What to buy?

KOTHMMlaugh

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I feel I'm going through some sort of mid life crisis but for the last 3-4 months I've had a deep yearning to buy a turntable and start a vinyl collection
smiley-smile.gif

I'm looking for some advice as to what to buy. I have a budget of around 800 pounds and need the new turntable and amp (I have an old set of B&W DM601 speakers that I plan to use initially). I don't want to buy used mainly because I'm not ready for complex setting up/replacing parts etc.

For the turntable I'm thinking about the Project Debut Carbon but if I spent less on the amp I could stretch to the Rega RP3 if it would be better in terms of longevity. My only concern I have with the project turntable is this hum/noise that seems to get mentioned on a lot of the forums.

For the amp I'm thinking about Marantz pm6004, yamaha as500 or the Rotel ra-10. I'm leaning towards the rotel but the other 2 are cheaper which would mean I could spend a bit more on the deck.

I live in Belfast so there is virtually no opportunity to go and hear this equipment so I'd appreciate some experience advice.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
if you can stretch to a £1000 then how about a Brio R and RP3/Elys - the Brio R would drive those B&Ws just lovely.....

I really think ther extra £200 on the Brio R over the Marantz is well worth it - The Brio R has a very good phono stage!

Also the RP3/Elys 2 will come set up and aligned....all you will need to do is balance the arm, set the anti skate/bias easy!!!

Whatever route you go you will love vinyl, ive never looked back......I love it!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Can I just mention that I think you can get a 10% discount off turntables at Superfi if you order online using discount code TURN10.

The price of the Debut Carbon is £299 everywhere but you can get £30 off.

Cheers

Dave

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
if you can stretch to a £1000 then how about a Brio R and RP3/Elys - the Brio R would drive those B&Ws just lovely.....

I really think ther extra £200 on the Brio R over the Marantz is well worth it - The Brio R has a very good phono stage!

Also the RP3/Elys 2 will come set up and aligned....all you will need to do is balance the arm, set the anti skate/bias easy!!!

Whatever route you go you will love vinyl, ive never looked back......I love it!

You took the words right out of my mouth! :cheer:

And you don't have to worry about upgrades for a few years, only for the speakers... :twisted:

And welcome to the Forum!

Best REGArds

KOTHMMlaugh

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

Any ideas how to pacify the wife after you lay out 1000 on new hifi equipment
smiley-tongue-out.gif
????

btw I keep reading good things about the rotel ra-10 although I'm not sure about having to get out of my chair to adjust the volume as needed :rockout:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts