG+(4-POLE) start at £15.00??? APX,<br>So which is best??? for using in a power supply unit? + are the MUNDORF AG+ worth the money??? OR has anyone got experence of this install + what other CAP'S should i consider???.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Whatever you get make sure that they fit physically. Once you start adding leads etc to a cap then apart from it looking a bodge job it also destroys the very properties you are looking to improve.

Personally I am not a fan of boutique parts and would stick to good quality commercial parts of low E.S.R. and 105C temperature rating.

A

Anonymous

What do you mean by boutique parts??? looking at the CAPS i've listed they are all low ESR???,

as long as thr ratings are the same what harm can it do, surly better quality CAPS will sound better NO???,

or i'm i barking up the wrong tree???

A

Anonymous

What do you mean by boutique parts??? looking at the CAPS i've listed they are all low ESR???+ are all commercially available

as long as thr ratings are the same what harm can it do, surly better quality CAPS will sound better NO???,

or i'm i barking up the wrong tree???

A

Anonymous

popmaster109 said:
Hello,OK I'm up-gradeing my 20yr old J.D.I- PRE-AMP+PSU, I'm looking to install some NEW smoothing Capacitors in to my (PSU) tp supply power to my PRE-AMP. I've been told to look at MUNDORF AG/AG+, RUBYCON ZL/ZLG, + JENSON 4-POLE'S (CAP'S) The MUNDORF'S seem very expensive The MUNDORF AG+(4-POLE) start at £15.00??? APX,<br>So which is best??? for using in a power supply unit? + are the MUNDORF AG+ worth the money??? OR has anyone got experence of this install + what other CAP'S should i consider???.

At the risk of being censored (again) this question is best for a forum like diy(no space)audio . com - you will get all the diy help and expertise you could wish for there. Some decent low ESR caps would improve the sound, just check the rectifier is up to the job of powering them up as their dynamic resistance will be lower.

If you have space polypropylene caps are far better than electrolytic, but despite 20 years of advance in capacitor design modern polys are still bigger than old electros!

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Boutique parts generally = parts with an outrageous price tag :)

Notice I said "I personally" wouldn't use them. You may feel they are worthwhile and if you believe they are better then you will hear them as better...

There are perfectly good parts from major manufacturers for a fraction of the cost of Mundorfs etc.

A

Anonymous

Rubycon is good, as are all the big brands.

Sanyo os-con are probably the best.

Ignore audio hype over capacitors, proper makes and using the best types (types, not makes) make the difference.

A

Anonymous

Sorry if i've posted to the wrong section or the wrong forum??? you mention polypropylene caps are better then,

electrolytic caps???, what type+makes would you recommend??? OR what type of electrolytic is most suitable???

Thanks for your advise

A

Anonymous

Hi sorry about my reply I've not up-graded up to now so its all new for me!!!

you mention other manufactors who+what type/make would you recommend???

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Mooly said:
Whatever you get make sure that they fit physically. Once you start adding leads etc to a cap then apart from it looking a bodge job it also destroys the very properties you are looking to improve.

Personally I am not a fan of boutique parts and would stick to good quality commercial parts of low E.S.R. and 105C temperature rating.

Absolutely spot-on advice. There is a lot of Voodoo put about with HiFi which is unsubstantiated bull that sucks certain gullible people into spending vast amounts of money on dubious accessories!

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Globs said:
At the risk of being censored (again) ....

Oh I managed to miss that! A forum run by a magazine is going to be far from impartial - especially when certain left-field participants start challenging the preciously held beliefs that most magazine propagate regarding spending disproportionate amounts on cables & accessories or the equipment itself!

A

Anonymous

busb said:
Oh I managed to miss that! A forum run by a magazine is going to be far from impartial - especially

Actually it was a simple link to the diy(no space)audio tube amp forum that was censored, I have no idea why as the poster's question I was trying to answer was more diy than anything else so I was (trying to) suggest they posted their question there.

Maybe the expansion of the diy scene and the contraction of the commercial scene gives cause for concern.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts