What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 358 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Yesterday, after one side of Nick Cave, I played one side of Hovercraft - Akathisia.

There's something truly wonderful about Hovercraft, and as many times as I've played both of their albums, I still don't really know the records at all, and I think that's what I like the most. Every time a different guitar part or bass line comes in, I feel like I'm hearing it for the first time, and If you like stuff like Sonic Youth and have never heard of them, I wholeheartedly recommend you sit down and put one of their two albums (Akathisia / Experiment Below) on, and really listen to them. You'll find them on You Tube.

R-201462-1148809036.jpeg.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Now playing The Hollies - Greatest

They had some tunes, didn't they!

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Yesterday, after one side of Nick Cave, I played one side of Hovercraft - Akathisia.

There's something truly wonderful about Hovercraft, and as many times as I've played both of their albums, I still don't really know the records at all, and I think that's what I like the most. Every time a different guitar part or bass line comes in, I feel like I'm hearing it for the first time, and If you like stuff like Sonic Youth and have never heard of them, I wholeheartedly recommend you sit down and put one of their two albums (Akathisia / Experiment Below) on, and really listen to them. You'll find them on You Tube.

Wow, never heard of these. Amazing

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

knaithrover said:
Yeah listening to 'Experiment Below' as we speak (via Youtube) reminds me of Metal Box era PIL

I'll admit to not really knowing any PIL albums, though I do own one (Paris Au Printemps). I do know 'Metal Box' was considered pretty hard to listen to, so I can see how you could compare the two, though I'm not sure that PIL could quite match the absolute force of Hovercraft. I had the pleasure of seeing them live once, and they were quite incredible for a three-piece, and very, very loud.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
Yeah listening to 'Experiment Below' as we speak (via Youtube) reminds me of Metal Box era PIL

I'll admit to not really knowing any PIL albums, though I do own one (Paris Au Printemps). I do know 'Metal Box' was considered pretty hard to listen to, so I can see how you could compare the two, though I'm not sure that PIL could quite match the absolute force of Hovercraft. I had the pleasure of seeing them live once, and they were quite incredible for a three-piece, and very, very loud.

Metal Box is a great album musically very avant garde at the time considering it was a top ten record, it was the singing that made it a difficult listen but worthwhile and I still give it a spin to this day

Can't believe I missed Hovercraft....

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

knaithrover said:

A lot of people did. I managed to get Charlie Jefferson into them quite recently, and my wife actually likes them too.

I've very recently been asked to do a community radio show, and the first question I asked before agreeing to do it, was 'What music can I play?' . He told me I can play what I like, so 'Anthropod' by Hovercraft will be one of the first things I play. .............I'm not sure I'll get a 2nd show.*biggrin*

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:

A lot of people did. I managed to get Charlie Jefferson into them quite recently, and my wife actually likes them too.

I've very recently been asked to do a community radio show, and the first question I asked before agreeing to do it, was 'What music can I play?' . He told me I can play what I like, so 'Anthropod' by Hovercraft will be one of the first things I play. .............I'm not sure I'll get a 2nd show.*biggrin*

Ha, I would seriously love to hear that on the radio although I doubt many other people would. Spreading the word on this band to my muso friends, I know a couple of like minded chaps who will love them. Oh, and just realised why Hovercraft passed me by - I was on a 5 year bender 95 - 2000 and can't remember much at all from that period.......

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

knaithrover said:
Ha, I would seriously love to hear that on the radio although I doubt many other people would. Spreading the word on this band to my muso friends, I know a couple of like minded chaps who will love them. Oh, and just realised why Hovercraft passed me by - I was on a 5 year bender 95 - 2000 and can't remember much at all from that period.......

Only 5 years? *biggrin*

Spread the word, everyone should hear Hovercraft, and if I do do the radio show, it'll be on the net, so I'll notify you guys so you can all have a listen.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:

Only 5 years? *biggrin*

Spread the word, everyone should hear Hovercraft, and if I do do the radio show, it'll be on the net, so I'll notify you guys so you can all have a listen.

The 5 worst (or was it best?) years of a 20 year love affair with all things that were very bad for me.

Let us know when you are on (the radio) I would love a listen. 2 of my dream jobs are radio show host and record shop proprietor. Rest assured no Phil Collins or Queen on my show!!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Barclay James Harvest - Early Morning Onwards

Hey Freddy, I bet you like this, don't you? *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:

Only 5 years? *biggrin*

The 5 worst (or was it best?) years of a 20 year love affair with all things that were very bad for me.

Let us know when you are on (the radio) I would love a listen. 2 of my dream jobs are radio show host and record shop proprietor. Rest assured no Phil Collins or Queen on my show!!!

I still haven't said yes to the radio show host job yet, and if I don't hurry, it may well be withdrawn, and though I've never owned my own record shop, I have worked in one, though unfortunately, it was Our Price.

I can't see Collins or Queen making my show either. *smile*

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I still haven't said yes to the radio show host job yet

Ooh, I didn't know about this. If you do take it, do give some hints as to how to listen online if you're comfortable doing that, as I'd like to listen in.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
though I've never owned my own record shop, I have worked in one, though unfortunately, it was Our Price.

Me too. I still think we might be twins.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I still haven't said yes to the radio show host job yet

Ooh, I didn't know about this. If you do take it, do give some hints as to how to listen online if you're comfortable doing that, as I'd like to listen in.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
though I've never owned my own record shop, I have worked in one, though unfortunately, it was Our Price.

Me too. I still think we might be twins.

I've just contacted the radio guy now, but yes, if they want me still, I'll certainly let you all know.

I was in a few different Our Price's when I was in London (Kingston/Wimbledon/Croydon), which one did you work in?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

It's a compilation, containing some tracks I know/like, and some I've never heard of. TBH, I'm not a huge fan, but I do have a soft spot for 'Once Again' and 'And Other Short Stories', the latter being my favourite. Of the others that I've heard, to me they're something and nothing. Having said that, I need to listen to 'Time Honoured Ghosts' which seems to be quite popular among BJH fans.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

It's a compilation, containing some tracks I know/like, and some I've never heard of. TBH, I'm not a huge fan, but I do have a soft spot for 'Once Again' and 'And Other Short Stories', the latter being my favourite. Of the others that I've heard, to me they're something and nothing. Having said that, I need to listen to 'Time Honoured Ghosts' which seems to be quite popular among BJH fans.

I liked some of it, and some (as you say) were something and nothing, a little bland really.

I only played it to know where to file it, and it's ended up in 60s/70s Rock, though it could almost have gone in the Acoustic/Country Rock section.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I was in a few different Our Price's when I was in London (Kingston/Wimbledon/Croydon), which one did you work in?

Ah, I was out in the sticks. It was my first job after I left school. I didn't manage to keep it that long! (Bit unruly in those days.) I bet my manager still hates me.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I'm listening to the fantastic album Hard times by Peter Skellern. One Mr George Harrison Plays guitar on the song Make love not war.

My parents used to play Peter Skellern constantly in the 70's, I still like 'kissing in the cactus' due to their brainwashing.....

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

knaithrover said:
MrReaper182 said:
I'm listening to the fantastic album Hard times by Peter Skellern. One Mr George Harrison Plays guitar on the song Make love not war.

My parents used to play Peter Skellern constantly in the 70's, I still like 'kissing in the cactus' due to their brainwashing.....

Peter Skellern. Not someone I ever imagined would make this thread. *wink*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts