What to buy with £150?

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Planning to buy a new DVD player for my Dad for Christmas, planning to spend about £150 so was thinking about the Denon DVD-1740, it is for a second room as the main room has a Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray.

Was thinking for the money is the Denon better than the Sony at up scaling or for a slightly inferior picture is the Sony a better deal with the added Blu Ray?

If neither for £150 which is player is best?

A

Anonymous

for £150 I can't see a better deal that the 350 with the 5 blu ray disks through amazon....

other have said the upscaling for dvd on the 350 is similar to the denon's, but i don't have personal experience of this....yet.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
How big is the screen in the second room, and is it HD Ready or Full HD? These are all questions that obviously have a lot of bearing on the scaling involved for any player!

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
As above, is the set HD ready? Would you not benefit from another Bluray player? Does the player need to be multi-region? I would question the logic in spending £150 on an older technology, you can certainly get decent players for a lot less. I haven't kept up with DVD players as I've been HD for a while now but my last DVD player (Sony 76H) was a cracker and cost me £90 or so. I've read that the Oppo players are excellent and the 981 comes in under budget and is multi-region. http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/oppo_981h.htm I've bought a hdmi switch from them in the past so can vouch for them. It's a pity there aren't any Tosh EP-30 HDDVD players still knocking around as they're cracking upscalers and obviously have the added bonus of being HDDVD with a massive (cheap) back catalogue of films both to buy and to hire from the likes of LoveFilm.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
bballtom:
Planning to buy a new DVD player for my Dad for Christmas, planning to spend about £150 so was thinking about the Denon DVD-1740, it is for a second room as the main room has a Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray.

Was thinking for the money is the Denon better than the Sony at up scaling or for a slightly inferior picture is the Sony a better deal with the added Blu Ray?

If neither for £150 which is player is best?

You can get the Denon 1940 for less than £150 and it's the next model up from the 1740. I would not spend that sort of money on a dvd player for a second room screen. I would go for something like the Cambridge Audio player at Richer Sounds for £70 and then add some box sets with the rest.

If the screen is not HD ready, I would stick to a dvd player rather than the Bluray mentioned. If it's HD ready, it's a no brainer, the deal for the S350 with free films for around that price is ridiculous value.

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:How big is the screen in the second room, and is it HD Ready or Full HD? These are all questions that obviously have a lot of bearing on the scaling involved for any player!

The second TV is a sharp 42" LCD 1080p. They have a living room with one set up then a "family room" with the second. Most of the film watching will go on in the living room with the Blu Ray player but Dad want's an up scaler for the second TV. Forgot to explain that the present is from 3 of us hence the reason for wanting to spend a bit more. Did think spending £150 on a DVD player might be a bit much so that's why I'm considering a second Blu Ray player.

TRENDING THREADS