what would you do?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
I think you could do a lot worse than reach out to Terry Ellis from pursuit perfect system, he used to be a regular on the forum and has his own YouTube channel these days and has come across some very exotic equipment l, he is also very well versed in the Dirac live software suit and has very good knowledge of room treatment products and installation. I know he does offer a service for this type of problem and could also steer you in the right direction re electronics.
View: https://youtu.be/TIGoZ4Aex_w
i have seen some of videos in the past but thanks for the advice.

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
hello, i am new here and am now suffering from upgradeITUS.
my amp and speakers are £60k in total but my sources are less - £10k, £6k and £4k for the cd player / dac , turntable and streamer.
so do I upgrade the dac / transport to the £30 k mark eg a dcs rossini / ch precision or do I keep what I have and save for a rainy day?
I spend most time listening to cds, then vinyl, then streaming (hard drive or Tidal).
i guess the question is, will i get more out of my amp/speakers if I upgrade the sources.

Your source components is where the sound starts, so the short answer is yes.
Not sure why you settled on dCS for digital anything as there are better digital source components than dCS in terms of sonics for far less money.

The best digital these days is either with a DAC or a digital streamer/DAC, no transport. No CD/SACD player, whether a one box solution or as a separate DAC/transport, can compete sonically with hi-rez downloaded files.

If you have hi-rez files on a laptop/tablet then maybe check out this:

Linn's current Klimax DSM music streamer is also quite excellent but not quite to the level of the Soulution DAC.

Just my opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrSinghsStereo

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
An update on my original post, I have taken the plunge on the dCS Rossini Player Apex which should be delivered to me by the end of Jan 2023. Its been a little bit of a madcap journey - having opted for the nagra dac which sadly had a fault and then taking a punt on the dCS Bartok plus Rossini clock , removing the Aurender N20 streamer and being disappointed by the Luxman D10X cd player.... but now i am set on the dcs solution and the box count will be reduced by 3 which has made mrs singh very happy. once I take delivery and run it in I will explore some wife friendly room treatments which hopefully will make a subtle difference, allbeit I tend to listen near field taking the room out of the equation. oh and lastly, i managed to bag the limited edition Audio Technica sound burger which is a lot of fun!

Reactions: Dom and Gonepostal

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
Good luck and have a good time, mate. (y) :cool:. Wish you all the best, friend.

On a serious note, how does it sound...? My Hifi is just great.
the meridian 808 dac/cd player remains a fine machine - big bold soundstage, deep bass and not in the least fatiguing. Where the bartok improved matters was resolution, better flow and transience. when bartok 2.0 firmware was released it went one better - bigger, deeper soundstage , more resolution etc other dcs owners said it achived 85% of the rossini 2.0. the main thing which stood out was how good the bartok in built streamer is and its streaming over ethernet was better than over usb. this meant i did not need a stand alone streamer so i removed the aurender n20 from my set up which my wallet was very pleased about. I then introduced the rossini clock into the system which i purposely delayed as i wanted to hear what v2 did to the bartok. the clock has been an utter revelation. i cannot describe what it does but the music just flows so easily and i am tapping my feet to anything which is played - even - puff the magic dragon on spotify ( my 3 year old sons favourite). Out of curiosity, i did purchase an older melco server and that works very well sending music to the dcs dac over ethernet. i now have the option to get a rossini player apex at a good price and prior to the planned price increase and so i jumped at the chance. this means i no longer need both the 808/bartok as the rossini player has a built in cd transport. by all accounts the apex is a fantastic upgrade to the dcs range and the reworked analogue stages are so good that it removes the need for a pre amp.

Dom

the meridian 808 dac/cd player remains a fine machine - big bold soundstage, deep bass and not in the least fatiguing. Where the bartok improved matters was resolution, better flow and transience. when bartok 2.0 firmware was released it went one better - bigger, deeper soundstage , more resolution etc other dcs owners said it achived 85% of the rossini 2.0. the main thing which stood out was how good the bartok in built streamer is and its streaming over ethernet was better than over usb. this meant i did not need a stand alone streamer so i removed the aurender n20 from my set up which my wallet was very pleased about. I then introduced the rossini clock into the system which i purposely delayed as i wanted to hear what v2 did to the bartok. the clock has been an utter revelation. i cannot describe what it does but the music just flows so easily and i am tapping my feet to anything which is played - even - puff the magic dragon on spotify ( my 3 year old sons favourite). Out of curiosity, i did purchase an older melco server and that works very well sending music to the dcs dac over ethernet. i now have the option to get a rossini player apex at a good price and prior to the planned price increase and so i jumped at the chance. this means i no longer need both the 808/bartok as the rossini player has a built in cd transport. by all accounts the apex is a fantastic upgrade to the dcs range and the reworked analogue stages are so good that it removes the need for a pre amp.
This has to be the the best achievable or imaginable of its kind. I can only fantasies the experience you are having.
The problem with my Hifi is it doesn't allow me to truly feel the music like yours does and so to that end thanks for your considerations MrSinghsStereo and give my love to your family.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrSinghsStereo

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
IMG_3991.jpg

i have a new dac/streamer - the WiiM - connected to my CH Precision A1.5 power amp / Stenheim Alumine 3 speakers. A mismatch in size, weight and price - 100g v 188kg, £80 v £65,000 but fun all the same, the UI is excellent. and sound not bad. wow

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
if that was me i be flying round the earth !
83841B63-2B88-4387-BB68-6632349CCDB3.pngThe dCS Rossini Player Apex was finally delivered and sounds really good especially with the dCS Rossini master clock . Now experimenting with some vinyl . Bought the re release Sound Burger and also a fully working Technics SL7 linear tracking turntable (£7 from face book market place! ) . Using a Meridian Prime as a pre amp and also experimented using a WiiM mini as an ADC into the dCS DAC . Have ordered a Pro Ject E Box so I can compare the SL7 in analogue or digital . The new rack is a Solid Tech from Sweden .

Attachments

• 1BF87EB9-7BFD-4D15-BC2A-37A7FF2AF272.png
    1BF87EB9-7BFD-4D15-BC2A-37A7FF2AF272.png
    475.6 KB · Views: 6

Friesiansam

View attachment 4885The dCS Rossini Player Apex was finally delivered and sounds really good especially with the dCS Rossini master clock . Now experimenting with some vinyl . Bought the re release Sound Burger and also a fully working Technics SL7 linear tracking turntable (£7 from face book market place! ) . Using a Meridian Prime as a pre amp and also experimented using a WiiM mini as an ADC into the dCS DAC . Have ordered a Pro Ject E Box so I can compare the SL7 in analogue or digital . The new rack is a Solid Tech from Sweden .
If you don’t mind me saying so, it seems a little odd that you have bought those turntables, when the rest of your kit is so high-end.

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
If you don’t mind me saying so, it seems a little odd that you have bought those turntables, when the rest of your kit is so high-end.
I sold my Rega rp10 last year as I wasn’t really listening to it amidst the demands of a growing family . The sound burger was simply for occasional listening and it’s very small footprint ( the RP 10 comprised 3 boxes ) . The SL7 again is for the convenience that a linear tracking player brings . Most of my listening is cd , server and occasional streaming

Reactions: Friesiansam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts